Author Topic: Southern View!  (Read 10204 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Southern View!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 12:53:37 pm »
Salt water doesn't freeze at 0o.  And it's not cold enough for water to freeze all year round.  Therefore, whatever room you're in is going to sink come summer, so whoever came up with the idea of building a room there is stupid. 

But anyway, bears don't live on the ocean, they live on land.  There can't be a bear there, unless it was imported or dragged there!

<edit> maybe the answer is "blue, with icicles hanging off him"..  Because he'd be frozen solid :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 01:19:31 pm »
I see nothing wrong with my logic. 

Assuming that all southern means he's at the North Pole (because otherwise, we can't conclude anything), it would have to be a bear that lives at the North Pole.  However, I don't think there are bears at the North Pole, it's too far north even for them to survive.  So I'd say it's impossible. 

Or, the answer is Polar Bear, but I think that's wrong :)

Haha, that's a good point.  I think it should be rephrased, though.  :P

Sure, the North Pole is in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. But do you seriously think that its over 0[super]o[/super] celsius up there? Stuff can be placed on ice, and theres a whole ton of water to freeze.

Let me clarify this. You are at the North Pole.

Maybe it would be black then?  I'm guessing it might have something to do with the daylight setting...

Salt water doesn't freeze at 0o.  And it's not cold enough for water to freeze all year round.  Therefore, whatever room you're in is going to sink come summer, so whoever came up with the idea of building a room there is stupid. 

But anyway, bears don't live on the ocean, they live on land.  There can't be a bear there, unless it was imported or dragged there!

<edit> maybe the answer is "blue, with icicles hanging off him"..  Because he'd be frozen solid :)

I think the ice is thick enough (plus I think the temperature would drop below the point that salt water freezes) that it would stay solid year-round.

But yeah, haha. I don't think there'd be much of a bear alive there.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
You think most of the worlds oceans aren't below 0 c?  Just because they're below, doesn't mean they freeze; there is too much to freeze which means there are just random iceburgs.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 01:50:58 pm »
You think most of the worlds oceans aren't below 0 c?  Just because they're below, doesn't mean they freeze; there is too much to freeze which means there are just random iceburgs.

When it's low enough (especially when the sunlight is in much less quantity in other portions of the world), it'll form pretty massive formations of ice (Antarctica, for example).

Additionally, I don't think most of the worlds oceans are below 0° C.  It would be foolish to assume so seeing as massive bodies of waters retain their temperatures extremely well (they're very resistant to short but radical temperature spells); seeing how the average temperature on the surface of Earth is nowhere near 0° C, it would be a very illogical conclusion.

Pure H2O freezes at 0° C, period.  No exceptions.  Even if it is part of a huge body of water, it's going to freeze.  Oceans are resistant to freezing over for two reasons:  One, they're salt water.  Salt water's freezing point is lower than pure water (as iago already mentioned).  Secondly, they're huge bodies of water.  This has nothing to with the temperature that the water must delve to in order to freeze.  It's for the same reason that an ice cube melts when you put in a cup of water.  Heat (the diffusion of thermal energy from an object of higher thermal energy to an area of lower thermal energy).  The entropy of a frame of reference specified in an ocean (1 Km3) will reach a state of perfect entropy (randomness) given some amount of time (which depends on the temperature of the water to begin with) if you were to apply some force to a smaller portion of the water.  This means that the temperature of the entire frame of reference must change, not just a tiny place where you applied the force.

However, if your frame of reference is really large (say an entire ocean), there will be random blotches of ice (ice burgs, like you said).  There are obvious and alternative reasons that ice burgs exist, though.  For one, a lot of them are still around from when the global temperature in fact was below 0° C.  They're constantly melting small amounts into the water that surrounds them (following the law of entropy).

</Science Rant>
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 02:07:49 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 02:07:38 pm »
You guys are thinking way too hard.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 02:08:29 pm »

My last post was in retort to Blaze's post, not the riddle (I go off topic.  You know this).

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 02:46:09 pm »
The bear is red from eating the last person who was in that room :/
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 02:47:50 pm »
Well, I got what I wanted from Sidoh, thanks. :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 03:05:48 pm »
Wrong.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 03:06:44 pm »
Well, I got what I wanted from Sidoh, thanks. :)

:)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 04:15:35 pm »
I think we've explored all the logical avenues.  Perhaps we should move on to the assumption that the answer is something really dumb?

trust

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2005, 05:33:48 pm »

Except my answer is correct. I decided to check the riddle on google, and yes, I'm right.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 05:49:55 pm »
I think we've explored all the logical avenues.  Perhaps we should move on to the assumption that the answer is something really dumb?

Completely agreed.

Except my answer is correct. I decided to check the riddle on google, and yes, I'm right.

Your answer is something really dumb, sorry to say.  :P

He asked what color the bear is, not what color its skin is.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 06:35:44 pm »
the answer is obvious!

trust

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2005, 06:50:56 pm »

Completely agreed.

Your answer is something really dumb, sorry to say.  :P

He asked what color the bear is, not what color its skin is.

Except I didn't say what color its skin is. I said what color its fur is, which is, of course, what you see when looking at a bear.