Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761923 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #2610 on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:44 am »
Protecting liberties?  By trampling over liberties?

Should be an interesting paper ;)
Holy crap, I agre with CrAz3d. Afk, suicide...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: September 26, 2007, 10:15:52 am »
Protecting liberties?  By trampling over liberties?

Should be an interesting paper ;)
Holy crap, I agre with CrAz3d. Afk, suicide...
:D

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #2612 on: September 26, 2007, 01:48:23 pm »
Quote from: Trust
I don't agree with the statement "protecting liberties by trampling liberties." I, probably because I'm not a terrorist, have never had my rights trampled by the Patriot Act.

[cough] police state [/cough]

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2613 on: September 26, 2007, 01:55:08 pm »
Yep, I agree with everyone else.  No matter how you look at it, the patriot act is a violation of the liberties we're supposed to have...

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #2614 on: September 26, 2007, 02:04:58 pm »
Lincoln unconstitutionally suspended Habeas Corpus, and I don't see anyone complaining; sometimes, the end justifies the means.

Of course, when the entire country is lied to about the end, the means loses its justification.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: September 26, 2007, 02:26:15 pm »
Lincoln unconstitutionally suspended Habeas Corpus, and I don't see anyone complaining; sometimes, the end justifies the means.

Of course, when the entire country is lied to about the end, the means loses its justification.

Quote from: U.S. Constitution Article 1, Section 9
"The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."
1) You can suspend it Constitutionally, so, it's cool.
2) The Constitution says that the Writ of Habeas Corpus is a PRIVILEGE, not a right/liberty.

But still, just because it's in the Constitution that we can suspend the writ I don't think we should.

Can we get all of this split, please?

trust

« Reply #2616 on: September 26, 2007, 02:35:26 pm »
Just so we're on the same page, the federal government is given nearly unlimited power in times of emergency by the constitution. The way I see it no law abiding citizens rights will be violated unjustly, and if some terrorist's home is searched without a warrant because they plan to bomb something then I'm all for their right to be violated if it's saving hundreds of law abiding American citizens lives. (i.e. Brooklyn Bridge attempted bombing)

In addition with that the 2006 revision of the Patriot Act puts into effect multiple safeguards against abuse, so I don't see the problem. I'll post the paper and own you all if you want.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: September 26, 2007, 02:37:35 pm »
Just so we're on the same page, the federal government is given nearly unlimited power in times of emergency by the constitution. The way I see it no law abiding citizens rights will be violated unjustly, and if some terrorist's home is searched without a warrant because they plan to bomb something then I'm all for their right to be violated if it's saving hundreds of law abiding American citizens lives. (i.e. Brooklyn Bridge attempted bombing)

In addition with that the 2006 revision of the Patriot Act puts into effect multiple safeguards against abuse, so I don't see the problem. I'll post the paper and own you all if you want.
Terrorism isn't an emergency.  It is a continuing possibility of damage, but so is cancer, but an emergency posses an immediate and definite threat.

trust

« Reply #2618 on: September 26, 2007, 02:44:19 pm »

Terrorism isn't an emergency.  It is a continuing possibility of damage, but so is cancer, but an emergency posses an immediate and definite threat.

I shouldn't have used emergency, I should have used "to protect the life and liberty of citizens and the state of the union"

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: September 26, 2007, 03:05:52 pm »
On a note unrelated to the patriot act, I have a job! This is going to be my first real job. I'm going to be working in receiving at a retail store, and will be getting $8.25-8.50/hr to start, which is more than most people who are already working there and have been for years.... but my aunt is the store manager so I totally win. Time to start saving for a car!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: September 26, 2007, 05:01:13 pm »

I shouldn't have used emergency, I should have used "to protect the life and liberty of citizens and the state of the union"
So the government should be able to ignore certain parts of the Constitution in the name of "protecting life" (by intruding on liberty you are NOT protecting liberty)?

Quote from: John Marshal in Marbury v. Madison
To what purpose are powers limited, and to what purpose is that limitation committed to writing, if these limits may, at any time, be passed by those intended to be restrained? The distinction between a government with limited and unlimited powers is abolished, if those limits do not confine the persons on whom they are imposed, and if acts prohibited and acts allowed, are of equal obligation.

The constitution is either a superior, paramount law, unchangeable by ordinary means, or it is on a level with ordinary legislative acts, and, like other acts, is alterable when the legislature shall please to alter it.

Yeah, I think I just pwn'd you hardcore ;).
I'll be home in about 2 hours, then we can chat about your woman dilema...unless I go to the gym, which seems rather probable right now

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: September 26, 2007, 08:22:43 pm »
Last I checked, people who call other Americans "yank[ee]s" were part of the Confederacy.  Why don't you make up your mind already?  And the USAPATRIOT Act is a load of bull.  It's basic structure is:
Page 1 - 500: random bull about America being great
Page 501: "The government can do whatever the fuck it wants"
Page 502-1000: more random bull about America being great

It got signed into law because it was too long and none of the congressmen actually READ the damned thing.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:45 pm »
On a note unrelated to the patriot act, I have a job! This is going to be my first real job. I'm going to be working in receiving at a retail store, and will be getting $8.25-8.50/hr to start, which is more than most people who are already working there and have been for years.... but my aunt is the store manager so I totally win. Time to start saving for a car!

:D! That's elite as hell. :D
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: September 26, 2007, 08:37:49 pm »
How old am you?

Receiving?  Like trucks that come in?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: September 26, 2007, 08:41:05 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20999950/
Score 1 for justice!!!!!!!!!!!!!