Author Topic: Question..  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Question..
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 12:25:34 am »
And yet, people are forced to buy Windows XP when they buy a new computer, most of the time.  Is that fair at all?

Not true. There is an option for no operating system installed.

Why would a company install a product that is free, when they could install a corporation's product and get on the corporation's good side (which could get $$$ and cheap products)?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 09:48:16 am »
When I bought my laptop, the guy at Best Buy assured me that every laptop they sell comes with Windows XP.  He also assured me that it was "free", which is a load of crap. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 10:08:44 am »
Windows does what an OS should do. Manage the OS. IMHO Linux gives the user too much to worry about an too much power as opposed to Windows which is meant to be an OS a family can enjoy withought having to worry about the complexity of Linux.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 12:04:26 pm »
Windows does what an OS should do. Manage the OS.

You have that completely backwards.  Windows does WAY too much.  The OS shouldn't do things like web browsing.  It shouldn't come with a million integrated programs.  It should just be the OS. 

On Linux, the OS is what loads into memory in the first second or so, when it says "LOADING LINUX....".  After that, it's all scripts and programs defined by the distro running.  An external program loads the drivers, an external program displays the console or X, an external program does everything.  The programs can be audited, changed, debugged, etc., without ever mucking around in the kernel.  Linux does "what an OS should do": manage memory and devices, and allow communication between software and hardware.  That should be where the OS stops. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 12:13:45 pm »
That's basically how all kernels work, just like Linux distros come bundled with applications like Firefox or GAIM. Windows comes with it's own applications. Both of them are at a user level so the difference is? Also Linux links the drivers with itself at runtime which IMHO isn't such a great idea if you are trying to be a minimalist kernel.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 12:14:48 pm »
Linux doesn't always come with Firefox or GAIM.  But have you tried getting Windows without Internet Explorer or even, in fact, without Explorer? 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 12:17:51 pm »
Internet explorer can't be completely removed since Windows uses it's engine to render some things (Not as much in XP anymore but still) Windows Explorer can be replaced but I don't know why you'd want to.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 12:19:35 pm »
See, that's annoying.  You said that "Windows does what an OS should do".  Should an OS force you to have certain programs installed?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 12:24:11 pm »
If it's necesary to operate the system why not? ;). On another note I think if you remove the dependant files (I think Help is one of them) you can remove IE. Assuming you switch all internet things to FF

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 03:10:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can remove IE from the control panel using Add/Remove programs, and selecting 'Add/Remove Windows Components' but it's not wise to do since some applications have IE integrated into them for things like updating