Author Topic: IIS gaining on Apache..  (Read 4825 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
IIS gaining on Apache..
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:32 pm »
http://apache.slashdot.org/apache/07/08/06/138220.shtml

Go IIS! After having to administer 3-4 IIS boxes, I can honestly say it's really easy to administer/manage. Much easier than Apache. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: IIS gaining on Apache..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:18:15 pm »
I personally prefer Apache, because I find it way easier to manage Linux than Windows, especially remotely.

But big deal, it's gained by like 2%. Wake me up when there's a big change :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 12:49:11 pm »
I personally prefer Apache, because I find it way easier to manage Linux than Windows, especially remotely.

But big deal, it's gained by like 2%. Wake me up when there's a big change :P

When there's millions of webservers out there, 2% is a pretty big number in terms of computers. =P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:57:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure if Mac OSX or Linux gained 2% of the market, everyone would go apeshit.

However, it's somehow unimpressive for IIS. Go figure.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 01:00:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure if Mac OSX or Linux gained 2% of the market, everyone would go apeshit.

Yes, all Linux and Mac people are idiots. Duh.

The difference from 31% to 33% is nothing compared to the distance from 4% to 6%. The numbers may be the same, but a 50% increase is much more impressive than a 5% increase.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 02:37:46 pm »

Yes, all Linux and Mac people are idiots. Duh.

The difference from 31% to 33% is nothing compared to the distance from 4% to 6%. The numbers may be the same, but a 50% increase is much more impressive than a 5% increase.

Calling 4% to 6% an achievement seems to be grabbing at straws to me, it may technically be a 50% gain but when you actually look at the numbers they're both equally impressive.

I hold Mac/Linux in the same position I hold IIS and Apache. They both have an uphill battle and they both are progressing at a slow rate. Recently however, IIS has shown a much more accelerated growth when compared to Mac OSX which has stagnated in growth (rougly a 1% over the course of a year if I remember correctly) and even more recently gone down in usage by half of a percent.

I'm sure if Apache were in the situation IIS is in, and Apache made these gains there would be much more fanfare then there is for IIS. It all boils down to the mindset that OSS=Good MS=Bad.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »
I don't think anybody would care if, for example, Firefox went from 26% to 28%. People care more when something is tiny, then any change is a big one.

It should also be noted that Microsoft has a marketing department and Apache doesn't, all Apache has is loyal fans. That's gotta count for something. :P