Poll

If a zombie freezes solid, then thaws, will it keep going?

Yes, it's fine
8 (66.7%)
No, it's dead dead
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Frozen zombies?  (Read 8048 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen zombies?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:00 pm »
The virus that creates a zombie produces a sort of antifreeze in the blood stream, which is absorbed by all portions of the body, much like creatures that live in the sub-freezing waters of the arctic. Therefore the zombies can live in sub-freezing temperatures without the ice forming in damaging ways.
I've never heard of this. I think iago needs to clear up which zombie lore we're going off of. :P
errr... something like that...

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »
Lore?  It's called "reality".  Durrr.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:32 am »
The virus that creates a zombie produces a sort of antifreeze in the blood stream
You mean the blood stream that coagulates?  And all the cells that stop mitosising?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »
I'm fairly sure it's dependent on the method of freezing. For example, if a cryoprotectant were used to protect the cells, it'd be just fine. However, if it were just slowly frozen and nice large crystals were allowed to form, not so much. :(
Well, the original argument was about whether or not they'd survive the winter, so I'll take your answer as "no".
But how much data do you have on the migratory patterns of zombies? I'm fairly sure that's important. :P
I don't think they have the intelligence to migrate, but good thought. :)

Is migration a trait of intelligence? Birds aren't so smart, and they migrate.
Intelligence was the wrong word. While it's true that zombies exist purely on instinct, I'm not sure that humans (for the most part) have the instinctive need to go south for winter.

Maybe the elderly zombies.. :)

I'm fairly certain early humans used to migrate.  So if zombies embody only basic human instincts than they'd probably be migratory.

[Edit]
There also needs to be an option that says: "No, it wouldn't freeze because zombies migrate!"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:33:49 pm by AntiVirus »
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:07:36 pm »
If zombies are already dead to begin with, then freezing them, putting them in the oven, microwaving them, beheading them, shooting them, etc... shouldn't make them any deader.  The fact that they're animate at all violates all sorts of physical laws so violating more shouldn't hurt, right?

Movies have it all wrong.  By my logic, zombies can't possibly "die" through physical harm ... the frightening fact is that the only way to render them inanimate is to actually destroy the matter from which they are made!  These zombie survivors in the movies should have been equipped with handheld tactical nukes ...

P.S. Being a zombie is like god-mode in Quake at the price of your intelligence and motor skills!  Immortality as a retarded zombie, or mortality as a sophisticated human?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:13:00 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 12:20:20 am »
That's a misconception perpetrated by Return of the Living Dead, which was NOT made by a respectable film maker.
Return of the living dead was great, and you're a jerk.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 12:45:47 am »
The only cure for zombie infestation is purification by fire. You know this to be true, James Raynor.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 11:12:04 am »
If zombies are already dead to begin with, then freezing them, putting them in the oven, microwaving them, beheading them, shooting them, etc... shouldn't make them any deader.  The fact that they're animate at all violates all sorts of physical laws so violating more shouldn't hurt, right?

Movies have it all wrong.  By my logic, zombies can't possibly "die" through physical harm ... the frightening fact is that the only way to render them inanimate is to actually destroy the matter from which they are made!  These zombie survivors in the movies should have been equipped with handheld tactical nukes ...

P.S. Being a zombie is like god-mode in Quake at the price of your intelligence and motor skills!  Immortality as a retarded zombie, or mortality as a sophisticated human?
Return of the Living Dead took that one step further. The zombies not only couldn't be destroyed through physical harm, when they were burnt the smoke formed into rain which caused a whole new wave of zombies to show up.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 04:41:55 pm »

Return of the Living Dead took that one step further. The zombies not only couldn't be destroyed through physical harm, when they were burnt the smoke formed into rain which caused a whole new wave of zombies to show up.

Zombie rain?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 01:13:50 am »
Zombie rain? Made me cross the street the other day.
Zombie rain? Say it publicly and you're insane.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »
This is the most recent thread about zombies, so I am using it to say that the new zombie show on AMC or one of those channels no one ever watches is pretty awesome. Way better than anything I ever expected to show up as a TV show. The show is The Walking Dead for anyone that hasn't seen it.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow