Author Topic: Slackware 11.0 almost ready!  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Slackware 11.0 almost ready!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 11:51:57 pm »
You have the same laptop as I do. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get any higher than 640x480.

newby@overkill:~$ grep -A 1 -B 3 "1600x1200" /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 10:39:53 am »
If the video card is ATI or nVidia, that won't work.  You have to download the drivers which is a bit of a pain.  Both are do-able, though. 

And for network card, you probably have to load the driver.  Most people (besides rabbit, I suppose) do the defaults when installing, which is setting up the network card for dhcp and enabling hotplug.  Assuming you did those, and you have no interweb, you have to load the driver (every network card you'll ever see, most likely, has a driver). 

Figure out the brand, google it to figure out the driver, then do "modprobe [drivername]"

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 10:54:00 am »
Hm.  Turn up the resolution.  Make sure you run net-config (IIRC that's what it's called).  Enable hotplug.  All of that happened to me too.
Just to clarify, there is no hyphen.  It's just "netconfig".

How do you go about updating Slackware without completely reinstalling?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 11:04:36 am »
Ugh, all that work... I kind of prefer to just use a distro where all that stuff is already installed & configured out of the box.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 11:25:25 am »
There's several ways, depending on how you installed:
- If you used a different partition for /home and /usr/local, then you just install again, formatting your root partition
- If you used the same partition, you can probably just install again, ensuring that you check off the same files
- Use slapt-get --dist-upgrade

Ugh, all that work... I kind of prefer to just use a distro where all that stuff is already installed & configured out of the box.
I believe I just said this in my previous post, but maybe I didn't stay it right: Slackware DOES install and configure everything out of the box, unless you say 'no' while installing it.  That's except for drivers, which isn't a terribly common condition. 

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 12:10:39 pm »

There's a file on the root location of the install CD. Called "UPGRADING" or something.

Follow those instructions. ;)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.