Author Topic: [C++] Sample Application/Framework deal  (Read 3572 times)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
[C++] Sample Application/Framework deal
« on: July 10, 2006, 02:15:15 pm »
I decided to post this here because it could be useful as an example of whatever.
http://www.advancedcontent.net/zorm/ATHSrc.zip

Basically I started putting this together for a new program I was working on. It combines elements from other programs I've made and as such you can see the result with slightly messy source code in some areas.

I'm posting this here hoping to inspire someone else as well as get feedback on what I'm doing wrong or could be doing better. Keep in mind this is very much a work in progress.

On a technical note, this will compile in both multi-byte and unicode mode but reading the configuration file in unicode mode probably will not work.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
Re: [C++] Sample Application/Framework deal
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:30:35 am »
Sorry to bump this is really old post, but im actually interested in seeing this example if anyone could upload the zip, or possibly post some small examples of this.
The only other reference i've found for anything even close that's descent descent is: http://www.nuclex.org/articles/building-a-better-plugin-architecture

There is some sample source code at the very bottom that is basically a game designers approach to building up a program with API's, the source basically is ment as a raw example of using zip files that have dll's in them, the dll's are ment to be OpenGL Drivers and such related to rendering video/images etc.. 
The example doesn't actually do that, it is just a ruff example of how you might go about it.

I'd be interested if anyone has some spare time to see any other methods and possibly get help working on methods of approaching a project in c++ from building up API's and handling plugins so the core exe hardly ever needs to be updated only modules/plugins get updated or added as needed..

Offline Cygon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:32:09 am »
Sorry to bump this is really old post, but im actually interested in seeing this example if anyone could upload the zip, or possibly post some small examples of this.
The only other reference i've found for anything even close that's descent descent is: http://www.nuclex.org/articles/building-a-better-plugin-architecture

If you go to the same site and browse to this post: http://www.nuclex.org/news/2007/07/30/the-original-nuclex-engine-cxx

...you'll find an actual real-world implementation of the architecture described in that article. The plugin system is used to dynamically pull in drivers for image file formats, graphics apis and more. Full source code is available as well, though with 11 MB it's a bit large. You can try deleting individual plugins from the demo application and watch as the demo still starts up, but looses the ability to load PNGs, render 3D graphics or read data out of zip files :)

-Markus-

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 10:55:16 am »
Yah, if you re-read I was actually refering to that source code more so than the article itself, i've played around with it a bit. And that example is real world example if you are a game designer, to me that was confusing for a long time trying to dive in and figure it out.

Still interested in other examples of doing similar things, like skywings binary chat plugins the SDK/bcp.h header file, i know alot of people have made plugin systems to work with that was hoping other's would share methods they've found that work well in c/c++..

Note: Not looking for full source codes more idea's and small examples here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:58:19 am by LordVader »

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:18:51 pm »
This didn't actually do plugins and the like. You could probably look at BCPs are a pretty decent way of doing that though.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham