Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761888 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #1650 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16:10 pm »
What kind of drugs were the 'trafficking'?

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=6357689&nav=S6aK

RTFA! :P

Cocaine (40 years in prison for those fellas) and marijuana (10 years for them) were the drugs involved.

One word: pwned.

I don't want to.  How hard was it to summarize? ...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 11, 2007, 11:23:25 pm »
The men here are gentlemen not criminals.
...except for the ones that are, ya know, CRIMINALS ::)

And you said your school didn't have douches in it ::)
But seriously, 4 people dealing cocaine?...I seriously hope your school wises up and realizes that the honor code doesn't even work with fear inspired first graders, why would it work with free thinking college students?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:28:28 pm by CrAz3D »

trust

« Reply #1652 on: April 11, 2007, 11:49:48 pm »
The men here are gentlemen not criminals.
...except for the ones that are, ya know, CRIMINALS ::)

And you said your school didn't have douches in it ::)
But seriously, 4 people dealing cocaine?...I seriously hope your school wises up and realizes that the honor code doesn't even work with fear inspired first graders, why would it work with free thinking college students?

The honor code works because of the type of men that go here. It's definitely taken seriously and you'll get kicked out (by a court of your peers, not faculty) for violating it. How is them dealing cocaine that much worse than you drinking underage? People party, oh well. It's not like it's crack.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1653 on: April 12, 2007, 12:06:00 am »
The honor code works because of the type of men that go here. It's definitely taken seriously and you'll get kicked out (by a court of your peers, not faculty) for violating it. How is them dealing cocaine that much worse than you drinking underage? People party, oh well. It's not like it's crack.

You don't think that selling cocaine is more disgraceful than underage drinking?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:37 am »
The honor code works because of the type of men that go here.
...drug dealers?
"Honor among thieves" apply to drug dealers?  Most drug dealers I've met are just assholes in general.

And I agree with Sidoh re: cocaine dealing & underage drinking WAY not being the same.

trust

« Reply #1655 on: April 12, 2007, 08:17:52 am »
You don't think that selling cocaine is more disgraceful than underage drinking?

I do, but I don't want the law at H-SC. Honestly, having undercover agents put on campus is more or less a direct violation of the honor code which Sydney preaches. It's a contradiction of the moral and civil liberties on which it was founded. (It was founded because the only other school in the colony of Virginia was William & Mary which was a Royal (public) school and had to teach a Royal curriculum) This should have been handled in student court if anything.

And an update: Apparently one of the guys was just going to go down for moonshine until the undercover agent bought weed from him.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:41:25 am by OG Trust »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 12, 2007, 09:34:03 am »
...student courts can't prosecute like real ones can.  Also, they can't collect evidence like the real justice system can.
And obviously there was reason to suspect criminal activity so they went about the best means in which to discover the activity and bring those in violation of the law to justice

trust

« Reply #1657 on: April 12, 2007, 10:13:25 am »
Anyway, the Richmond Times published an article (the other 5 on Google News are just the same AP article) and listed that 7 other H-SC students were arrested for possession and 3 Longwood students were.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350694045&path=!news&s=1045855934842

It also says:
Officers of the Drug Enforcement Administration, Farmville Police Department, Prince Edward County Sheriff's Office, Virginia State Police and the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control made the arrests.

Since it mentions the Farmville Police Department and the VA Dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control, I wonder if there's going to be pressure on them to crack down on law infractions.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 12, 2007, 11:03:25 am »
I do, but I don't want the law at H-SC.

If federal agencies come knocking and say "cooperate or stay out of our way" there is absolutely nothing you can do. Sorry.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 12, 2007, 02:00:38 pm »
YAY!  My friend is graduating basic tomorrow morning @ 9am EST!
Then he is off to ABT?  Advanced Basic Training for 9-13 weeks.  Then stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso, TX late July and returning to school this fall, COOL!

...PLUS, he knows how to kill people now!

trust

« Reply #1660 on: April 12, 2007, 03:08:48 pm »

If federal agencies come knocking and say "cooperate or stay out of our way" there is absolutely nothing you can do. Sorry.

Still. The school turns a blind eye to so much illegal stuff, but these kids get busted for small time dealing. They should have gone after whoever is supplying them or something, not fuck up college kids lives forever.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #1661 on: April 12, 2007, 03:23:54 pm »
I do, but I don't want the law at H-SC. Honestly, having undercover agents put on campus is more or less a direct violation of the honor code which Sydney preaches. It's a contradiction of the moral and civil liberties on which it was founded. (It was founded because the only other school in the colony of Virginia was William & Mary which was a Royal (public) school and had to teach a Royal curriculum) This should have been handled in student court if anything.

And an update: Apparently one of the guys was just going to go down for moonshine until the undercover agent bought weed from him.

I agree that it sucks, but the law is (and should be) above your university's "honor code."

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 12, 2007, 05:11:14 pm »
Still. The school turns a blind eye to so much illegal stuff, but these kids get busted for small time dealing. They should have gone after whoever is supplying them or something, not fuck up college kids lives forever.
I have a solution! If they're convicted, you could ask Bush for a pardon!  ::)

Seriously, though, the honor code needs to be modified if it allows for so much disrespect toward laws.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:12:50 pm by dark_drake »
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 12, 2007, 05:12:58 pm »

agreed to an extent.
They should go for bigger fish, like suppliers to the kids & what not.

...but on the other hand, the colleges kids fucked up their own damned life forever

trust

« Reply #1664 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:20 pm »
I hate to say this but I think it's relevant. H-SC is an environment with a lot of very privileged people, and with such an abundance of money floating around it's not hard to imagine drugs being readily available. While drugs are bad, these kids are using the drugs at parties or whatever on themselves. They aren't out running prostitution rings, smuggling the drugs in a mules ass across the border, or participating in drive by shootings. And, honestly, the drugs aren't really hard drugs. It's not like they're running a meth lab in the frat house. There are hookers walking around campus with crack pipes. These are kids that had a future, were getting an education - sure maybe they liked to party or make a few extra dollars but in the big scheme of things they really were not hurting anybody. I'm mad that tax dollars went towards something so, essentially, trivial. 

14 more kids will fill their place and whoever is producing it is still in business. it's basic economics, a money-minded kid will fill the void and supply it.

I have a solution! If they're convicted, you could ask Bush for a pardon!  ::)

Seriously, though, the honor code needs to be modified if it allows for so much disrespect toward laws.

The honor code protects the students and maintains respect for the brotherhood. There's no mention in it of drug use or alcohol use. It's to not lie cheat or steal, and it is upheld to the highest degree. It's something that is rivaled by many institutions.