Author Topic: The sabbath day and death  (Read 4278 times)

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
The sabbath day and death
« on: July 16, 2006, 11:42:57 pm »
What have do you believe is the sabbath day and what happens when you die based on both what you've been taught and read in the Bible?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: The sabbath day and death
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:10:03 am »
Sabbath day, uh, sunday, go to church, chill & marvel at the world & the complexities of it all.

Death, uhm, if you think you're going to hell you do...and hell is whatever the worst place is that you can imagine.  If you REALLY hate Disney World then that might be your hell.
Same sorta thing for heaven

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:31:41 am »
Death, uhm, if you think you're going to hell you do...and hell is whatever the worst place is that you can imagine.  If you REALLY hate Disney World then that might be your hell.
Same sorta thing for heaven

I'm pretty sure that Wires is asking about things in reference to Christianity.  What you've said isn't implied anywhere in the Bible, I don't think.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:29:23 pm »
@WiReS: Umm, I'm assuming you asked what day is the Sabbath day for Christians (your wording was kinda mumbo jumbo), but Christians believe it's Sunday. This is because God created the universe in six days and rested on the seventh.

But, I believe once you die, you go immediately up to Heaven or Hell. When Judgement Day comes, that is for people are still residing on Earth. I believe... maybe someone would like to clarify?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:33:49 pm »
The seventh day is Saturday.  You're all resting on the first day.

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:55:32 pm »
@WiReS: Umm, I'm assuming you asked what day is the Sabbath day for Christians (your wording was kinda mumbo jumbo), but Christians believe it's Sunday. This is because God created the universe in six days and rested on the seventh.
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Do you really think the Sabbath is Sunday now?

But, I believe once you die, you go immediately up to Heaven or Hell. When Judgement Day comes, that is for people are still residing on Earth. I believe... maybe someone would like to clarify?
The Bible says that when you die you go into a sleep until God comes back.  It doesn't say anything about going to either Heaven or Hell.  Hell doesn't even exist until God comes, Earth will the become Hell.

The seventh day is Saturday.  You're all resting on the first day.
Any other reasoning behind this?  I already know why, just curious if you believe/know why this is. :P

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:07:30 pm »

Well, the week starts on Monday.
Monday-1
Tuesday-2
Wednesday-3
Thursday-4
Friday-5
Saturday-6
Sunday-7

The Bible says that when you die you go into a sleep until God comes back.  It doesn't say anything about going to either Heaven or Hell.  Hell doesn't even exist until God comes, Earth will the become Hell.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was what I said or what you said.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:18:11 pm by skip »

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:11:30 pm »

Well, the week starts on Monday.
Monday-1
Tuesday-2
Wednesday-3
Thursday-4
Friday-5
Saturday-6
Sunday-7
Look at a calendar.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 01:41:16 pm »
If what I understand is correct, the original calender stated the Sabbath was Saturday. Some Jews still practice it on this day. (At least, the ones I knew while I still lived in St. Louis.) But, since Christianity eventually grew, I think earlier on in its history, something happened to make Sunday a more conveniant day to have a Sabbath (which is a day to rest, glorify God, and meditate on his works.) All in all, though, what day of the week your Sabbath is really doesn't matter. According to Christianity, at least from what my dad has said,  it's whether you practice having a Sabbath or not that matters, not which day you have it on. For instance, his Sabbath is Monday, because it is literally impossible for him to have a Sabbath on Sunday. (He is a pastor, pastors work on Sunday, obviously.)

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:45:04 pm »
My calendar starts on Monday and ends on Sunday.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 02:02:08 pm »
If what I understand is correct, the original calender stated the Sabbath was Saturday. Some Jews still practice it on this day. (At least, the ones I knew while I still lived in St. Louis.) But, since Christianity eventually grew, I think earlier on in its history, something happened to make Sunday a more conveniant day to have a Sabbath (which is a day to rest, glorify God, and meditate on his works.) All in all, though, what day of the week your Sabbath is really doesn't matter. According to Christianity, at least from what my dad has said,  it's whether you practice having a Sabbath or not that matters, not which day you have it on. For instance, his Sabbath is Monday, because it is literally impossible for him to have a Sabbath on Sunday. (He is a pastor, pastors work on Sunday, obviously.)
Constantine changed it from Saturday to Sunday.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 02:06:42 pm »
Constantine changed it from Saturday to Sunday.

Thanks for the clarifaction. I knew it was changed, but I wasn't sure exactly when.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 02:58:01 pm »
My calendar starts on Monday and ends on Sunday.
Look at a real calendar.

It wasn't changed to Sunday for just Christians.  It was changed for the whole Roman Empire.  Christians just accepted it because, as Kaleeko said, it's that you observe it, not when.