Author Topic: Control  (Read 8202 times)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
Control
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:05:35 am »
Are we in control of ourselves? 
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Control
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:04 am »
Yes.

Watch me type "joe sucks" in large golden bold caps.

JOE SUCKS

Now how am I not in control of myself?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:38:35 am »
<stupidity>
However, if you look at it... Antivirus made you post something that would prove that you were in control, so therefore he had control over you!
</stupidity>
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:41:37 am »
I mean over yourself, not necessarly just your actions.

Wouldn't a headache show a lack of control?  If you have a headache, shouldn't you beable to control that and get it to stop?  That's just one of many examples, but seriously..  Are we or are we not in control of ourselves?  Is the control we think we have just a show or is it the real thing?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 04:03:45 am »
To a certain extent? Yes. There are some people that can control their bodies in incredibly strange ways that don't make a lot of sense.

For instance, my doctor told me that I have some sort of condition where I am incredibly more aware of my body than most people. I don't have great reflexes because my body is almost completely under my concious control. I can make myself sick in less than an hour, can make an area of my body hurt just by thinking about it, and a number of other things that are just *odd*. Getting things to go away is another thing entirely. If I could do that, then I'd actually consider it something to brag about. It's not, though. It makes health conditions seem and feel much worse than they are.

So, it's probably a good thing that most people aren't in control. Frankly, our concious brain just can't handle a lot of what our subconcious deals with. Do you want to control your heartbeat? That would suck, because the second you start playing around with it, you could easily kill yourself.

I'm just talking in terms of physical.. stuff. Lovely word, stuff.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »
Do you want to control your heartbeat? That would suck, because the second you start playing around with it, you could easily kill yourself.

Not to mention it would suck to have to think "beat" "beat" every like 2 seconds :/.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:30:25 pm »
balls

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 02:53:09 pm »
Your brain is a part of you. It controls you. Therefore, you are controlling yourself.

Sure, you can't direct how it works, but it's still under your control. Proof: when your brain ceases to function, you no longer have control over organs it controlled.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 03:33:25 pm »
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:31:34 pm »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 10:34:23 pm »
Does addiction to self-pleasing actions count as being out of control? ahem :)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 04:41:06 am »
Intuitive response:  We are in control of some things while other things are out of our control.

Probable truth: We are in control of absolutely nothing.  There is no separation between our mind and some intangible entity.  The only choice you are going to make is the one you are going to make; free will is an illusion and the world is likely deterministic.  I suppose that's an incredibly brief summary of a 20-30 page response I have in my head somewhere.  :P

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 04:43:17 am by Rule »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 08:04:54 am »
Well, coming from the guy who still believes in mind over matter, and that the magic performed by the sorcerers in the books of Moses still exists today, yes, if you know how to control yourself. Most people simply don't know. Ever concentrated on making your head stop hurting when you had a headache? Try it sometime, it works.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 08:06:57 am »
balls

Is that a reference to you thinking of "beat beat"-ing your penis every two seconds? :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 12:20:22 pm »
balls

Is that a reference to you thinking of "beat beat"-ing your penis every two seconds? :)
that was me coming onto here, and then typing balls for no reason at all