Author Topic: Ambrose Bierce  (Read 1784 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Ambrose Bierce
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:24:45 pm »
H. P. Lovecraft was heavily influenced by many late-19th and early-20th century authors of weird/horror stories. 

One of those influences was Ambrose Bierce. 

Ambrose Bierce lived from 1842 until approximately 1914.  In 1914 he disappeared, and was never seen again.  His last communication to the outside world said,
Good-by — if you hear of my being stood up against a Mexican stone wall and shot to rags please know that I think that a pretty good way to depart this life. It beats old age, disease, or falling down the cellar stairs. To be a Gringo in Mexico — ah, that is euthanasia

I've read the two stories by him that influenced Lovecraft the most:

The Suitable Surroundings
Death of Halpin Frayser

Both of them are very short, but also fairly intricate stories.  I had to re-read the ending of both to fully understand what was happening. 

I've also read a story by Edgar Allen Poe and several by Arthur Machen recently, and they are also fantastic.  I also bought a book of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's horror stories (the creator of Sherlock Holmes, if you don't know). 

I've really fallen in love with the late 19th/early 20th century horror stories lately.  Besides Pratchett, it's my favorite genre of books.