Author Topic: Why?  (Read 12170 times)

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 04:01:48 pm »

If you intend to become more of a Linux power-user, I recommend finding the book Beginning Linux Programming by Stone.  It gives you a quick overview over the main points, like Bash, Make, IPC (Inter-Process Communication), I/O, POSIX, TCL, GTK+, and many other things.  Tmp recommended it to me, and I'm very happy he did, it was one of my better investments. 

If you want to understand more about the culture of Linux, and the fundamental ideas behind open-source and Linux design decisions, find yourself The Art of UNIX Programming.

Refer to post:
http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,3013.msg30292.html#msg30292
;P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 07:23:03 pm »

If you intend to become more of a Linux power-user, I recommend finding the book Beginning Linux Programming by Stone.  It gives you a quick overview over the main points, like Bash, Make, IPC (Inter-Process Communication), I/O, POSIX, TCL, GTK+, and many other things.  Tmp recommended it to me, and I'm very happy he did, it was one of my better investments. 

If you want to understand more about the culture of Linux, and the fundamental ideas behind open-source and Linux design decisions, find yourself The Art of UNIX Programming.

Refer to post:
http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,3013.msg30292.html#msg30292
;P

Haha, well, there's nothing wrong with recommending them multiple times, since they ARE the best books ever for Linux :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 10:49:23 pm »
I guess most of you download it, or burn it or something. Although, I don't see how so many people can claim to be adament supporters of a software foundation they perpetually commit federal crimes against.
I'm not an adament supporter of Microsoft. I use it, and that's about it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Krazed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 08:41:33 am »
I like windows, I donno why. I guess after you use something for about 7-8 years, it's as easy as walking.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 01:44:28 pm »
I like windows, I donno why. I guess after you use something for about 7-8 years, it's as easy as walking.
Yea, but Linux is like driving. I get things done a lot done, faster.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 01:47:03 pm »

Oh shit, that was good.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 01:55:31 pm »

Oh shit, that was good.
It extends further because one must first learn how to drive, and after than it just become second nature.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 02:02:58 pm »
It extends further because one must first learn how to drive, and after than it just become second nature.

The same applies to walking, though. :)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 02:08:36 pm »

The same applies to walking, though. :)
Yea, but you learn to walk first and you're just so use to it already that you think driving isn't important.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 02:11:04 pm »
Yea, but you learn to walk first and you're just so use to it already that you think driving isn't important.

Haha, I'm being picky.  This is a good comparison, but there are too many ways to poke fun at it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 02:30:45 pm »
It takes awhile to learn to walk, but eventually, you learn that walking isn't the end.  Of course, there are plenty of people to drive you around before you learn to drive yourself (visiting websites, anyone?).

When you first start driving, it's hard.  You constantly need help, and you have to ask people how to do everything, from gear-shifting to signalling.  Of course, while walking, you pick up on certain things like street signs and traffic lights, so that when you're driving you DO see familiar things, they're just more meaningful now. 

Once you learn how to drive well, you realize that it is SO much better than walking!  Even though it's more difficult at first, and even frustrating, it is so much more useful!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 02:33:04 pm »
It takes awhile to learn to walk, but eventually, you learn that walking isn't the end.  Of course, there are plenty of people to drive you around before you learn to drive yourself (visiting websites, anyone?).

When you first start driving, it's hard.  You constantly need help, and you have to ask people how to do everything, from gear-shifting to signalling.  Of course, while walking, you pick up on certain things like street signs and traffic lights, so that when you're driving you DO see familiar things, they're just more meaningful now. 

Once you learn how to drive well, you realize that it is SO much better than walking!  Even though it's more difficult at first, and even frustrating, it is so much more useful!

But dangerous!  Car accidents!

Haha, just kidding.  Like I said, I'm being picky! :)

This is a good comparison, I must say.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 02:35:21 pm »
But dangerous!  Car accidents!

Yes, that's true, it's much easier to injure yourself while driving.  Of course, it's even easier to injure somebody who's walking when you're driving.

Also, you can only walk for a couple hours a day, then it just becomes slow and difficult until you rest (restart?). 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 02:41:13 pm »
Also, you can only walk for a couple hours a day, then it just becomes slow and difficult until you rest (restart?). 

Holy shit, this is uncanny.

A compilation:  http://www.sidoh.org/~sidoh/linux.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 02:47:41 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 03:07:51 pm »
Sure you can use WINE to play games, but I'm Linux-retarded and I asked someone (I think it was iago Shocked) if it was hard to set up and he said yeah.

I posted a shellscript a few pages back to install cedega from CVS. Feel free to bump it if you feel the need. Cedega > wine for gaming.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.