Author Topic: All problems in one post :P (5 questions)  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
All problems in one post :P (5 questions)
« on: April 02, 2007, 11:54:09 am »
Q1.If an equilateral triangle and a square have the same area, what is the ratio of their perimeters?

Q2.what is the largest  5 digit palindrome with no digit represented more than twice?

Q3.To the nearest 100th of a square inch, what is the area inside the three point zone but outside the paint in college basketball?

Q4. Under what conditions does a 5th degree polynomial have exactly two inflection points?

Q5.what is the area of the largest isosceles trapezoid that can be inscribed under the sine curve from 0 to pi ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:15:50 am by Towelie »

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
Re: All problems in one post :P
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:41:40 pm »
1. fourth root-3 / six?
2. 98789
3. dont want to look up measurements
4. at least 3 real roots, and two of the roots are equal? [Edit]: you need an odd number, you cant have two points of inflection for a 5th degree polynomial.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:19:56 pm by Deuce »
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:54:47 pm »
(4)

Given the polynomial x^5 + ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, it has exactly two inflection points if 2a^2 > 5b.

Hint: An nth degree polynomial has n real roots iff

Take this as a given. It's a result of the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality.

By the way, this is a beautiful problem =)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:00:57 pm by Ender »

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:20 pm »
4. at least 3 real roots, and two of the roots are equal? [Edit]: you need an odd number, you cant have two points of inflection for a 5th degree polynomial.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:10:33 am »
(4)

Given the polynomial x^5 + ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, it has exactly two inflection points if 2a^2 > 5b.

Rofl, I sent that answer to him and I got this reply:
That sounds pretty smart but I doubt it.  I'm looking for a more general solution.... remember I don't have a caculator & I won't bother looking up solutions on the net.  I waste all my time on the ladies!

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:01 am »
That sounds pretty smart but I doubt it.  I'm looking for a more general solution.... remember I don't have a caculator & I won't bother looking up solutions on the net.  I waste all my time on the ladies!

What a giant douchebag.

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:57:25 am »
(4)

Hmm... I take this back. No fifth degree polynomial can have exactly two inflection points. This is because its second derivative can't have two real roots (each with a multiplicity of 1). It can either have three real roots or one real root and two complex roots. And in a cubic function the number of real roots you have corresponds to the number of points where the polynomial changes sign.

The way I got my first solution was by solving for when the fifth degree polynomial and its second derivative satisfy

The problem is that when the second derivative has three real roots, it has three inflection points, not two.

The reason I said this problem was beautiful is that it worked out so that if you have a fifth degree polynomial with five real roots, then its second derivative will have three real roots. I suspect that a the ith derivative of an nth degree polynomial with n real roots has n - i real roots, but I'm going to get around to proving it in another thread.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 11:48:45 am »
(4)

Hmm... I take this back. No fifth degree polynomial can have exactly two inflection points. This is because its second derivative can't have two real roots (each with a multiplicity of 1). It can either have three real roots or one real root and two complex roots. And in a cubic function the number of real roots you have corresponds to the number of points where the polynomial changes sign.

The way I got my first solution was by solving for when the fifth degree polynomial and its second derivative satisfy

The problem is that when the second derivative has three real roots, it has three inflection points, not two.

The reason I said this problem was beautiful is that it worked out so that if you have a fifth degree polynomial with five real roots, then its second derivative will have three real roots. I suspect that a the ith derivative of an nth degree polynomial with n real roots has n - i real roots, but I'm going to get around to proving it in another thread.
x^5+x^4+2 does. F'(x)= 5x^4+4x^3, f"(x)= 20x^3+12x^2 which factors into 4x^2(5x+3), inflection points at 0 and -(3/5)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:26:50 pm »
x^5+x^4+2 does. F'(x)= 5x^4+4x^3, f"(x)= 20x^3+12x^2 which factors into 4x^2(5x+3), inflection points at 0 and -(3/5)
It really doesn't look that way when I graph it.  :-\  Also, all you proved was that the second derivative had two solutions.  Yes, it is necessary for an inflection point to have f''(x)=0, but it doesn't guarantee that the point is an inflection point.
errr... something like that...

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:18 pm »
(4)

The root x=0 has a multiplicity of two, meaning it doesn't change sign at x=0. As dark_drake said, for a point x=c to be an inflection point in f(x), f''(x) must change sign at x=c. If f''(c) is zero, it doesn't necessarily change sign (e.g., x=0 on a parabola).

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:53:42 pm »

What the hell?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 07:31:13 am »

What the hell?

Oh sorry, Deuce, I missed that you said that. My bad =\ And good job =).

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: All problems in one post :P (5 questions)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 12:54:12 pm »
anyone going to try #5?

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 05:29:01 pm »
I got an area of 1.82 for Q5.

Solution soon to come.

Offline Ender

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 05:36:53 pm »
We know that the area of an isosceles trapezoid is the average of the bases times the height. We want to get this area in terms of one variable, x. I chose for x the length of the shorter base. We know that the other base will be pi. Now we need to find out the height that the shorter base is at. The distance from the origin to the shorter base is (pi - x) / 2. The height is the sine of this.

Then you differentiate this function and solve for the roots of the derivative. I did this with my TI-89. There are infinitely many roots, as it contains a trig function, but only one root, .92, is under pi (it has to be, since it's the shorter base). I plugged this root into the area function and got 1.82.

Edit: nvm.~!~
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:40:48 pm by Ender »