Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1761969 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8640 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:33 am »
Hmm, the BKs I went to in the US didn't have veggie burgers (they had triple whoppers in that spot on the menu.. goes to show), but in Canada Burger King's veggie burgers are vegan (as are their fries and onion rings, allegedly).

Personally, my favourite burger replacement, by far, is a marinated portabello mushroom grilled on the bbq. I know Sidoh will disagree with that one, though. :D

Veggie burgers aren't on the menu but they do have them at fast food joints, not that I would necessarily trust them/it. You have to ask, but lots of fast food restaurants in the US don't have explicit vegetarian dishes written on the menu.
Are you talking about an actual veggie patty, or just a burger with no patty?

Most of the fast food places here have veggie burgers on the menu, but some of them contain cheese/eggs and others have milk/egg in their buns. KFC, for example, has a veggie patty that's vegan and actually pretty good, but their bun isn't vegan so you have to get it on a wrap. Also, they put mayo on it by default.

I'd be willing to try it, actually.  While I find the taste of some mushrooms objectionable (pizza mushrooms, for example), I've been 'forced' to try dishes with mushroom in it recently, and some of it is actually surprisingly tasty.

I still really hate fish, eggs, raw onions and excessive garlic, but I think most of my food phobias have been lifted by trying them in a proper setting.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: January 19, 2010, 10:52:35 am »
mushrooms.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8642 on: January 19, 2010, 12:13:40 pm »
Are you talking about an actual veggie patty, or just a burger with no patty?

Most of the fast food places here have veggie burgers on the menu, but some of them contain cheese/eggs and others have milk/egg in their buns. KFC, for example, has a veggie patty that's vegan and actually pretty good, but their bun isn't vegan so you have to get it on a wrap. Also, they put mayo on it by default.

I'm talking about a veggie patty. I would break a fast food worker's head off if I paid for bread and lettuce and wanted a burger.

Ah, no that's not the case in the US. Every place has stuff not on the menu, and as a vegetarian we get the shaft like that. :\ Vegans are an even harder cuisine for which to find food.
Well, I solve the problem by not going for fast food, ever. It's crap.

The closest thing I eat is Subway and Quiznos, but even then it's only when I'm on vacation.

As for normal restaurants, any good restaurant (for my definition of good) has selections for people with food allergies (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc). Places that don't, suck.

But like you said, any restaurant (not counting fast food or other crap places) will have something, even if it isn't on the menu. I've had a lot of luck with just asking.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: January 19, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »
... tastefully kept behind closed doors!

tasty is right.  YUM.

we forgot to mention.. Pho tai means dog soup. Still liked it? ;D

It was DELICIOUSSSS.
no pho tai is a beef noodle soup. I am vietnamese I would know

I think you completely missed the sarcasm in my post. I'm not as much of an ignorant asshole as it must seem, I'm sure plenty of the members here who have personally met me can vouch.

On the current topic: my main problem with people's choice of eating vegitarian or vegan is that they go about it in an unhealthy way. Many people fail to suplement their diet and don't get the proper nutriants from their food choices to stay healthy.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8644 on: January 19, 2010, 02:13:27 pm »
On the current topic: my main problem with people's choice of eating vegitarian or vegan is that they go about it in an unhealthy way. Many people fail to suplement their diet and don't get the proper nutriants from their food choices to stay healthy.
I don't eat any kind of supplements, but I'm normally cognizant about which nutrients I need and which ones I'm missing.

I agree, though, that a lot of people aren't. But that goes for omnivores as much as veg'ns, though. Most people I know have *terrible* eating habits. The amount of empty crap and preservatives/additives in every day food is sickening. At least when I became vegan, I started reading packages and altering my eating habits to all-natural foods.

There's actually a great book about the situation called <a href='http://www.amazon.ca/Defense-Food-Michael-Pollan/dp/1594201455'>In Defense of Food</a> by Michael Pollan. His argument isn't that everybody should be vegans, because he isn't, but that you should strive to eat as much food as possible that looks like food. Food that comes from the ground/nature, not from boxes. If food has to advertise "low fat" or "we're healthy!", it probably isn't. I totally agree with him -- I've only read the first few pages of the book, but I love it.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: January 19, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »
Well, I solve the problem by not going for fast food, ever. It's crap.

The closest thing I eat is Subway and Quiznos, but even then it's only when I'm on vacation.

