Author Topic: I need your guys help  (Read 4018 times)

Offline abc

• View Profile
I need your guys help
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:01:11 pm »
Code: [Select]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:26:04 pm by abc »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: I need your guys help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:11:22 pm »
I'd say it's up to you.  Your decision, your life, etc.

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:12:32 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:26:13 pm by abc »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:31:47 pm »
uhm, I'm saying that you're not married to your girl or anything and that you'll be old enough to disregard what your parents want and still do what you want.
Just so long as it is what YOU want to do. (cliche, I know).

My friend just joined the reserves, he's havin a blast.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 12:43:02 pm »
Careful. If you end up on the front line, the first time a bullet whizzes by your head you'll be wishing you stayed home I bet. ;)

But it's all up to you. Do Navy! Sit off the coast, and have ample time to prepare for something to hit your ship. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 12:51:48 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:26:21 pm by abc »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »
Do the Air Force...oooh, or Marines!  That'd be cool.  Don't pay as well as the Army, though, I think.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 01:33:52 pm »
I believe it'll make me mentally, and physically stronger (I'm not mentally insane or anything :P).
That's a tough call on the "mentally stronger" part. It seems from observation (ie, watching movies) that soldiers are mentally strong, and that's probably true. However, if you talk to intelligent people that have been through military training, they'll tell you that it's all about brainwashing you. It's not necessarily in a bad way, but a lot of what they do is break down your will and rebuild you the way that army wants you. At least, that's what I've been told.

So yes, perhaps you're mentally stronger, but it's almost like a new will being built, not improving your old one.

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 01:44:19 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:26:30 pm by abc »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:47:49 pm »
But the training you do is intended to prepare you for combat, which is difficult. How do you train somebody to kill? The only real way is by psychological techniques like brainwashing. At least, that seems plausible to me, and has been confirmed by people I've talked to.

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 01:52:59 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 01:26:36 pm by abc »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 01:57:09 pm »
But it's all up to you. Do Navy! Sit off the coast, and have ample time to prepare for something to hit your ship. :P

My good friend is in the Navy.  He's on the ground in Afghanistan for seven months.

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 03:49:51 pm »
Join the Air Force. I don't know about the US military, but in the Canadian military you get paid pretty good, and your not deployed in the front line as much as the army.

I'm currently an air cadet, and I'm aiming to become a pilot in the Canadian military. Lucky for me, air cadets get a pay bonus if they join the military. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:51:42 pm by chuck »
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 03:52:01 pm »

My good friend is in the Navy.  He's on the ground in Afghanistan for seven months.

Sucks.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline LordVader

• Knowledge is power.
    • View Profile
    • James Moss on the web!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 04:05:20 pm »
As far as "what to join" if you do that's upto you and you're temperment and likes, if you want to be ultra safe yet still engaged and doing something neat i would say airforce or navy.
Aircraft Carriers, and Submarines are a good idea if you don't want be up close and personal but each has it's perks and drawbacks..
I'm not speaking from personal experience but from what i've gleamed from family/friends who are in the different services.
I nearly joined the Navy when I was 18 but didn't and looking back in alot of ways I really wish I had.
I'm 33 now with no formal college education just highschool and alot of real world + google know how and experience.
Where as if i'd have joined the Navy i'm 99% sure I would have atleast a bachelors degree + alot of experience in electronics and other things that may of been of great use to me today.

But yah listen to what you're family/friends/others say and take that into count, but it really does boil down to you atleast in my oppinion..
If you're looking and thinking long term where you will be and that seems like a good/logical way to get yourself somewhere go for it.
If not and you are unsure or whatever I would put it off untill you're atleast sure that you've gone thru several options in you're mind of where you want to be at 20/25/30+ etc..
including what you want and how to get there College etc..

If you don't see other good choices I can honestly say seeing friends and my father and other's today.
If you can suck it up and get thru it the military isn't a bad thing but that's me.
The main thing is can you handle it and keep you're sense of who you are, that's the biggest thing that get's driven out of you in bootcamp is you're sense of self and that you are not an individual, but are instead "ONLY" apart of a team/unit which for war/battle is a good thing.
Being a command following drone and having alot of them at you're command and around helping you is a very good thing in battle..
Which on a personal level that can be destructive to self if you're not carefull and aware etc..
Once you get thru it all and used to things and all that i've had 3 step brothers several friends and my father all in various branches of the military and now mostly retired and all glad they did it.
Doesn't mean they don't curse bush often but that's a different thing all together, and one man considered an idiot or not shouldn't be why you do or don't join to me heh.

Anyway, good luck with figuring it all out ;d

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:33:06 am by LordVader »