Author Topic: Time  (Read 13428 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Time
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 10:39:29 pm »
If you were able to go faster than the speed of light, would you back in time? :-\

I'm pretty sure the equations for special relativity explode when you try to calculate for anything >1c (ie, devide by zero).

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 10:44:20 pm »
If you were able to go faster than the speed of light, would you back in time? :-\
According to Orson Scott Card you'd just not age.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 10:45:12 pm »
According to Orson Scott Card you'd just not age.

In the sense that the world would end before you died in your frame of reference from aging, yeah...

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 11:41:30 pm »

If you were to leave frame of reference A traveling faster than the speed of light, you could reach frame of reference B before the light from reference A arrived and thus, travel "back" in time.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:45 pm »
If you were to leave frame of reference A traveling faster than the speed of light, you could reach frame of reference B before the light from reference A arrived and thus, travel "back" in time.

To anything traveling at the speed of light, the span of the Universe is infinitely short.  So, as a Photon sees it, the Universe is created and destroyed in literally no time at all.

(( I said the span was infinite... I meant infinitely short >_> ))
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:50:01 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 02:36:31 pm »
You guys just throw out random statements.  Going faster than the Speed of Light is not time travel, its going faster than the speed of light.  All that would happen is you would be  darkness in reference to any light source. 

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 04:17:46 pm »
You guys just throw out random statements.  Going faster than the Speed of Light is not time travel, its going faster than the speed of light.  All that would happen is you would be  darkness in reference to any light source. 
Would you mind proving it?  :P
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 05:32:23 pm »

I'm certain that there would be other consequences, considering the properties of time in the reference frame of anything traveling at the speed of light...

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 07:04:51 pm »
Time as you understand it is the measure of the rate at which the earth turns, and its not even a very good measurement, if you can give me a better definition then by all means show me your genious.  Your all smart but no one here has a degree in theoretical physics or the like.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 07:19:02 pm »
Time as you understand it is the measure of the rate at which the earth turns, and its not even a very good measurement, if you can give me a better definition then by all means show me your genious.  Your all smart but no one here has a degree in theoretical physics or the like.

An atomic clock would be a much better measurement of "ticking."  You're all wrong in some ways, but some interesting spin-off ideas have been brought up :P.  More later.

Offline Sty

• x86
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 07:24:47 pm »
The laws of science do not distinguish between the forward and backward directions of time -- yet they do distinguish the past from the future (time increases as disorder increases). There are some solutions to the equations of General Relativity which would allow for travel back and forth in time....(1) would require that you move faster than the speed of light, but we know that this cannot be done; (2) would require space-time to be very warped and a sort of "tunnel" between two space-time points to be present (called a "wormhole").

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 07:26:35 pm »
That's how we measure time. I believe time is the progression of existence and events in the past, present, and future taken as a whole.
errr... something like that...

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 07:32:27 pm »
(2) would require space-time to be very warped and a sort of "tunnel" between two space-time points to be present (called a "wormhole").

Space time is already warped.  That's a fundamental concept in general relativity - space and time are part of a unified non-euclidean spacetime geometry.   Warping space will help you get from point a to point b faster than light would go between those two points had the space not been warped, but you never surpass the velocity of light.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 08:35:45 pm »

That's how time is applied, but it is not how long it is measured.  The most accurate way (is obviously) atomic clocks, which measure the distance light travels.  When it reaches some point (or some itteration if it's repeating its path), it can be used as a fundemental time interval (such as a second).

Also, I think you should learn a little more about Rule.  I'm pretty sure he does have a degree in theoretical physics... if he doesn't, I really doubt he needs one. :P

The laws of science do not distinguish between the forward and backward directions of time -- yet they do distinguish the past from the future (time increases as disorder increases). There are some solutions to the equations of General Relativity which would allow for travel back and forth in time....(1) would require that you move faster than the speed of light, but we know that this cannot be done; (2) would require space-time to be very warped and a sort of "tunnel" between two space-time points to be present (called a "wormhole").

1) Doesn't require you to move faster than the speed of light.  It requires you to travel near the speed of light for a specified amount of time, relative to the space craft.

2) If I'm not mistaken, this [simply] allows you to see into the past because you're able to intercept light from a referenced source.  It doesn't allow you to "travel back in time."

In addition to 1), there is also:

3) Undergo immense gravitational acceleration, IE: 'lowering' a vessle close to an object which exerts a huge gravitational force, such as a black hole.

Space time is already warped.  That's a fundamental concept in general relativity - space and time are part of a unified non-euclidean spacetime geometry.   Warping space will help you get from point a to point b faster than light would go between those two points had the space not been warped, but you never surpass the velocity of light.

HAY RULE WHUT ABOUT LASERS?  DO THEY GO FASTER THAN LIGHT? ^_^

Lasers!  PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW!

Offline sushi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 06:56:39 pm »
Lasers are just as fast as light but... lasers are a concentrated form of light. I've seen light go at a speed of 24 mph because they had this really big pool of this really dense stuff and made light go only 24 mph it's cool.

Seperate question what is speed? speed the time it takes to move to one location to another? or is it the amount of distance covered in a set time. Yes we can reach the speed of light. Go in front of a Black hole. heh. lol.