Author Topic: What the hell is wrong with PC games these days  (Read 15977 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is wrong with PC games these days
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »
I agree. I really feel like the DRM implemented in commercial releases hurts legitimate customers. I can remember the fiasco with Assassin's Creed 2. Basically, you had to be online the entire time while you were playing a single player game. If you lost your connection, you'd be kicked back to a checkpoint. They then patched this so you would start in the exact spot your connection was lost. Either way, it was completely retarded. There is *NO* reason I should have to be online to play a single player game. I'll accept online activation, but not the constant connection or even the requirement I be online to start the game up after activation.

The DRM is punishing legitimate consumers by badgering them any time they want to just play the game. I don't always have an internet connection, but that's not a good reason I shouldn't be able to play the games I purchased. Furthermore, piracy is an issue on xbox (albeit it, not as big of one), yet there is no such requirement for me to connect to the internet for me to play my xbox games. The PC shouldn't require significant differences. A cd key to prevent the same license from being used at the same time online, and that's good.

EVE!

Lot's of fun, but it's hard.
What's the time commitment on this?

errr... something like that...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:08 am »
It depends on what you want to do.  If you enjoy mining, you'll make no profits but you can basically do it with no effort.

PvE can be fun.  You'll make decent money and it's relatively safe, and you can put in as much or as little time as you want.

PvP is by far the most fun.  You'll lose money until you're good, at which point you'll make lots of money.  Maybe 3 hours a couple nights a week is plenty (though I play more).

Regardless, as a new character you'll have to log on at least once a day, just for a couple minutes, to update your skill queue.  Later on you won't need to do that, as some of the higher end skills take over a month realtime to train, so you can basically just set them and go on vacation.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 02:45:18 pm »
It depends on what you want to do.  If you enjoy mining, you'll make no profits but you can basically do it with no effort.

PvE can be fun.  You'll make decent money and it's relatively safe, and you can put in as much or as little time as you want.

PvP is by far the most fun.  You'll lose money until you're good, at which point you'll make lots of money.  Maybe 3 hours a couple nights a week is plenty (though I play more).

Regardless, as a new character you'll have to log on at least once a day, just for a couple minutes, to update your skill queue.  Later on you won't need to do that, as some of the higher end skills take over a month realtime to train, so you can basically just set them and go on vacation.

Interesting. EVE has interested me since I quit SWG in 2005. Can you describe the gameplay? Can you compare it to WoW or any MMO you may have played before?
errr... something like that...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 02:54:49 pm »
Wait... there are games outside of WoW? :O

I haven't touched WoW in weeks.  This expansion was a big let down :(
Yeah, I stopped playing for awhile.  However, since I lead a guild with friends I came back.  I am not enjoying what they did to healing.  I'm glad it isn't the Wotlk model, but this one is probably less fun. Oh well, leveling my hunter and very much enjoying it.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 11:01:15 pm »

Interesting. EVE has interested me since I quit SWG in 2005. Can you describe the gameplay? Can you compare it to WoW or any MMO you may have played before?
hmm

What I've been doing with my corp ("guild" if you're that king of person) recently has basically amounted to the following:

Kill everything

There's a lot I was going to talk about but then there was a big battle so I stopped and now it's late so I'll explain tomorrow.

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 12:32:57 am »
To be fair though, Bulletstorm was hideous. It was gears of war minus an actual cover system, so even if you had been able to sneak past Steam upon playing, you would have walked into a headshot right as it loaded.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 01:51:40 pm »
I want to play that game where I do laundry, only it's virtual laundry so somehow it's fun (making fun of that cooking game)!
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:41 pm »
Desert Bus!!!

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 12:51:10 am »
Desert Bus!!!

We dont talk about that, that never existed, nor did it work on the sega cd...

He knows too much.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 12:19:15 am »
An even bigger problem than games that have various DRM features is the newfound lack of community in virtually any video game. Back in the days of SC, aka 10-15 years ago, I don't remember there being people so preoccupied with building uber teams. Everyone just wanted to have a good time. Now every game keeps statistics, and if you don't meet $ARBITRARY_CUTOFF because you don't spend all day gaming, you find yourself booted into the lobby countless times. Or if you do manage to get into a game it's an hour of "OMG NOOB NOOB NOOB NOOB NOOB OMG GOD YOU FUCKIGN SUCK" ad infinitum. As a casual gamer, fuck that. I play maybe an hour or two a week. I want to have fun, not worry if I am ubar leet ten year old videogamer. Have more important things to worry about.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 09:07:00 am »
So, my friend brought his PS3 over so we can play Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. But, it turns out the game won't start until it has an Internet connection, even though it's an offline 2-player game, so we had to spend a bunch of extra time getting the networks set up before we can play a damn offline game!

Lame++