Author Topic: Verified by VISA  (Read 2365 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Verified by VISA
« on: November 12, 2006, 12:50:19 am »
Verified by VISA is the biggest WTF I've ever seen.

Let me summarize a shopping experience I just had with Verified by VISA (this is the first time I've seen it):

I go to buy a domain.  I put in my credit card, plus the 3 digits on the back, and all the rest of the stuff.  I hit 'Order'.  It pops up a window, out of nowhere, which is loading the site 'saferpay.com', non-SSL.  That site forwards me to 'securesuite.net', which is SSL-signed.  I have never heard of either of these sites, and the names don't fill me with confidence.  If they were .visa.com or .rbcroyalbank.com, then I'd feel better.

This suspicious popup that I wasn't expecting asked me for my full name, my 3-digit verifier (which I had already endered), and asked me to create a password, with the condition that it had to be 6-15 characters, with no spaces (wtf?).  I gave it a new (decent) password, that was about 12 characters, no spaces.  It said "Sorry, your password can't have spaces".  Broken JavaScript?  So I hit 'Cancel' because I don't like the looks of any of this, and the site I was at says, "thank you for your payment!" ... so wtf, did it actually go through?

After verifying that it did indeed fail, I went back through it, gave it the weak 6-alphabetic password that I generally use for random sites, and it gladly accepted that and the payment went through. 

This really bothers me.  They call this bull---err, crap online security?  Please.  Let's go over the list of WTFs:
- Paying with a credit card, I got a weird popup from a strange site (redirected from an insecure site) asking for my CC info
- The site asks for information that I had already given
- The password policy threw out my strong password and accepted my weak password
- It was impossible to tell if the verification even worked

I honestly can't believe this happened..

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Verified by VISA
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 01:31:57 am »
That's not been my experience with VBV, but the only time I've actually used VBV was on wal-mart.com.  *shrug*
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 02:49:08 am »
I've been forced to use a similar service using my debit card on Newegg recently.  The downfalls I observed didn't lead me to accept such a grim prognosis of my opinion on the matter, but I definitely agree with you here.  That's terrible.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:23:00 am »
Yeah.. I don't know if I would have filled any of that out.  I would have probably called my bank and asked them what was going on.  If they didn't know, I would have them get me the number of someone who does know what is going on.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:28:24 pm »
You better watch your credit card statements. That just doesn't seem right.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:35:15 am »
I do watch them, but I know it's right -- it's just extremely stupid.