Author Topic: Re: Joe The Lifeguard  (Read 17334 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Re: Joe The Lifeguard
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 01:30:32 am »
I don't know what the NDA is, but for me, it's common sense, so theres no "I make more than you! Ha!" or "Why does he make more than me if he sucks at his job?" going on.

The first day was fun! I got to yell at like fifty kids for running.. around 5 cared what I had to say! I saw my 8th grade math teacher at the kiddie pool (with his kiddie) and basically rotated between two kiddie pools, a waterslide, and the bottom of the waterslide (all kiddie equipment). The nice thing about kiddie stuff is there is nearly zero posibility of drowning, or even getting hurt, so the kiddie pools was 'sit at the edge and make sure nothing bad happens', the bottom of the slide was 'stare at your feet and think' (splash waves would come hit your feet, because of the way the bottom is built, and you could tell when someone got down), and the top was pretty much 'you can go.. wait 30 seconds.. you can go..'. It's definately not the best job in the world, sure (I'd personally love a desk job programming right around now, actually), but it's definately not the worst (frycook, nay, busperson) and the indoor areas aren't that humid after you get your first good drenching and you're semi-wet. I think there were at least five points in the day where I totally forgot I was actually working. :)

EDIT -
Oh, and now that I've (temporarily, perhaps) quit WoW, I plan on going workaholic-mode on this job for a while. Shopping list!:
MacBook
iPod
Wireless router (for MacBook)
Phone line (Sounds stupid, but parents and I, plus friend, agreed it'd be a good move, plus the house is already wired for it).
More to come.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:32:18 am by Joe[x86] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 01:55:38 am »
I don't know what the NDA is, but for me, it's common sense, so theres no "I make more than you! Ha!" or "Why does he make more than me if he sucks at his job?" going on.

That doesn't mean that you haven't managed to overlook one or more reasons they want you to keep your pay somewhat confidential.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 09:31:50 pm »
Seriously, like what? I honestly don't know. I respect their request, but I don't know why.

Anyhow, I just worked my first double (which is kinda big, seeing as how it's illegal or something for minors to work doubles..) and my feet hurt like fuck.

On the way out (it takes 15 minutes to walk from where I was stationed to the front desk) I saw these four girls, one taking a picture of the other tree, and said in a monotone, I'm-exhausted-but-joking voice, "Do you want the lifeguard in your picture too?" and they're like "YEAH!", one flings herself on me, smiles, and says "This is my boyfriend!". After they took the picture and were walking away, the one who took the picture, and thus wasn't in it, said "I'd like photo with you". I didn't recognize the accent as German, but as French, and I thought she said "I'd like flirt with you", because what American says "photo" in place of "picture", in that context, but then I remembered I was in WI Dells and that the majority are NOT Americans. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 09:53:33 pm »
Seriously, like what? I honestly don't know. I respect their request, but I don't know why.

Did you completely miss what I said?  Do you think that you're so special that you're capable of tracing every possible reason that a rule, a request or an expectation exists?

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 10:45:35 pm »

Did you completely miss what I said?  Do you think that you're so special that you're capable of tracing every possible reason that a rule, a request or an expectation exists?

I tried my hardest to say the opposite of that. I was asking if you meant that I missed something obvious, and if I did, to explain it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 11:05:42 pm »
I tried my hardest to say the opposite of that. I was asking if you meant that I missed something obvious, and if I did, to explain it.

You obviously didn't respect their request.  You totally ignored it and did exactly what it asked you to not do.

I'm not saying I see a reason for it; I'm simply pointing out that you should probably respect the requests of your employer.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 11:12:35 pm »
K.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 11:21:23 pm »
but it's definately not the worst (frycook, nay, busperson)

I doubt it. Do you get discounted/free food? Do you make your paycheck in tips? (meaning paycheck*2, meaning out here, that'd be ~$12-13 an hour)

Sure, you work harder, but you make more $ too. I'd rather be occupied with doing something than sitting there and going "ok, you can go...... wait..... ok, you can go" for six hours at a time.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 11:29:00 pm »
Do you think that you're so special that you're capable of tracing every possible reason that a rule, a request or an expectation exists?
I am.  ;D
errr... something like that...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Joe The Lifeguard
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 08:31:04 am »
Home Depot ftw!  They pay 1/2 college tuition :X

trust

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 08:42:52 am »
Home Depot ftw!  They pay 1/2 college tuition :X

Are you serious? What are the requirements?

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 11:11:29 am »
Work...I was talking to the girl at the paint counter while my paint was being stirred (shaken?).  She said they pay 1/2 of tuition as long as you work for them and are in college for something related to Home Depot (she said even English counts, so eh?), you get paid leave, ANNNND they will work you around your schedule, as long as you work a certain number of hours a week, which I think it's only like 8 or 10 too.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 02:04:46 pm »
Work...I was talking to the girl at the paint counter while my paint was being stirred (shaken?).  She said they pay 1/2 of tuition as long as you work for them and are in college for something related to Home Depot (she said even English counts, so eh?), you get paid leave, ANNNND they will work you around your schedule, as long as you work a certain number of hours a week, which I think it's only like 8 or 10 too.

Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal.  I'd still hate working there, though.  Plus, I'm not sure if they'd count my areas of focus.

It's still nice to know.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 04:32:50 pm »
What area is that?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 04:50:45 pm »
What area is that?

Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics.