Author Topic: Requesting to Join  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting to Join
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 04:13:24 am »
Give me a bit of time to decide.  Post a lot in the next few days... ;D
I'm sorry, but I thought this community was more on the "casual" end, more-so just being able to contribute to discussions. I don't have feelings about every topic in here, which is why I don't post in every topic in here. If this is a "hardcore" forum posting community (much like say a hardcore gaming guild on WoW), and you will require that I post random nonsense in threads I have nothing to say about, then I would like to retract my application to join.

A forum community shouldn't be able who can spam the most, yet who can contribute the most.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 04:21:14 am »
Don't jump to arbitrary conclusions.

I honestly don't care how much you post.  To be honest, I don't read a lot of the topics you post in because they deal with politics.  I hate politics, so I tend to skip them.  I'll make an effort to read them.

Quality is much more valued than quantity in my mind, but I don't think posts should matter at all.  It's how they represent the person thats applying that matters.

This is a casual community.  We have members that post maybe once a month.  We have members like myself and several others who contribute, at times, a hundered or more posts in a single day.  It all depends on your personality, interest level and attention span, I suppose.

Don't take it personally that I don't just hand over my approval.  I'd hope you understand that it's because I don't feel I know you very well.  If this same sort of vindictive behavior shows up again, maybe I should reconsider my evaluation? ;)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 04:34:02 am »

I honestly don't care how much you post.  To be honest, I don't read a lot of the topics you post in because they deal with politics.  I hate politics, so I tend to skip them.  I'll make an effort to read them.

Quality is much more valued than quantity in my mind, but I don't think posts should matter at all.  It's how they represent the person thats applying that matters.

This is a casual community.  We have members that post maybe once a month.  We have members like myself and several others who contribute, at times, a hundered or more posts in a single day.  It all depends on your personality, interest level and attention span, I suppose.
Then you made a mistake when you said "Post a lot in the next few days..."?

Don't take it personally that I don't just hand over my approval.  I'd hope you understand that it's because I don't feel I know you very well.  If this same sort of vindictive behavior shows up again, maybe I should reconsider my evaluation? ;)
The only thing I'm taking personal is the threat in your final line. Don't threaten me by hanging your power over me. I honestly don't want you to even judge me anymore, and if you do end up approving me, I won't accept it.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 04:36:23 am »

Then you made a mistake when you said "Post a lot in the next few days..."?

The only thing I'm taking personal is the threat in your final line. Don't threaten me by hanging your power over me. I honestly don't want you to even judge me anymore, and if you do end up approving me, I won't accept it.
Dude, you're taking this wayyyy too seriously.  Maybe it's cuz it's late or something.  Chill a bit, then come back in the morning.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 05:16:49 am »
You're seriously making me laugh.

1.) Notice the ";D," which, to me, indicates the high possibility of the aforementioned statement being a joke.

2.) I don't see how that was much of a "personal threat."  Joining a clan is a very personal process.  If you don't want yourself "personally evaluated," then why the hell are you even considering joining?

3.) I am a leader.  I'm not holding my power over you; I'm being a responsible leader.  I don't feel like I know you very well.  I'm not going to just hand you my approval because I think "Ah, what the hell.  He seems good enough... SUUURE!"  It doesn't work that way.  I'll give you approval when I think you deserve it.  Now that you've displayed that I don't think you're at all suitable for joining, I guess I'm glad I responded in the way I did.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:19:28 am by Sidoh »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 06:18:37 am »
1.) Notice the ";D," which, to me, indicates the high possibility of the aforementioned statement being a joke.
Learn to be more obvious with your jokes than just a grin. I should've been less harsh with my post after you said that, yet you yourself need to make sure there's no way anyone can even get something like that out of your posts, as Newby even thought you've made a mistake when you said that, and also, especially because you're a leader.

2.) I don't see how that was much of a "personal threat."  Joining a clan is a very personal process.  If you don't want yourself "personally evaluated," then why the hell are you even considering joining?

3.) I am a leader.  I'm not holding my power over you; I'm being a responsible leader.  I don't feel like I know you very well.  I'm not going to just hand you my approval because I think "Ah, what the hell.  He seems good enough... SUUURE!"  It doesn't work that way.  I'll give you approval when I think you deserve it.
You need to work on your reading comprehension.
If this same sort of vindictive behavior shows up again, maybe I should reconsider my evaluation?
threat - An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment.
You are expressing an intention to punish me by reconsidering your evaluation, unless it's another joke that's so obvious because it has an emoticon winking next to it! I also understand and agree with the whole process of judgeing a person before they join the clan, so stop repeating it.
Now that you've displayed that I don't think you're at all suitable for joining, I guess I'm glad I responded in the way I did.
So basically, I'm not at all suitable for joining due to these following reasons:
     1. You didn't clearly state what you were saying in one of your posts, making it easy to misread.
     2. Having misread what you said, I stated that I disagree with the way the forums would be run.
     3. You still not clearing up that your original post was a joke, you threaten me.
     4. I tell you I not to threaten me, and that I no longer want your approval.
Tell me, where in there, or better yet anywhere, have I shown myself not at all suitable to join this clan? Is it because I won't tolerate being threatened, which is what you did to me by definition? Quote the exact line explaining what is wrong with it, and if I find it reasonable, I will leave these forums and never come back.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 06:23:32 am by MetaL MilitiA »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 08:33:42 am »
Sooooo much text.  We're not even a really clan anymore.  Battle.net isn't a major part og us anymore, adn we don't revolve around 1 particular game.  We are an online community, which just so happens to have the highest concentratoin of leetsauce ever.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 09:13:20 am »
This is my proof of vote (tm):

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 12:41:21 pm »
Well, it seems that this is going nowhere.  Locked.

Metal, you're welcome to try again in the future, and I would encourage you to do so... in a less... confrontational way.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 02:53:23 pm »
After reading your post, I feel the need to publicly defend myself.

Learn to be more obvious with your jokes than just a grin. I should've been less harsh with my post after you said that, yet you yourself need to make sure there's no way anyone can even get something like that out of your posts, as Newby even thought you've made a mistake when you said that, and also, especially because you're a leader.

As I explicitly indicated, it was a subjective observation.  Notice the appositive ", to me."  I don't really care if you or Newby thinks it was a mistake.  I don't care at all if you think it was a mistake.  Even if I did, it's still your problem for not replying in a more constructive way.  You could have simply asked "are you implying that I need to spend more time than I'm comfortable with on these forums in order to be a member?"

3.) I am a leader.  I'm not holding my power over you; I'm being a responsible leader.  I don't feel like I know you very well.  I'm not going to just hand you my approval because I think "Ah, what the hell.  He seems good enough... SUUURE!"  It doesn't work that way.  I'll give you approval when I think you deserve it.

threat - An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment.

You are expressing an intention to punish me by reconsidering your evaluation, unless it's another joke that's so obvious because it has an emoticon winking next to it! I also understand and agree with the whole process of judging a person before they join the clan, so stop repeating it.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

You're correct.  I am "punishing" you for acting out of what I perceived to be spite.  I don't really care what you think about that.  Don't expect your actions to go unnoticed or dealt with in a way that involves no consequence.

So, in conclusion, I do believe my reading comprehension is displayed to be nearly perfect in this thread.

( http://m-w.com/dictionary/punish ):
1 a : to impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation b : to inflict a penalty for the commission of (an offense) in retribution or retaliation

In my eyes, what you did was definitely a fault.  You replied in such a way that I felt insulted when it was totally unnecessary.

1. You didn't clearly state what you were saying in one of your posts, making it easy to misread.

You could just as easily replied in a constructive manner or contacted me privately about the ambiguity you encountered.

2. Having misread what you said, I stated that I disagree with the way the forums would be run.

Instead of just saying "okay," which is what I think you should have done, you get defensive about your position and tell us how you think the community and the forums should be run.

3. You still not clearing up that your original post was a joke, you threaten me.

You did act in a vindictive way, as I already mentioned.  I tell you that I'm not ready to give you approval.  I let you know that I'd like to read more of your posts as you visit the forums throughout the next few days and you blame that on how you think I'm saying the forums should be run?  I completely agree that there was unclarity in my post, but as I've already mentioned, you could have easily replied in a more constructive manner.  It could have had something to do with something I misread or took the wrong way as well, but after rereading all of the posts, I kind of doubt it.

4. I tell you I not to threaten me, and that I no longer want your approval.

A threat is something that is earned.  It is also a statement of intentions.  What I said were actions: retraction of possibility for approval for the time being.  They weren't threats; they were decisions.

Tell me, where in there, or better yet anywhere, have I shown myself not at all suitable to join this clan? Is it because I won't tolerate being threatened, which is what you did to me by definition? Quote the exact line explaining what is wrong with it, and if I find it reasonable, I will leave these forums and never come back.

Of course you present some positive qualities that I've seen, but after this little encounter, I the bad outweighs what I've seen of the good.  As I've already mentioned, I haven't seen much good.  I don't know you.  I'd like to see more of you around before I make any sort of decision.  I had not said "Yes," I had not said "No."  I said "Wait for a few days and I'll let you know."

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 07:10:41 pm »
Sidoh and I have since resolved this issue over AIM.

I have also decided that there are a few members that I probably wouldn't get along with in here, so I'm requesting that my application be removed.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 07:13:43 pm »
PoV revoked.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling