Author Topic: PS2 Modchip  (Read 3419 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
PS2 Modchip
« on: August 12, 2007, 07:15:31 pm »
Anyone have one?  And if you do, which one is it and how easy is it to install?

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
Re: PS2 Modchip
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:08:29 pm »
I did before my PS2 broke.  (<3 Trust for the new one)

I don't remember which one I got, but my dad did the work for me.  I'd imagine that if you know how to solder, and can follow a diagram, it'd be easy. :P

There are supposedly easy ones to install that don't require any work, but I don't know how good they are. (Link)

Another interesting thing to check out would be this hdloader.  Only bad thing is, it's not compatible with all games.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:21:27 pm »
Bleh.  Right now I'm using swap magic, but it's annoying and sometimes it freezes.  It'd be nice to be able to just stick my discs in and play.  On a side note, I'm awesome at soldering.  I also don't much care about voiding my warranty, since it's been up for almost 5 years :X

Thanks, though.  I guess I'll have to look myself :'(

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:52:36 pm »
Well, I don't think they make the modchip I used anymore, it was so long ago. :P

But, the best sites to get modchips are probably:
http://modchipstore.com
http://divineo.com
and maybe http://modchip.us (never really looked here)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 05:54:42 pm »
Bleh.  Right now I'm using swap magic, but it's annoying and sometimes it freezes.  It'd be nice to be able to just stick my discs in and play.  On a side note, I'm awesome at soldering.  I also don't much care about voiding my warranty, since it's been up for almost 5 years :X

Is swap magic fine if you don't use it very often? I was considering buying it in order to play custom guitar hero songs, but I don't think I would use it enough for buying/installing a mod chip to be worth it.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:21:33 pm »
We all just need to find a way to burn bad blocks and make Sony cry.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:55:05 pm »

Is swap magic fine if you don't use it very often? I was considering buying it in order to play custom guitar hero songs, but I don't think I would use it enough for buying/installing a mod chip to be worth it.
Swap Magic is great, it's just that it doesn't work so hot with some games (mostly burned imports).  I scratched my disc a bit too, which doesn't help, so sometimes it freezes instead of loading.  If you keep the disc clean and unscratched though, it'll last ages, and it's not too terribly inconvenient, especially if you buy a fliptop modded case (~$15-20).

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 02:14:38 am »
Swap Magic is great, it's just that it doesn't work so hot with some games (mostly burned imports).  I scratched my disc a bit too, which doesn't help, so sometimes it freezes instead of loading.  If you keep the disc clean and unscratched though, it'll last ages, and it's not too terribly inconvenient, especially if you buy a fliptop modded case (~$15-20).
Cool. How is installing the fliptop? I saw instructions for installing it that looked like they were written by a retarded six year old chinese kid. But I'm totally going to buy it when I can. I don't have to worry about imports, the only thing I really play is guitar hero, and the ability to play custom songs will be way fun, there are tons of them too... there's a whole comunity devoted to it.

And as far as the original topic goes... I've heard that the ps2 modchips are a bitch, with lots and lots of really tiny solder points. I have 0 soldering experience, so I wouldn't want to do that myself. But on the site wires linked to they have solderless mod chips... that would be way easier to me, and not terribly expensive for the convinience. And the installation manual is really well written and descriptive, with good pictures and such. Though the second site he linked to has swap magic + flip top for $25... *ponders*
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
Installing the fliptop is easypeasy.  All you have to do is pop the screw covers off, unscrew the case, take off the top half, and put the fliptop half on and screw it in.  Putting the screw covers back is optional.  The only downside is that it's a little louder than the pop out tray, but eh?