Author Topic: Fat chicks don't go to college  (Read 10600 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Fat chicks don't go to college
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 12:18:56 am »
The phrase "man it up!" has become a joke at work. :)
You use Linux at your work still, don't you? :P
I use Windows for my primary OS, I don't have a choice there since I'm a writer and we all write in Word, but I do have a Slackware computer next to me that I use for a lot of stuff.

OOo supports MS Word formatting.

nice! now the last piece of the puzzle and an actual good word processor.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 02:12:36 pm »
The OpenOffice software is terrible.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 02:23:02 pm »
I like the OpenOffice software better than Microsoft Office, and I've used both significantly. I can't stand MS Office's annoyances...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 02:31:53 pm »
Have you used the publisher equivalent?  It's some of the most unstable Officey application I've ever used.  Objects on the page would randomly disappear and the program had to be manually killed several times while my team and I were working on a poster for our research topic.  All of them, including a huge open source/Linux proponent, commented on how trashy Open Office was.

Maybe it was an out of date version and we were all unaware of it?

What annoyances are you referring to?  I'd rather have things like clippy (which you can trivially turn off) and have the software work (most of the time... I'm not saying it's perfectly stable) than unstable software that doesn't have any of said "annoyances."

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 02:38:22 pm »
I've used OOo for over a year now, I don't even bother to steal Office anymore, it isn't worth it for what I do.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 03:27:55 pm »
Have you used the publisher equivalent?  It's some of the most unstable Officey application I've ever used.  Objects on the page would randomly disappear and the program had to be manually killed several times while my team and I were working on a poster for our research topic.  All of them, including a huge open source/Linux proponent, commented on how trashy Open Office was.

Maybe it was an out of date version and we were all unaware of it?

What annoyances are you referring to?  I'd rather have things like clippy (which you can trivially turn off) and have the software work (most of the time... I'm not saying it's perfectly stable) than unstable software that doesn't have any of said "annoyances."
I've never used the publisher thing, so I can't comment there.

I have a lot of problems with Word and Excel, but to name a few that really get me:
- Windowing is totally broken (it's a bad combination of MDI and non-MDI). Excel is worse, but Word annoys me too
- Copying files between Windows/Mac versions of Office often causes random crashes
- If you click in the wrong place on a "comment" (which we use a lot), it scrolls you to the top of the document
- The "undo" stack on Excel is threaded between the documents, so if you edit document 1, then document 2, and need to undo changes in document 1, you also have to undo your document 2 changes
- The "undo" stack on Excel is cleared when you save a file. So if you make a change and save it, then realize you screwed something up, you're 100% out of luck. You can't undo past the save so you've lost all hope of getting it back.
- The way copying/pasting on Excel is totally non-intuitive. I can't count how many times I copy text, type a header for the new text (such as "Top 10 attacks") and try to paste, only to find out I can't. This is because if you make any changes, your copy disappears. You also can't cut/paste special; you have to copy, paste-special, and delete the original.

I use Word and Excel every day at work, it's a necessary part of my job. And believe me, those few major things (and a whole bunch of little minor things) is a great way to make a good computer user (one who's used to the conventions that Word and Excel break) go totally insane.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 05:22:43 pm »
I've used OOo for over a year now, I don't even bother to steal Office anymore, it isn't worth it for what I do.

im sure microsoft is at a loss trying to comprehend how they could lose such a valuable customer.

oh wait u stole their software

criminal
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 05:23:12 pm »
Which version of Office are you guys using?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 06:41:23 pm »
I'm using Office 2003. It's the standard at work, I don't have a choice.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:33 pm »
Word is comfortable, so I use it for drafts, but everything looks better in LaTeX.  :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 08:31:38 pm »

I know you don't have a choice.  That's why I said "you guys." :)

That being said, maybe those things are fixed in 2007?  I say that purely in the interest of fairness.  I agree that those things would be pretty annoying.

Word is comfortable, so I use it for drafts, but everything looks better in LaTeX.  :P

Oh yeah, for sure.  LaTeX documents are beautiful. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 08:36:17 pm »

I know you don't have a choice.  That's why I said "you guys." :)

That being said, maybe those things are fixed in 2007?  I say that purely in the interest of fairness.  I agree that those things would be pretty annoying.
By "you guys" I thought you meant other people on the forum, so I was kinda confused. :P

From what I've heard on The Daily WTF, the majority of that stuff isn't fixed, but I've never personally used that version so I couldn't say.

To me, I just wish everything would work in this version the way you expect programs to work. Like when I double-click on a .doc file, I don't want all my other .doc files to un-minimize. I don't know how often I have to find a file, so I double-click one, close it, minimize the window, click the next one, close it, minimize the other window again, etc. Argh!

So yeah, I hate it. :)

Oh yeah, for sure.  LaTeX documents are beautiful. :)
That sounds sarcastic, but I don't think it is. I'd like to learn LaTeX at some point, it's one major Linuxy thing that I've never learned. :(

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 08:42:25 pm »
By "you guys" I thought you meant other people on the forum, so I was kinda confused. :P

From what I've heard on The Daily WTF, the majority of that stuff isn't fixed, but I've never personally used that version so I couldn't say.

To me, I just wish everything would work in this version the way you expect programs to work. Like when I double-click on a .doc file, I don't want all my other .doc files to un-minimize. I don't know how often I have to find a file, so I double-click one, close it, minimize the window, click the next one, close it, minimize the other window again, etc. Argh!

So yeah, I hate it. :)

Hehe, sorry on all accounts there! :P

That sounds sarcastic, but I don't think it is. I'd like to learn LaTeX at some point, it's one major Linuxy thing that I've never learned. :(

I didn't intend for it to be sarcastic.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 08:53:13 pm »
I didn't intend for it to be sarcastic.
I didn't really think so, it just sounded that way to me, for some reason. No worries :P

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 01:04:52 am »

im sure microsoft is at a loss trying to comprehend how they could lose such a valuable customer.

oh wait u stole their software

criminal
;)
My parents own 2 copies 2000 & 2003?