Author Topic: WoW -vs- GW  (Read 14835 times)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
WoW -vs- GW
« on: October 09, 2005, 01:16:12 pm »
I don't have either, but it seems it's split down the middle among people who like and disklike them.  Input would be nice because I may buy one or the other here soon.

....GO!
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: WoW -vs- GW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:22:33 pm »
I'm actually glad this has come up because I'm anxious to see what Mythix and Screenor have to say about the game since they've both played GW a good amount and have just recently gotten WoW.

For me, it's WoW by a long shot.  GW is fun, but it's no comparison IMO.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 01:50:33 pm »
ok, I've been playing gw for quite some time, and many hours into playing time(260 hours in 3 months). The game has gottenboring and I rarely play it  now.    If you want a game that you can play for a few months without getting bored, get GW. But if you want a game that has a monthly payment and you wont get bored of it, get WoW. From what ive heard, WoW owns GW, and I'm thinking of getting it come the next break from school (it is highly addictive)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 02:20:27 pm »
If Blaze can hook up that free copy, I may play it. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 06:58:46 pm »
monthly payment!

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:17:47 pm »
The $12? monthly payment is only the real downfall I see towards WoW, I don't understand why you would spend ~$50 on a game, and then pay ~$10 a month to play it, I see it as dumb.

50 + 10(12) = $170 for the first year..

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 09:20:54 pm »
The $12? monthly payment is only the real downfall I see towards WoW, I don't understand why you would spend ~$50 on a game, and then pay ~$10 a month to play it, I see it as dumb.

50 + 10(12) = $170 for the first year..

If you have the time to play it, and are mature enough to be able to afford it (most members here [and at vL's forums] can find a way to pay for it, the ones who matter anyway. I pride myself it attempting to keep this community mostly mature and successful; IE no 12-year-old kids bitching about the price of the game due to their allowance not being able to cover it).
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 12:03:35 am »
If you are trying to indicate that I am a 12yr old, you are sadly mistaken, and I wouldn't have a problem paying for it, I just find it to be retarded to spend $50 on a game, and have to pay for it every month. Just to let you in on my financial situation, I'm 18, I make $10.70/hr stocking groceries, I get roughly 36hrs per week, I fill my tank twice a week with plus gas, usually runs me around $26 per tank, and I pay $105 per month for my car itself, along with my hosting fee which is only like $10, so me making a ~$1200 per month, and spending lets just say $300, I don't think that $12 out of my left over $900 is a big issue.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 12:10:15 am »
Then, after that 1 month trial you get, if you decide to pay for it by month, you shouldn't have a problem. There is no reason to bitch about the payment, if you don't like it then don't play it. Not a hard concept.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 12:12:49 am »
I wasn't bitching, I was simply stating that that is the only downfall I see.

The $12? monthly payment is only the real downfall I see towards WoW

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 12:49:01 am »
I wasn't bitching, I was simply stating that that is the only downfall I see.

The payment is more of a pro than a con, it keeps players who aren't serious (immature) off of the game for the rest of us to enjoy it.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 08:18:45 am »
Newby, download+run a WDDG server on your windows box. Even though its bugged to hell, it still shows you how roxor the game is.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 10:02:06 pm »
I make around $25/hr when I have work.  I usually have work when I want work, especially since I usually don't want it.  :P

$15/mo is completely negligible for how much fun the game is.  Stop bitching about it if you don't want to play it and don't try to convince other people that it's not worth the extra money.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 10:09:14 pm »

You people don't seem to understand that I'm not bitching, I was stating an opinion, and trying to get more than 2 peoples inputs on whether or not it's worth the $X per month.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 12:53:36 am »
Alright, I played GW since the week it came out, and was a HUGE fan of it, however, it's like a 3D copy of D2 (seriously, GW uses the same port as B.net, and Arena Net (the makers of GW) are ex-workers of Blizzard North), anyways, I had logged 360+ hours on my full GW account, over a period of months. For WoW, which I've had about 4 days, I've logged almost 2 days on it already, and still counting. Now, I beleive it's a bit too early for me to really judge on what is more fun, because I'm only currently level 16 in the game, but I enjoy every aspect of WoW, now this is where it begins to sound nerdy, so bare with me;

GW was fine, however, it was a bunch of kids who acted e-thugish, and were always cursing and calling everyone else gay.
WoW, kids through adults, most from what I've seen on TS with Sidoh, a lot of them are younger then me, so anyways, these same aged kids, spell almost perfectly everywhere I go in the game, no one curses like a blubbering vagina, nearly everyone's mature (nearly, we can't all have brains).

People talk like Pirates in WoW, so it's like a Madcox slugfest except without the flaming.

You can really feel like your character in WoW, you can match nearly every aspect of your true self to the game (this is where it gets addicting because it's like an upgrade of your real life).

I have not yet even seen Sidoh in game, however, I've played with Mythix and TSE an AWFUL lot, but me and TSE do a lot of clipping glitches and such so I don't expect this to get old fast (I'll post shit on it later).

But yeah, so far I've enjoyed WoW a lot more, and by the way, for all you mathhats out there, you can subtract the first month of payment from those numbers, because the first month is free, and if you order via bigger time frames, you can slim the price down by an awful lot, so quit your bitching, this game is extremely welcomed for anyone with free time on their hands.

I strongly suggest WoW over GW, there's just so much to do, and I can't fit it all into one day like I did GW, or even four (since that's how long I've had this).