Author Topic: Physics Problem (linear collision)  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Physics Problem (linear collision)
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:39:58 pm »
Ok, I am working on physics homework and I am stuck on one problem :-/ .
"A bullet of mass 10g strikes a ballistic pendulum of mass 2.0kg. The center of mass of the pendulum rises a vertical distance of 12cm. Assuming that the bullet remains embedded in the pendulum, calculate the bullet's initial speed."
I don't see how I can do it without the radius of the pendulum... Anyone have any ideas as to how to solve it?
EDIT: Never mind. I used the conservation of energy (duh!)
EDIT2: Still can't get it though :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:51:15 pm by Towelie »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Physics Problem (linear collision)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:13:30 am »
Wait.... don't you have to use the conservation of momentum?
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:14:13 am »
Remember that gravity is a conservative force (the energy it takes to raise a weight some distance above "the ground" is independent of the path taken if gravity is the only force considered).

I'm pretty sure conservation of energy is the 'correct' way to solve this problem.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:18:54 am »
Remember that gravity is a conservative force (the energy it takes to raise a weight some distance above "the ground" is independent of the path taken if gravity is the only force considered).

I'm pretty sure conservation of energy is the 'correct' way to solve this problem.
I have to use both. :P

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:22:28 am »

I don't think so.

Solve for the energy that it takes to lift the mass of the bullet plus the pendulum 12cm and set it equal to the kinetic energy of the bullet.  That should enable you to solve for the initial velocity.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 12:26:46 am »

I don't think so.

Solve for the energy that it takes to lift the mass of the bullet plus the pendulum 12cm and set it equal to the kinetic energy of the bullet.  That should enable you to solve for the initial velocity.
I thought of taking kinetic energy RIGHT after the collision and set it equal to the potential energy of the pendulum+bullet at 12cm. After that use the conservation of momentum to find the speed of the bullet required to move the pendulum+bullet at that speed. I got 110m/s and th answer is 1100m/s :(

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 12:29:55 am »
I thought of taking kinetic energy RIGHT after the collision and set it equal to the potential energy of the pendulum+bullet at 12cm. After that use the conservation of momentum to find the speed of the bullet required to move the pendulum+bullet at that speed. I got 110m/s and th answer is 1100m/s :(

If friction is ignored, the kinetic of the energy before it hits the pendulum is exactly equal to the potential energy the pendulum and the bullet gain when they are lifted 12cm.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 12:33:21 am »
This is a handy web page for this . The thing is, it gets 1100 km/h and 308 m/s.
errr... something like that...

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 01:14:27 am »
This is a handy web page for this . The thing is, it gets 1100 km/h and 308 m/s.
The answer is 1400m/s*

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 01:54:47 am »
Oh, you can't use just the conservation of energy... the collision isn't elastic.  However, the kinetic energy of the bullet and the pendulum plus the potential energy of them is conserved.

The answer is 1400m/s*

lol, I don't think bullets travel a kilometer and a half a second, even in hypothetical physics problems!  drake's right.  With some rounding errors, I get 307 m/s.

Here's the correct way to do it:

1) Find the velocity of the pendulum + the bullet after the bullet collides with the pendulum.  Use conservation of energy:

2) Use conservation of momentum to solve for the initial speed of the bullet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:10:43 am by Sidoh »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 03:57:49 pm »
Oh, you can't use just the conservation of energy... the collision isn't elastic.  However, the kinetic energy of the bullet and the pendulum plus the potential energy of them is conserved.

The answer is 1400m/s*

lol, I don't think bullets travel a kilometer and a half a second, even in hypothetical physics problems!  drake's right.  With some rounding errors, I get 307 m/s.

Here's the correct way to do it:

1) Find the velocity of the pendulum + the bullet after the bullet collides with the pendulum.  Use conservation of energy:

2) Use conservation of momentum to solve for the initial speed of the bullet.

I redid it and got the correct answer.
Kinetic initial -> Potential final, v^2=2gh. v=1.53
m1v1=(m1+m2)v
(.01)v1=(2.01)(1.53)
v=307.5m/s.

And now I take a moment to explain that I was an idiot in saying the answer was that, I was looking at the answer to another problem. Thanks for the help though, but I got it before you guys helped ;)

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 04:05:55 pm »
And now I take a moment to explain that I was an idiot in saying the answer was that, I was looking at the answer to another problem. Thanks for the help though, but I got it before you guys helped ;)

Meh, I would have gotten it the first time if I had read the whole problem.  I missed the part where the bullet is embedded in the pendulum.  While it's a pretty obvious detail, it's an important hint.