Author Topic: duckduckgo search engine  (Read 11876 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: duckduckgo search engine
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:04 am »
I pretty much type all URLs.

ddg.gg is still kinda tricky to type.. :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 10:53:07 am »
I use F6 tab type for google search rather than going to google itself.  I love my search box.  I'd do the same for ddg, but I need to get a search thingy for it first.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »
I'm not necessarily trying to get anyone to convert to DuckDuckGo, but I do find it interesting and shared it with you guys. As I've said, I think it has some interesting features and think it's promising ... we'll see if it continues to grow (or is bought out).

Based on the creator's previous venture, my guess is that he is trying to get DDG bought out.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 02:54:49 pm »
Well, I'm willing to give it a shot. I changed my Firefox search box to it. I'll report back in a few days. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/duck-duck-go-ssl/

<edit> already annoyed that when I click a link in its results, it doesn't take me to the site but to a redirect page. I hate those things.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 06:39:14 pm »
I'm not necessarily trying to get anyone to convert to DuckDuckGo, but I do find it interesting and shared it with you guys. As I've said, I think it has some interesting features and think it's promising ... we'll see if it continues to grow (or is bought out).

Based on the creator's previous venture, my guess is that he is trying to get DDG bought out.

Yeah, sounds that way. I'm a little skeptical about that, though. It seems like one of its major selling points is its promise of privacy, which could very well go out the window if it were bought out.

I rather like plugin thing, but it's pretty clear that Google couldn't (or at least would never want to) adopt that model for obvious reasons.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:36 pm »
I also came across this:
http://duckduckgo.com/goodies.html

Just a larger extension of what duckduckhack shows you. Google can do some of these too.

The phone number thing is pretty cool ... a little more instant I guess.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 02:04:41 am »
Well, after looking at the goodies.html/tech.html pages, I decided to make ddg my default Chrome search engine for a while. I'll report back differences in a couple of weeks, since I do use Chrome's built-in search functionality quite a bit. I'll have to remember to use all the cool tricks that ddg offers.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 03:08:56 pm »
So far, I don't mind using it. The biggest drawback so far is the lack of a 'search images' button, which I apparently use fairly regularly.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 03:14:35 pm »
So far, I don't mind using it. The biggest drawback so far is the lack of a 'search images' button, which I apparently use fairly regularly.

I think you can just use !img or something similar, which probably doesn't take much more time to use if you get used to it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »

I think you can just use !img or something similar, which probably doesn't take much more time to use if you get used to it.

That'd be better, if it works like that. Maybe I should learn more.. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »
Yeah, tack "!img" on the end of your search query and it redirects to google images. Kinda cheap, but whatever. It works, I guess.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 07:40:35 pm »
!bi goes to bing images
!gi goes to google images
Maybe !yi goes to yahoo images...

Yeah, it is kind of cheap.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 10:17:13 am »
<edit> already annoyed that when I click a link in its results, it doesn't take me to the site but to a redirect page. I hate those things.
I was looking through the settings, and it turns out that's optional (default on) and is to prevent the site you visit from seeing your query. So, thanks to that explanation, I support it. :)