Author Topic: H&R Block puts SIN numbers on envelopes....  (Read 1762 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
H&R Block puts SIN numbers on envelopes....
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:45:15 pm »
This was a great screw-up!

My wife received this snail mail letter yesterday:

"Recently we mailed you a free copy of our TaxCut software.  We believe that this complimentary software will meet your 2006 tax preparation needs, based on our prior experience with you as an H&R Block client. We hope that you will try TaxCut and find it to be a great solution for filing your next tax return.

However, since we sent you this CD, we have become aware of a mail production situation that has affected a small percentage of recipients, including you.  Due to human error in developing the mailing list, the digits of your social security number (SSN) were used as part of your mailing label's source code, a string of more than 40 numbers and characters.  Fortunately, these digits were embedded in the middle of the string, and they were not formatted in any manner that would identify them as an SSN.

Nevertheless, we sincerely apologize for this inadvertent error, which is completely inconsistent with out strict policies to protect out clients' privacy.  Our internal policies limit the use of client SSNs for purposes other than tax preparation.  Furthermore, our internal procedures require that mailing source codes are formulated in a manner that excludes use of any sensitive or confidential information.  Please know that we have conducted a thorough internal review of this matter, and are taking actions to ensure this does not re-occur.

Again, please understand that the digits of your SSN were embedded in the middle of a lengthy source code, and they were not formatted in a manner that identifies them as an SSN.  As a result, we believe that exposure of your SSN digits was limited to you alone, since you are the only person who would recognize their significance.  Nonetheless, we suggest that you destroy the wrapper and mailing label of the free TaxCut CD we sent you.  If you would like more information about this incident, please visit www.taxcut.com/answers, a special Website that contains additional details and an e-mail link for contacting us with your questions.

On behalf of more than 100,000 associates of H&R Block, allow me to apologize for this unfortunate situation.  Through 50 tax seasons, H&R Block has earned a reputation as a valued, trustworthy ally to our clients, and we sincerely hope that you will find the free TaxCut CD and our information packed taxcut.com Website to be helpful tools for the 2006 tax filing season.

Sincerely,

Tom Allanson
Senior Vice President & General Manager
H&R Block Digital Tax Solutions

4400 Main Street Kansas City, MO 64111
www.taxcut.com"

---------------------------------

The part about "the exposure of the SSN was limited to you alone because you are the only person who would recognize your number" kills me.

--
/*
/*  Troy Solo
/*  <solo@dok.org>
/*  Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
/*

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: H&R Block puts SIN numbers on envelopes....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:04:32 pm »
I just checked... It doesn't look like there is my dad's SSN on the case... I wanted to see it :(
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology