Author Topic: Multitasking is bad for you....  (Read 9492 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Multitasking is bad for you....
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:41:46 pm »
It's always been January 2007..versions availible to buisnesses (and pirates) go out this fall/winter but the rest has been known to be 07. I had a feeling when Steve Jobs put the date of Longhorn release showing some of the gadgets off, it read 12/31/06
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 04:15:28 pm »
Hmm, from this article:

Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system has been beset with another delay. After clearly pinpointing the holiday season of 2006 for launch, the company has now revised their primary launch period to 2007.

Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Platforms & Services Division, told analysts that the target time has been bumped to January 2007 for all consumer versions of Windows. He also said that editions aimed at business users would be available as early as November through volume licensing programs.

"We needed just a few more weeks," Allchin said in a conference call. In a press release, he said "the industry requires greater lead time to deliver Windows Vista on new PCs during holiday. We must optimize for the industry, so we've decided to separate business and consumer availability."

Are they just wrong?  I don't know. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 05:53:35 pm »
What I think (and what my evidence suggests) is that it's been secretly Jan 07 for a while but they were hoping if they went a little faster they could release it earlier than expected. Of course that's what I think.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 07:16:29 pm »
It may affect early market share numbers for Vista, however, as some 33 percent of computers are supposedly sold during this time of year. A holiday launch would have likely resulted in the majority of those computers being installed with Windows Vista.
$10 says that computers sold during the holiday season will have some kind of voucher for free or heavily-discounted version of Windows Vista after release.  They've done it before -- I want to say with 98->Me.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 08:31:04 pm »
It may affect early market share numbers for Vista, however, as some 33 percent of computers are supposedly sold during this time of year. A holiday launch would have likely resulted in the majority of those computers being installed with Windows Vista.
$10 says that computers sold during the holiday season will have some kind of voucher for free or heavily-discounted version of Windows Vista after release.  They've done it before -- I want to say with 98->Me.
98 -> me, aka, "a bad move" :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 09:30:33 pm »
Alright, good job people, we are almost on topic!  Yay!

Anyways.. I don't see that much wrong with multitasking.  I have done it for years and nothing has happened to me because of it.  I haven't lost anything that is important because of it.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:31:36 pm »

Anyways.. I don't see that much wrong with multitasking.  I have done it for years and nothing has happened to me because of it.  I haven't lost anything that is important because of it.

That's what you think...

Have you seen your penis lately?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 09:40:45 pm »

That's what you think...

Have you seen your penis lately?
Haha - Actualy like a minute ago while I was pissing on your mom!!

J/k
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 09:45:31 pm »

This is my preference for Windows OSes in order from most despised to most liked:

98   NT 4.0   3.1   Me   95   2000    XP

As you can see, I think Me is vastly superior to Windows 98, although I think 95 was superior to both.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 10:33:19 pm »

This is my preference for Windows OSes in order from most despised to most liked:

As you can see, I think Me is vastly superior to Windows 98, although I think 95 was superior to both.

Any reason for 98 being at the back?  It seems more common to put ME at the back, but I've never used it so I couldn't say. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 10:44:22 pm »
All code running in PL0

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 10:50:48 pm »

Any reason for 98 being at the back?  It seems more common to put ME at the back, but I've never used it so I couldn't say. 

Me was marginally more stable than 98 and much more functional than the other three OSes.  98 took all the great things 95 had done and broke them, plain and simple.  It grew bugs like athlete's foot; over the course of only a few months a system would become virtually unusable.

I think in general, 3.1 was more usable than NT 4.0, plus you had easy access to real DOS for legacy applications.

2000 brought great strides in both legacy compatibility and moving forward technologically, and IMO XP improved in it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 11:03:05 pm »
MyndFyre -- cool.  I didn't have the same experience, I found that 98 ran smoother than 95, but they both sucked. 

All code running in PL0
Isn't that true for all the 9x-based Windowses?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 11:16:11 pm »
MyndFyre -- cool.  I didn't have the same experience, I found that 98 ran smoother than 95, but they both sucked. 

All code running in PL0
Isn't that true for all the 9x-based Windowses?

Yes it is, I just hate all 9x releases in general. ME was alright but it was unstable as they were just pioneering new technologies.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 11:30:51 pm »
Back on topic-
I find that when I try to multi-task, I accomplish less than I would if I did them consecutively, but indivitually.