Author Topic: Newb to Unix-type operating system.  (Read 2068 times)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
Newb to Unix-type operating system.
« on: May 14, 2006, 01:49:06 am »
Well since you all love and seem to be doing most of your projects and other work on the  Linux OS, I have been thinking for quite some time to try switching over to Linux to see what the other side is like. Well I have been doing reasearch on Linux and the GNU and I must say that Linus Torvalds is a genuis. Anyways what I wanted to ask was if anybody has the Linux Source Code that they might possibly post? I probally have a good idea how big it is and how many lines of code it might be so if its too big maybe somebody can send the file to me over aim or something? Thank you guys.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 02:01:45 am by ZeroX »
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Newb to Unix-type operating system.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 01:50:47 am »
It's huge. www.kernel.org
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:24:29 pm »
Well since you all love and seem to be doing most of your projects and other work on the  Linux OS, I have been thinking for quite some time to try switching over to Linux to see what the other side is like. Well I have been doing reasearch on Linux and the GNU and I must say that Linus Torvalds is a genuis. Anyways what I wanted to ask was if anybody has the Linux Source Code that they might possibly post? I probally have a good idea how big it is and how many lines of code it might be so if its too big maybe somebody can send the file to me over aim or something? Thank you guys.

Besides the fact that the majority of the work here is either on windows or cross platform you're right. Try Linux out, maybe you'll like it.
The Linux source code is huge (You better not have dialup) and I'm sorry (and mean no offense) but I don't think you'd be able to make much of any useful code in the Linux kernel. Really it's so intertwined with the rest of it'self that to understand one part you'd need to look up a dozen others. Also note that Linux is archetecture independant (for the most part, within reason)so a lot of any good implementation (on a hardware level) is split into archetectual branches.

With that said, good luck.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:40 pm »
About overintwined software being useless for reading, I'd have to sign on that. I don't know how complex the kernel is but I bet it beats JavaOp1, and I had a hard time even reading that code.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.