Author Topic: Unpunishable Crimes  (Read 12644 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Unpunishable Crimes
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2005, 05:51:36 pm »
I think the dumbest thing about the Church is that priests can't have sex or get married or masturbate. 

Take a guy, make it illegal to have sex and masturbate, and what happens to him?  Of course he's going to have issues. 

That's just another form of control, by the church -- family => your inheritance goes to your family, not the Church. 

Again, I'm talking about Catholicism.  I don't know about anything else. 

Donating money to your church is fine with me, they have to get money from somewhere.  It's the power that worries me, churches shouldn't have a lot of power. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2005, 06:02:56 pm »
I think the dumbest thing about the Church is that priests can't have sex or get married or masturbate. 

Take a guy, make it illegal to have sex and masturbate, and what happens to him?  Of course he's going to have issues. 

Yeah, that is really dumb.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 07:55:09 am »
Our church is undominational, but Pastor Craig has two children, Pastor Michael has five, and Pastor Amos has one.

EDIT -
On Thanksgiving at my grandma's house, my mom brought up that I went to youth convention and I'm really involved with church and stuff, and it ended up to be a long conversation about why nobody (except me) in my family goes to church. From that, it went to a Catholic flamefest, and the eventual reason was they were tired of getting "You haven't given any money. You owe us $786.32. Please bring this next Sunday." bills in the mail. =p

EDIT -
Pastor Craig's children are two and three, and Pastor Amos's daughter is 2, I believe. Three (or four?) of Pastor Michael's children are high school graduates already, and the youngest (who happens to be my good friend Marianne!) is a junior at my high school.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 08:01:37 am by Joe[e2] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 07:34:42 pm »
Buddhist monks seem pretty chill and they are abstinant..

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2005, 07:55:16 pm »
Our church is undominational, but Pastor Craig has two children, Pastor Michael has five, and Pastor Amos has one.
I think it's funny how the Catholic Church doesn't really follow the Bible.
Quote from: 1 Tim 3:1-5
1 Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer,[a] he desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?)
It talks specifically about how someone who is to be a leader should know how to take care of his kids and family business, and that without such experience, how can someone know how to take care of the church?

Now I don't mean that it should be followed in the strictest of manners (many of our youth pastors in Arizona don't have kids of their own yet), but it doesn't say that you CAN'T have kids.  They're man-made rules, not God's.

But yeah, suicide garuntees a place in Hell. If I said "earthly punishment", it'd be all to obvious.
Also, I disagree with this assessment.  I don't think any of us can know what "guarantess" us a place in hell, but God said there's only one unforgiveable sin, and that's blaspheming the Holy Spirit.  Suicide is a sin, no doubt, but what did Jesus come to die for anyway?  :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 07:57:54 pm by MyndFyre[x86] »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2005, 08:07:24 pm »
I think it's funny how the Catholic Church doesn't really follow the Bible.
[....]
They're man-made rules, not God's.

I fully agree.  That's why I tend to be opposed to "The Church", or even "Religion" (by which I mean structured religion, not just general belief), because they tend to make rules like that. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 03:01:11 am »
One thing I forgot, not allowing the Preists to get married would make them go against God's idea of "ye shall be fruitful and multiply", unless of course they have premarital sex, which is just as bad (or worse?).

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 03:30:59 am »
I think that suicide should be unforgiveable, because..
1) If theres something in your life thats worth killing yourself over, just ask God to help you.
2) Comitting suicide, knowing you'll go to heaven, is trying to evade the punishment of the first sin, which is pretty much not doing what God wants, so blaspheming.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 03:34:41 am »
I think that suicide should be unforgiveable, because..
1) If theres something in your life thats worth killing yourself over, just ask God to help you.
2) Comitting suicide, knowing you'll go to heaven, is trying to evade the punishment of the first sin, which is pretty much not doing what God wants, so blaspheming.

It doesn't matter what you think or your logic tells you; it's the law layed out for you in the bible that tells you what is right and wrong.

There are passages in the bible about suicide already, anyway.  They say it's unforgiveable unless you're in a position of extreme agony/torture/etc.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2005, 11:27:15 am »
I've never heard of God coming down and helping somebody who is being tortured/suffering..  Maybe if God was more helpful..? :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 02:53:17 am »
I've never heard of God coming down and helping somebody who is being tortured/suffering

Hence, you are allowed to commit suicide when you're being tortured/suffering.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2005, 02:54:18 am »

You said that it was unforgivable. :P

Offline FrOzeN

• ?
    • View Profile
    • Clan AnThRaX
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2005, 09:32:47 am »
There is a crime that is, if attempted, punishable, but comitted, unpushable. What is this crime?

Suicide?

Bingo.
Let's make an extremely unlikely situation. You are kidnapped and left locked in a basement to starve to death after being badly bashed up. You find a gun with a bullet in it. Would suicide (head/heart shot with the gun) be a crime?
And even if for some reason you do believe it is a crime, would the 'death penalty' that comes along with suicide be a feasible punishment for it?

[EDIT] Nevermind the above, just read the posts on this page which I somehow missed before.

Also one other thing I though of ages ago and never fiqured out. Say you became a christian, then purposely commited some crime that put you up for the death penalty. During the time you waited to be killed, if you were to forgive all your sins. Would that like be a shortcut to heaven?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 09:34:47 am by FrOzeN »

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2005, 02:20:06 pm »
I've never heard of God coming down and helping somebody who is being tortured/suffering

As the Bible states, God is all-seeing and knowing. I'm quite sure he would make the proper judgement concerning your situation ;)

However, I have never read a passage saying anything along the lines of what Joe's just posted. Give some proof.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2005, 02:36:23 pm »
Ask MyndFyre.