Author Topic: OpenBSD :(  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: OpenBSD :(
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 11:21:43 pm »
Out of curiousity, iago, how many routers/switches/etc does your workplace/school use that aren't Cisco?  I know they're widely used, but my school uses almost entirely Cisco.  We have a few Linksys switches (a gig switch runs the pipe between our file servers and another one somewhere else in our MDF), but there aren't many other things that aren't Cisco.

From my understanding, Cisco networking gear is the best in the industry, but you really pay for it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 11:52:24 pm »
Well, I was thinking not so much of switches/routers/etc. (we actually had a lot of Netgear and some Juniper, and other stuff, not a whole lot of Cisco).  The backbone stuff was Cisco, but not the stuff we managed. 

Anyway, I was thinking of appliances.  Firewalls (fortinet, etc), IPSes (TopLayer, Proventia, etc), even a distributed storage network (SAN) that I forget who made it all used OpenSSH (or a variation of it). 

I try to avoid Cisco.  I don't like their level of honesty.  But that's a whole different story. 

Juniper bought me lunch once, and it was a friggin' awesome lunch, so I like them.  I'd promote them for sure, Cisco would never buy me lunch. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 12:04:38 am »
Well, I was thinking not so much of switches/routers/etc. (we actually had a lot of Netgear and some Juniper, and other stuff, not a whole lot of Cisco).  The backbone stuff was Cisco, but not the stuff we managed. 

Anyway, I was thinking of appliances.  Firewalls (fortinet, etc), IPSes (TopLayer, Proventia, etc), even a distributed storage network (SAN) that I forget who made it all used OpenSSH (or a variation of it). 

I try to avoid Cisco.  I don't like their level of honesty.  But that's a whole different story. 

Juniper bought me lunch once, and it was a friggin' awesome lunch, so I like them.  I'd promote them for sure, Cisco would never buy me lunch. 

Hehe, we do have a bunch of 5-port switches (and a few in more "backboneish" IDF's), but our main infrastructure is almost entirely Cisco.  I'm not entirely sure who makes our firewall, but I know CPWall (or whoever manufactures that) makes our web filter.  We actually do have a NAS (we call it that for "Network Area Storage," I'm not entirely sure if that's the same thing, since I've heard the term "SAN" before too).

I think Cisco is similar to Microsoft in the respects of prices/strives to succeed in the business realm.

I want a free lunch! :(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 12:09:32 am »
Hehe, we do have a bunch of 5-port switches (and a few in more "backboneish" IDF's), but our main infrastructure is almost entirely Cisco.  I'm not entirely sure who makes our firewall, but I know CPWall (or whoever manufactures that) makes our web filter.  We actually do have a NAS (we call it that for "Network Area Storage," I'm not entirely sure if that's the same thing, since I've heard the term "SAN" before too).

I think Cisco is similar to Microsoft in the respects of prices/strives to succeed in the business realm.

I want a free lunch! :(

Well, the reason I don't like Cisco is because of the whole Michael Lynn fiasco (see Google).  Cisco was trying to hide a vulnerability, and went to great lengths to destroy the life of/discredit the person who announced it, Lynn.  If you can't trust your network hardware, what's left to trust?  I'd rather them be open and honest about it. 

In any case, I think SAN = Storage Area Network.  Probably the same thing, or same principle. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 12:22:36 am »
Well, the reason I don't like Cisco is because of the whole Michael Lynn fiasco (see Google).  Cisco was trying to hide a vulnerability, and went to great lengths to destroy the life of/discredit the person who announced it, Lynn.  If you can't trust your network hardware, what's left to trust?  I'd rather them be open and honest about it. 

In any case, I think SAN = Storage Area Network.  Probably the same thing, or same principle. 

I definitely agree; that's really lame.  I didn't know they'd done that.  Regardless, I still repsect the quality of their devices.

Hehe.  We just put two NAS's in this year.  They're our only Linux boxes... :(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 12:55:09 am »
Ah, the SAN is a custom OS.  I don't know much about it. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 12:57:41 am »
Ah, the SAN is a custom OS.  I don't know much about it. 

Hehe, yeah.  They use the Linux kernel, but they don't use any sort of specific distribution.

Offline mynameistmp

• Hi! I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 04:13:57 pm »
Out of curiousity, iago, how many routers/switches/etc does your workplace/school use that aren't Cisco?  I know they're widely used, but my school uses almost entirely Cisco.  We have a few Linksys switches (a gig switch runs the pipe between our file servers and another one somewhere else in our MDF), but there aren't many other things that aren't Cisco.

From my understanding, Cisco networking gear is the best in the industry, but you really pay for it.

I believe Linksys is owned by Cisco. If not, there is some affiliation there.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 04:24:20 pm »
I believe Linksys is owned by Cisco. If not, there is some affiliation there.

Yes, Cisco recently bought Linksys (~1.5 years ago), but Linksys still manufactures their own equipment, though.  It's just Cisco-funded now. :)