Author Topic: Downtime tonight  (Read 7827 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Downtime tonight
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:51:43 am »
Well, tonight's the night. I'm finally swapping out my old dying server with some awesome new hardware I bought. The new server is going to be running Gentoo, the Web server and database server are going to be on the physical hardware (not a VM), so I'll be able to take proper advantage of the quad-core chip and the full memory, and it has the latest versions of Apache/PHP (this server's been slipping). It's going to be awesome, faster, and far easier to update!

I'm hoping to start this at about 8 or  9 CST, and it should take a couple hours.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Downtime tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:41:14 am »
Ok, we're back. There's going to be a ton of broken stuff, anything that uses a database needs to be changed. But, I got the forum up! :)

Let me know if you notice a speed difference, I'm curious if this new hardware helps.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:47 am »
I see a spell check button. Eh?

It's curious that you're not isolating your web / mysql servers anymore.

EDIT -
The description of Paradise Lost displays incorrectly now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:16:13 am by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Yeah, I weighed the pros and cons, and decided to keep it local. I'm considering movies the MySQL server back to a VM now.

Interesting @ the shellcheck button. I guess the server has the required software to support spellcheck now.

For what it's worth, I'm running Gentoo now, not Slackware.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:59:06 am »
So, I enabled some extra security for the forum. I've been using it for most of my sites, but it typically caused slowdown so I avoided using it for the forum. I think this server is fast enough that it won't make a difference, and it didn't seem to hurt my response times, so I'm going to leave it on.

Let me know if you notice any non-network slowness (best way is to check the "Page created in..." time at the bottom).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:03:16 pm »
So, I enabled some extra security for the forum. I've been using it for most of my sites, but it typically caused slowdown so I avoided using it for the forum. I think this server is fast enough that it won't make a difference, and it didn't seem to hurt my response times, so I'm going to leave it on.

Let me know if you notice any non-network slowness (best way is to check the "Page created in..." time at the bottom).

what'd you do? >: (

PS: speed is fine.  better than it usually is.

You totally fucked up my signature, though.  THANKS A LOT!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:49 pm »

YEAH, YOU JERK!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »
I used this important event to re-add my old avatar.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »
In terms of security features, I enabled suPHP. It basically runs PHP through CGI, and runs the scripts as the other rather than as the apache user. So if somebody compromises one site, they don't automatically get access to others.

Hmm, that's interesting considering I didn't modify SMF at all. It must be Apache or MySQL doing something different. Is that a unicode/utf8 problem?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:29:44 pm »
In terms of security features, I enabled suPHP. It basically runs PHP through CGI, and runs the scripts as the other rather than as the apache user. So if somebody compromises one site, they don't automatically get access to others.

Hmm, that's interesting considering I didn't modify SMF at all. It must be Apache or MySQL doing something different. Is that a unicode/utf8 problem?

Are you using the same character set as before?  That's my guess.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »

Ah, yeah.  That's kind of what I figured.  The host I used to be with did that, and it seemed to cause all sorts of performance issues.  Of course, you're not hosting dozens of people on your box, so I'm sure it doesn't matter.  Just a story. :)

Yeah -- it's almost definitely an encoding problem.  I'd imagine that it was some sort of unicode.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:24 pm »

Ah, yeah.  That's kind of what I figured.  The host I used to be with did that, and it seemed to cause all sorts of performance issues.  Of course, you're not hosting dozens of people on your box, so I'm sure it doesn't matter.  Just a story. :)
When I enabled it before, it caused issues on the higher traffic sites, so I only enabled it on the smaller ones. This time, I enabled it on everything except skullsecurity.org, because that's the one that gets Slashdotted on occasion. :)

It is significantly worse than straight php, though, because everything goes through cgi which is ass slow.

Yeah -- it's almost definitely an encoding problem.  I'd imagine that it was some sort of unicode.
Yeah, dunno. If you edit the signature, can you put the characters back?

I don't know if it's Apache, MySQL, the OS, SMF, or something else breaking it, and I'm not sure how I'd troubleshoot that.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 11:24:19 pm »
Haha, I don't care man.  I had to search pretty hard for something to bitch about.

grats on the new hardware :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 10:48:12 am »
Haha, I don't care man.  I had to search pretty hard for something to bitch about.
It's still gonna bug me. :P

grats on the new hardware :)
Thanks! :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:28 pm »
Weird... it's like you don't support Unicode anymore or something!  I re-entered both my title and Alfr?d R?nyi (supposed to appear this way: http://grab.by/6RWV), and neither are showing up correctly.  Non-ASCII characters are replaced with '?'.