Author Topic: What's your typical cell phone minute usage and plan?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: What's your typical cell phone minute usage and plan?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 01:03:02 am »
I can't stand cell phones.  I used to have one, but I decided that I would never get one again (in the near future) for the following reasons:
a) I don't like being "reachable" wherever I am, or having people believe that I am reachable. (Yes, the cell phone can be turned off, but that doesn't mean people won't expect to be able to contact me when I'm out).
I'm not a big fan of the things either, and this one bugs me the most. I mitigate it as much as possible by having my phone only accept incoming calls from my contacts, which consists of family members, a few close friends, and the girlfriend. Most of these people know me well enough to know I don't like the phone so rarely call me unless it is important, with the obvious exception of the girlfriend who loves to call me every single night. If I really don't want to be interupted while I'm out, the phone stays home.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 06:27:38 am »
c) They usually don't feel as comfortable as a landline telephone, as they have been designed with portability in mind.
Easily solved.

trust

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 07:00:54 am »
I can't stand cell phones.  I used to have one, but I decided that I would never get one again (in the near future) for the following reasons:
a) I don't like being "reachable" wherever I am, or having people believe that I am reachable. (Yes, the cell phone can be turned off, but that doesn't mean people won't expect to be able to contact me when I'm out).
I'm not a big fan of the things either, and this one bugs me the most. I mitigate it as much as possible by having my phone only accept incoming calls from my contacts, which consists of family members, a few close friends, and the girlfriend. Most of these people know me well enough to know I don't like the phone so rarely call me unless it is important, with the obvious exception of the girlfriend who loves to call me every single night. If I really don't want to be interupted while I'm out, the phone stays home.

What if you need it in the case of an emergency while you're out? I just don't answer it if I don't want to talk.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 11:39:24 am »
What if you need it in the case of an emergency while you're out? I just don't answer it if I don't want to talk.

People still plan, and count on you being reachable wherever you are.  For example, parents often give cell-phones to their kids to "keep tabs" on them.

They can be useful in emergencies, but so can a lot of other things that I'm not going to carry around with me (e.g. first aid kits).  Never have I been in an emergency situation where personally owning a cell-phone would have helped, but in the unlikely event of such an emergency, I could in most cases
a) use someone else's cell-phone
b) use a payphone
c) use a landline near by

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 07:23:27 pm »
I'm living alone now, and it turns out that a cell-phone is cheaper than a land-line for the amount I use it, so financially it makes sense. I've never complained to anybody about my "minutes" unless I want to get rid of them, maybe you should be careful about who you talk to? :)

I agree that it's annoying when people use that excuse. It's also stressful if I'm using a phone and worrying about my own minutes. But it's so rare to use the phone during the day that I'm nowhere close to my time limit, and therefore I'm perfectly comfortable not worrying about minutes.

If I need to use the phone in a restaurant, I excuse myself and stand outside/in the lobby. In class, I never answer my phone, no matter what. I'll return the call between classes.

My phone is always on vibrate, because I hate ringing phones.

I don't mind being reachable, since there are very few people that want to reach me, and usually it's important if they do.

I think that covers your main objections. I stand by having a cellphone without a landline. Of course, it's a personal taste thing :)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 02:35:44 am »
I think that covers your main objections. I stand by having a cellphone without a landline. Of course, it's a personal taste thing :)

Well, you've agreed with some of them :P.  But sure, it's probably more ideal for some people to use cell phones over land-lines.  I personally can't stand them, but certain things that bug me immensely probably don't bother other people as much or at all.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 09:18:46 am »
Cellphones = life. Bored in class? Txt one of the random girls in your phone book. At work? Text Messaging! I use my phone entirley too much, but if someone calls it to talk, I just say call the house phone. Only time I really talk on my phone for long conversations is when I'm driving.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:51 am »
I maybe use 60 minutes / month.  I text a lot at work ( I work over night ), but other then that I rarely use my phone.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 10:27:16 pm »
People still plan, and count on you being reachable wherever you are.  For example, parents often give cell-phones to their kids to "keep tabs" on them.

They can be useful in emergencies, but so can a lot of other things that I'm not going to carry around with me (e.g. first aid kits).  Never have I been in an emergency situation where personally owning a cell-phone would have helped, but in the unlikely event of such an emergency, I could in most cases
a) use someone else's cell-phone
b) use a payphone
c) use a landline near by
It really hasn't been my experience that people plan or count on me being available whenever and wherever I am.  In fact, I often encourage my customers to utilize my mobile phone over e-mail but rarely am contacted by phone.  I would much rather get mobile phone calls that have to deal with e-mail.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 10:59:14 pm »
I use about 500 minutes a month and send/receive way to many text messages. 
-RoMi

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 09:05:14 pm »
I use the standard 450m Verizon plan with the tethered EVDO/1x data option (which I am now using to post with from the Westin hotel in downtown Seattle).

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 09:13:45 pm »
I use the standard 450m Verizon plan with the tethered EVDO/1x data option (which I am now using to post with from the Westin hotel in downtown Seattle).

I hated living in Seattle.  Smoggy skies and rainy days FTL
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.