Author Topic: Microsoft Firefox Professional??  (Read 16321 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Microsoft Firefox Professional??
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 10:58:53 am »
I personally don't think that IE7 is a blantant copy of Firefox, although it does have a lot of the features. It's still IE enough to make he download and run Firefox over Vista, though.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 11:02:00 am »
Or maybe do what firefox did in the first place which was come up with a new idea to impleament instead of just stealing them all from other companies' successes.
Want to meet someone famous?  Cut out this coupon!

|This coupon good for  \
|ONE FREE hunting        \
|expedition with            /
|Dick Cheney.             /

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 11:47:13 am »
I'm not saying they shouldn't use successful ideas, I'm saying that they should add some creativity there so it doesn't appear to be quite a blatant copy.

Look at three tabbed browsers, ie: opera, firefox, mozila.  See much difference?  They're clearly sending spies to copy one companies ideas, but who?!  I say opera.  It's always the little guy.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 12:25:55 pm »
I know but if you compare IE to Firefox, they even stole some of Firefox's logos... Logos that were made for firefox. Not icons that were general for the object.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 12:26:51 pm »
I know but if you compare IE to Firefox, they even stole some of Firefox's logos...

Somehow I doubt that.  Plus, it's not like it makes a difference...

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 12:35:10 pm »
I'm not saying they shouldn't use successful ideas, I'm saying that they should add some creativity there so it doesn't appear to be quite a blatant copy.

Look at three tabbed browsers, ie: opera, firefox, mozila.  See much difference?  They're clearly sending spies to copy one companies ideas, but who?!  I say opera.  It's always the little guy.

lol, fucking spies

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 12:42:22 pm »
It doesn't make a difference but the rss feed logo was what was stolen. The one Firefox uses was made by them for RSS. It wasn't universal until Firefox made it so

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 12:54:50 pm »
It doesn't make a difference but the rss feed logo was what was stolen. The one Firefox uses was made by them for RSS. It wasn't universal until Firefox made it so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

It seems to be their official logo... what's wrong with implementing standards?  I thought we'd all agreed Microsoft needed more of that.  If they make IE8 W3C compliant, will you whine because they copied Opera?

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 01:01:07 pm »
Quote from: Wikipedia
In December 2005, the Microsoft IE team and Outlook team announced in their blogs that they will be adopting the feed icon first used in the Mozilla Firefox browser , effectively making the orange square with white radio waves the industry standard for both RSS and related formats such as Atom. Also in February 2006, Opera Software announced they too will add the orange square in their next release of Opera 9.

That idea is perfectly reasonable I understand.Copying a logo to make it universal.

But when IE7 implemented tabbed browsing it works EXACTLY like firefox's does. Right down to the keyboard shortcuts.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 02:03:06 pm »
That idea is perfectly reasonable I understand.Copying a logo to make it universal.

But when IE7 implemented tabbed browsing it works EXACTLY like firefox's does. Right down to the keyboard shortcuts.

Again, what's wrong with making things standard?  Doing stupid things like that to make a program "unique" is dumb.  It sort of reminds me of the color codes they used for PS/2 ports for a while.  Gateway did their own thing, dell had their own combination, etc.  It was like a rainbow!  It didn't work very well.

I think making key shortcuts standard is a really good idea.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 02:21:14 pm »
Like what, Ctrl+Tab?  You realize that Ctrl+Tab has been the *Windows* shortcut for switchiing windows *within* one program since Windows 3.0, right?  On any Windows program that could be considered MDI, Ctrl+Tab has been the standard for switching MDI children.

Also, and this is just an FYI, Firefox was released to 1.0 in November, 2004.  Microsoft Visual Studio was already using the tabbed browsing paradigm for 2 years in the source code editor.  Firefox must have copied Visual Studio!   :o :o :o

You're not making your case, I hope you realize.  As unTactical pointed out, there's nothing wrong with reimplementing features (otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as an open-source movement, where not only features but the code behind features is copied), especially when they have proven to work in the past.  It's an insult to anyone who has ever written software and taken inspiration from someone else's work that you say that they shouldn't "copy" features from other things.

Or maybe do what firefox did in the first place which was come up with a new idea to impleament instead of just stealing them all from other companies' successes.
You're right, they didn't implement an HTML browser, they didn't include RSS (which was not a Mozilla-developed standard), they didn't include support for XML....
 ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 02:23:56 pm by MyndFyre[x86] »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 02:35:12 pm »
Just so you know, Mozilla and Microsoft collaborated on their browsers (FF 2.0 and IE7.0) in things like RSS Feeds in Windows Vista, the RSS icon, Anti Phishing Filters, etc..

If you want more information watch some of the Channel9 interviews with the IE7 team.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 07:15:38 pm »
I'm all for standards. But, Microsoft prides itself in setting them. They picture themselves the leaders. They are finally realizing they don't own all by realizing that others can do decent stuff too.

Microsoft sending a congratulations cake seems more like Microsoft is thinking themselves as the leader again. The cake gives the appearance of them being asses, giving them a cake congratulating them.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 07:25:17 pm »
I'm all for standards. But, Microsoft prides itself in setting them. They picture themselves the leaders. They are finally realizing they don't own all by realizing that others can do decent stuff too.

Microsoft sending a congratulations cake seems more like Microsoft is thinking themselves as the leader again. The cake gives the appearance of them being asses, giving them a cake congratulating them.

Microsoft prides themselves in setting standards?  I think that's a fallable assumption -- especially when you're applying it to something like this.  You whine when Microsoft implements some stupid alternative standard, but you whine when they conform to the norm?  That seems pretty silly.

You're speculating.  Maybe they were sincere when they sent the cake.  It was stupid anyway... I don't see how it implies that anyone is rubbing their nose in someone elses' face.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 07:33:02 pm »

Microsoft prides themselves in setting standards?  I think that's a fallable assumption -- especially when you're applying it to something like this.  You whine when Microsoft implements some stupid alternative standard, but you whine when they conform to the norm?  That seems pretty silly.

You're speculating.  Maybe they were sincere when they sent the cake.  It was stupid anyway... I don't see how it implies that anyone is rubbing their nose in someone elses' face.

I thought of the cake as a nice gesture and expected something of the like. Really you should read the videos to see how closely they collaborated.

just FYI: This isn't aimed at Sidoh, I'm just quoting him and building on his points.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling