Author Topic: Tablets + Traveling  (Read 10939 times)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Tablets + Traveling
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »
Well, with Android, I can just write my own damn app and not pay Apple to rape me/ force me to buy a Mac.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:14:14 pm »
You could, but you probably won't. :)

As a tablet device, I'm pretty convinced the iPad is superior for most applications. As a netbook, it's significantly worse. I recommended the Transformer 'cause you wanted a netbook, not because I despise Apple.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »
Apple charging me a developer fee/ subscription to legally develop for their platform pisses me off.  They can suck it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:56 pm »
I agree; it's pretty stupid. But again, unless you're already a mobile application developer, chances are it's not going to be a problem.

Not like you have to legally develop anything. The Cydia apps tend to be more interesting than the appstore garbage anyway.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 09:50:13 am »
I'm still mad I can't develop iPod/Phone/Pad/Max apps on windows :|

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 11:18:54 am »
I agree; it's pretty stupid. But again, unless you're already a mobile application developer, chances are it's not going to be a problem.

Not like you have to legally develop anything. The Cydia apps tend to be more interesting than the appstore garbage anyway.

I know I can jailbreak and install Cydia, but for me it's a matter of principle.  I should not have to feel like I'm doing something wrong/ breaking their AUP/ToS in order to freely develop for their platform.

Aye, it's silly.  There's no good technical reason why we shouldn't be able to do so.   I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing that Apple intentionally makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to run a legally purchased/ licensed copy of OSX in a VM on a PC.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:23:13 am by while1 »

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:42 pm »
My ASUS Transformer arrived today.  Me likey.  I find myself using the touch screen and the keyboard- much more efficient to type searches and what not with the keyboard, while simply navigating via the touch screen.  So far I've been able to find and download all the apps I have on my iPhone that I care about... although the Netflix app doesn't seem to be working out of the box even though it came pre-installed... I click to open it and it just brings me to Google Play >_>;  Anyways, upgrading to Android ICS right now.

It feels solid, and even though a bit heavier than I expected, I kind of like the heaviness as it makes me feel like I can really fuck someone up with it if they tried to mess with me, jk :D.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:54:02 pm by while1 »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 03:19:53 pm »
As a tablet device, I'm pretty convinced the iPad is superior for most applications. As a netbook, it's significantly worse.

Sums up the iPad nicely. I want a tablet device, I'll likely be getting an iPad over summer. Just to toy with, really. And develop on!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:04 pm »

I know I can jailbreak and install Cydia, but for me it's a matter of principle.  I should not have to feel like I'm doing something wrong/ breaking their AUP/ToS in order to freely develop for their platform.

Aye, it's silly.  There's no good technical reason why we shouldn't be able to do so.   I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing that Apple intentionally makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to run a legally purchased/ licensed copy of OSX in a VM on a PC.

Principles are stupid. :)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:03 am »
OS X requires a TPM.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »
My ASUS Transformer arrived today.  Me likey.  I find myself using the touch screen and the keyboard- much more efficient to type searches and what not with the keyboard, while simply navigating via the touch screen.  So far I've been able to find and download all the apps I have on my iPhone that I care about... although the Netflix app doesn't seem to be working out of the box even though it came pre-installed... I click to open it and it just brings me to Google Play >_>;  Anyways, upgrading to Android ICS right now.

It feels solid, and even though a bit heavier than I expected, I kind of like the heaviness as it makes me feel like I can really fuck someone up with it if they tried to mess with me, jk :D.

OTB w/shit on it? :(. That's one thing I loved about my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone; no pre-installed bullshit (other than basic Google stuff).

what about the mouse on the dock? you prefer that over tapping the screen?

I hating my greasy fingers being all over screens :(

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 08:52:30 pm »
while, still like?

I'm thinkin about getting an ASUS Infinity 700 w/dock. only draw back is that the weight will suck if I try to use on lap (I do most of my at-home computing from laptop/couch). You have input in that regard?