Author Topic: AP Environmental Science Chart Correlation  (Read 3620 times)

trust

AP Environmental Science Chart Correlation
« on: October 12, 2006, 02:51:45 pm »
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p8e3h76Y81_tASL5lttazWg

The above spreadsheet consists of data collected in my AP Env Sci class, our task is to find correlation between data points of our choice (ex. gender/height) and create graphs and analyze the correlation. What I did was put all of this data into Excel and used the graphing tool on there but it really didn't graph anything like I was hoping for (maybe it's not able or maybe I did it wrong.)

If anyone could let me know of some correlations or how to generate the graph simply in Excel (or other program) that'd be great!

Thanks.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: AP Environmental Science Chart Correlation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:54:39 pm »
What kind of graph are you looking for?  What was inconsistent with your expectations?

trust

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 03:24:28 pm »
Any type of graphs are acceptable according to my teacher.

The way the graphs came out really didn't plot one thing against the other. Line graphs and scatterplots both graphed them at distant parts of the graph due to the number differences (like height and wrist circumference or something)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 04:22:03 pm »
What do you want to graph?  Age vs all of the rest of the things?  For the graph to make any sort of sense without lots of thinking, it should only have one independant variable, ie: height.  If you want this, I suggest you order the rows in terms of height or whatever you want your dependant variable to be (instead of the ID) and add a single quote " ' " at the beginning of each cell, so 192.25 should be "'192.25".  Then try it.

Here's an example of what I got by doing that: http://sidoh.dark-wire.net/upload/files/9AKZVGSISN-42d496a29a4bca85.xls

I'm not sure if the data sorted correctly.  I was playing around with it enough for a mistake to happen, so make sure you do it yourself as well.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:32:28 pm »
I would remove the outliers(anything +/- 1.5xIQR), and see if it helps.
The writ of the founders must endure.

trust

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:04:18 pm »
I don't want to compare everything, simple things like gender in relation to height or height in relation to wingspan or wrist circumference or something like that.

I'm not sure if I just don't understand how to turn the graph into words or what, but I don't think the graph shown is what I need.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 09:15:11 pm »
I don't want to compare everything, simple things like gender in relation to height or height in relation to wingspan or wrist circumference or something like that.

I'm not sure if I just don't understand how to turn the graph into words or what, but I don't think the graph shown is what I need.

You want to turn the independant variable (ie, height in height -> wingspan) into non-numerical data (by inserting the quote that I mentioned before).  Then, just selected two columns at a time and it should compare height vs whatever else you select.  For gender, do the same thing.  You'll want to sort the columns by gender and graph the heights/whatever of the different genders separately by asigning each to a different series.

If you need any more help with this, IM me and we can work on it.

trust

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 09:50:24 pm »
Okay, I'm going to work on this more over the weekend (it's due Monday) will you be available if I need help?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 10:11:44 pm »
Okay, I'm going to work on this more over the weekend (it's due Monday) will you be available if I need help?

I have a phone conference some time this weekend (not sure which day or time), but I'm pretty free other than that.