Author Topic: hostapd continually dying?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
hostapd continually dying?
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:04:16 pm »
Over the last couple of weeks hostapd will randomly shut down and stop working. I don't know why. I have to ssh in and stop/start it with the rc script to get it working again. Occasionally when I start it the entire system will page fault.

Thoughts?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: hostapd continually dying?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:52:37 pm »
Over the last couple of weeks hostapd will randomly shut down and stop working. I don't know why. I have to ssh in and stop/start it with the rc script to get it working again. Occasionally when I start it the entire system will page fault.

Thoughts?

What card are you using?  Some of the drivers are flaky.  For example, iwi is flaky...the author doesn't develop FreeBSD drivers anymore (he does OpenBSD drivers now).  Anyhow, some of these drivers can cause crashes.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:20:44 pm »
Atheros driver. It's a Netgear card. WG311T or something.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:03:18 pm »
Atheros driver. It's a Netgear card. WG311T or something.

Wow, Atheros is pretty good ... thats a surprise.  Well, in that case, it could be a problem with hostapd, or it could be a problem with the WLAN infrastructure that FreeBSD has.
An adorable giant isopod!