Author Topic: Happy Birthday Sidoh!  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday Sidoh!
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:28 am »
Happy Birthday Chris!

Have a good day and a safe night.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Sidoh!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:06:17 pm »
HB SIR!!!
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:43:07 pm »

I baked you a cake... you should eat it before your whole apartment complex breaks in to eat it for you

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... oh god, that was great zach.  that gave both diane and i quite a laugh.  thanks. :)

thanks all!  much appreciated. :)

i had to give my end-of-summer presentation to over 100 people today.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »

I baked you a cake... you should eat it before your whole apartment complex breaks in to eat it for you
The doily makes me laugh. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »

The doily makes me laugh. :)

homo :)

Do you watch True Blood, iago?  I think you'd rather like Alexander Skarsgard.

And also... above 95% of the tenants in my apartment complex have 100% more melanin than I.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »
I'm glad now that I didn't post what I originally typed, "I love the doily" :P

And also... above 95% of the tenants in my apartment complex have 100% more melanin than I.
No, but that's the second time I've heard that today. I was installing OpenOffice on Gentoo from source, and for some reason they added a configure argument to set the "drink" to "True Blood", so instead of "go have a cup of tea" it says "go have a cup of True Blood". That got me talking to my friend, and he suggested the show. That was this morning. True story. :)

And, in case you're wondering, OpenOffice is still compiling. :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:35:58 pm »
I'm glad now that I didn't post what I originally typed, "I love the doily" :P

No, but that's the second time I've heard that today. I was installing OpenOffice on Gentoo from source, and for some reason they added a configure argument to set the "drink" to "True Blood", so instead of "go have a cup of tea" it says "go have a cup of True Blood". That got me talking to my friend, and he suggested the show. That was this morning. True story. :)

And, in case you're wondering, OpenOffice is still compiling. :)

You don't make a very compelling argument at all for me to switch to Gentoo from Slackware. Compiling binaries sucks ass. :P
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:58 am »
You don't make a very compelling argument at all for me to switch to Gentoo from Slackware. Compiling binaries sucks ass. :P
For the bigger packages, like openoffice and firefox, there are -bin versions available which simply download and install the binaries.

It's possible for people to make ebuilds for anything, whether it's sourcecode, pre-compiled apps, commercial closed-source apps, etc. emerge doesn't *have* to compile stuff, and, in some cases, doesn't.

I'm only doing openoffice from source because I'm curious how long it'd take, and because it's fun to try :)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »
For the bigger packages, like openoffice and firefox, there are -bin versions available which simply download and install the binaries.

It's possible for people to make ebuilds for anything, whether it's sourcecode, pre-compiled apps, commercial closed-source apps, etc. emerge doesn't *have* to compile stuff, and, in some cases, doesn't.

I'm only doing openoffice from source because I'm curious how long it'd take, and because it's fun to try :)

iago using Gentoo? :O

It's as close to FreeBSD as you can get in Linux.  I think Slackware with pkgsrc is as close to OpenBSD as you can get in Linux (especially because of rc).

Erm, Happy Birthday Sidoh!
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:13:45 pm »

It's as close to FreeBSD as you can get in Linux.  I think Slackware with pkgsrc is as close to OpenBSD as you can get in Linux (especially because of rc).

Slackware epically failed on my netbook, because it needed a customized kernel + other nonsense that Slackware struggled with, so I tried Gentoo. FreeBSD also failed, for what it's worth -- I'm sure it could have been fixed, but I didn't care enough.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »

Slackware epically failed on my netbook, because it needed a customized kernel + other nonsense that Slackware struggled with, so I tried Gentoo. FreeBSD also failed, for what it's worth -- I'm sure it could have been fixed, but I didn't care enough.

Well, you're forced to compile a kernel during the Gentoo "installation" process.  I never knew humans could be installers ... but then, OpenBSD's "installer" experience is much like Gentoo's, only that you don't need to copy files, compile a kernel or configure a boot loader.

How do you like portage?

EDIT: For FreeBSD, might want to look here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:21:25 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »

Well, you're forced to compile a kernel during the Gentoo "installation" process.  I never knew humans could be installers ... but then, OpenBSD's "installer" experience is much like Gentoo's, only that you don't need to copy files, compile a kernel or configure a boot loader.

How do you like portage?

EDIT: For FreeBSD, might want to look here.
It wasn't an Asus, it's Toshiba. I guess it isn't technically a "NetBook", just a tiny laptop. It didn't recognize my ethernet, wireless, video, or basically anything else by default. So I said screw it.

Portage is what emerge is part of, right? It's nice.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 12:47:30 pm »
This is definitely off topic now. :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:48:51 pm »
This is definitely off topic now. :P
You're off topic.