Author Topic: Troops to remain in Iraq until 2009?  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Troops to remain in Iraq until 2009?
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:50 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/21/bush.newsconference/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

Even I think that's a bit too long... it's gonna turn into a war that we win just like we did in Vietnam... :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Troops to remain in Iraq until 2009?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:39:35 pm »
Know what a *big* difference is between Iraq and Vietnam?

In the Vietnam war, we were fighting a political entity.  They had infrastructure, prisons, etc.  They could take POWs.

In Iraq, it's much harder for them to do that.  We control the majority of the infrastructure throughout the country.  It's much harder for them to take POWs because they don't have anywhere to bring them.

Just a thought.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »
 Bush did say, on the subject of withdrawl, "it will be up to future presidents". I think Bush is going to stick to his guns on this issue, it's very rare for a political figure to admit thier wrong all the way up untill thier faced with something they can't refuse. Is this going to turn into another Vietnam? I don't know, are we going to have another cultural revolution? I don't know.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:20:10 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/21/bush.newsconference/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

Even I think that's a bit too long... it's gonna turn into a war that we win just like we did in Vietnam... :P

That's only a year more than the earlier estimates from 2004. Not only that, but we're fighting terrorists who are willing to die for their case.

Myndfyre: They don't want to take Americans prisoner (mostly), they just want to kill us.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:55 pm »
Although I definitely did not support the original war, America should look after it as long as they possibly can.  As soon as America withdraws, there's going to be serious problems there.  Part of invading a country involves taking control of it, but in this case America is doing it the lazy way.  They should stay there as long as it takes. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:43:12 pm »
I agree, we've given these people liberty. It's up to them however (with our support after the eventual pullout) to stabalize themselves. They need to build up their nation and I think once they have a good military/police/government they should do fine.
Sure there will still be insurgency and I don't know quite what will happen but this can't be avoided. I  think it's all for the better however.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 11:14:58 pm »
Although I definitely did not support the original war, America should look after it as long as they possibly can.  As soon as America withdraws, there's going to be serious problems there.  Part of invading a country involves taking control of it, but in this case America is doing it the lazy way.  They should stay there as long as it takes. 
If you agreed with the war that was on the premise of WMD's, you were wrong, and why would you agree to the war now as opposed to back then anyway? I believe Bush just kept pushing Iraq untill there was actually a noble cause in it -- and now there is -- but going to war on false premises is never right.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 11:25:18 pm »

Note that reconstruction and rebuilding nations takes a long time. Also note that having troops in a country doesn't mean war/occupation/fighting or any of that. Look at Germany and all of Europe for that matter. We still have troops over there from 50 years after World War II. I think its a fair assumption that we will have troops in Iraq for just as long, however this doesn't mean that they will be involved in day-to-day combat just that they will be there. And thus this whole idea of pulling the troops out is a bit absurd and crazy.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 12:16:37 am »
We're only staying because Bush created this mess.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 12:21:50 am »
I agree, bush shouldntve ever gone into iraq. But, because we cant go back in time and stop taht from happening, we shouldnt take our troops out asap.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:59:52 am »

Bush didn't create it. Saddam created it in 1990 when he invaded Kuwait and the international community decided it was unacceptable. Bush was simply finishing the job that started before. Also keep in mind combat operations never stopped after the first Gulf War. We had warplanes overflying Iraq with the Iraqis shooting at them everyday since the start in 1991.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 01:47:02 am »

Bush didn't create it. Saddam created it in 1990 when he invaded Kuwait and the international community decided it was unacceptable. Bush was simply finishing the job that started before. Also keep in mind combat operations never stopped after the first Gulf War. We had warplanes overflying Iraq with the Iraqis shooting at them everyday since the start in 1991.
Yes he did create the war it is a fact.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 02:06:40 am »
Yes he did create the war it is a fact.

Are you saying what Saddam Husein has done is acceptable?

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 03:29:03 am »
No -- but Zorm tried to say Bush did not create the present Iraq war -- when infact he did.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 03:49:47 am »
No -- but Zorm tried to say Bush did not create the present Iraq war -- when infact he did.

Bush didn't start the cause for the war, though...

War is designed to resolve problems.  Saddam Hussein was definitely a serious problem.