As for normal restaurants, any good restaurant (for my definition of good) has selections for people with food allergies (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc). Places that don't, suck.

But like you said, any restaurant (not counting fast food or other crap places) will have something, even if it isn't on the menu. I've had a lot of luck with just asking.
Fast food has its role. Try being a college student studying at midnight.. not very many options for food at that time.

Subway and Quiznos are quite good. A healthy way to get your vegetables in. I love subs.

Ah, you and I are lucky being on this side of the Atlantic. Almost every other "civilized" (most of Europe and Asia) country (select high-vegetarian countries excluded, e.g. India) you can't really live as a vegetarian if you go out ever. One of the reasons that I wouldn't want to travel very long.

---

Eating healthy as a vegan or vegetarian isn't difficult. You just have to actually keep track/plan out where your sources of protein are coming from. The only supplement I use is a protein powder that helps when I work out. Other than that I'm fairly healthy without needing outside assistance.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: January 19, 2010, 04:59:58 pm »
New 26" monitor.... SO much desktop space

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8647 on: January 19, 2010, 05:10:24 pm »
Fast food has its role. Try being a college student studying at midnight.. not very many options for food at that time.
Bah, it's crap and shouldn't be touched. By anyone. Ever.

Subway and Quiznos are quite good. A healthy way to get your vegetables in. I love subs.
They aren't especially healthy. There's a lot of sugar in their bread and preservatives in their vegetables. Part of having cheap and fast food means compromising the healthiness of said food. Also, because they're more or less empty of a lot of the nutrients you need, I always find myself hungry after eating subs, and I end up snacking on crap.

Eating healthy as a vegan or vegetarian isn't difficult. You just have to actually keep track/plan out where your sources of protein are coming from. The only supplement I use is a protein powder that helps when I work out. Other than that I'm fairly healthy without needing outside assistance.
I don't normally think of getting protein specifically, and I definitely don't plan it, but I'm aware of it as part of the whole.

Also, the average human gets way more protein than they need (or than is healthy).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:12:13 pm by iago »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: January 20, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »
Bah, it's crap and shouldn't be touched. By anyone. Ever.
It's delicious and cheap. Part of why most people fail at being vegetarian or being vegan is they think they have to be nazis. And that's part of why people hate eating with vegetarians/vegans. It seems like you would throw a fit with your friends if they all wanted to get fast food.

They aren't especially healthy. There's a lot of sugar in their bread and preservatives in their vegetables. Part of having cheap and fast food means compromising the healthiness of said food. Also, because they're more or less empty of a lot of the nutrients you need, I always find myself hungry after eating subs, and I end up snacking on crap.
As it is, you're cutting out hundreds of calories and several grams of fat from not eating meat. A little extra sugar and things isn't an awful thing. Most likely you're just burning it off by being alive.

I don't normally think of getting protein specifically, and I definitely don't plan it, but I'm aware of it as part of the whole.

Also, the average human gets way more protein than they need (or than is healthy).
There are specific types of proteins that different nuts/legumes offer and they're all vital (some moreso than others) but most vegetarians/vegans aren't aware of it. Yes, protein is important as a whole, but it's crucial, especially in adolescence, to get all the protein necessary.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: January 20, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »

My attitude is that I never get enough... :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8650 on: January 20, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »
It's delicious and cheap. Part of why most people fail at being vegetarian or being vegan is they think they have to be nazis. And that's part of why people hate eating with vegetarians/vegans. It seems like you would throw a fit with your friends if they all wanted to get fast food.
You'd be surprised. :P I'll generally go anywhere, but there's some places I won't go because they have nothing on the menu. Sometimes, though, I'll just eat first and come hang out, or smuggle in granola bars (which aren't great for you either), or something like that.

One nice thing about being grown up, though, is that fast food generally means picking it up on the way somewhere. So a lot of times when people come over, they'll pick up fast food and eat at my place (or wherever we're going). Or I'll pick up something and eat it at my friend's place. Unless it's a special occasion, we don't normally go for random food.

My attitude is that I never get enough... :P
Protein, especially from animals, is linked to all kinds of diseases (from brain stuff to heart disease to a bunch of types of cancer). In small amounts, it's required and beneficial, but in the amount eaten by the average American/Canadian, it's dangerously unhealthy.

I'm sure I've posted that before. :)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:27 pm »
Protein, especially from animals, is linked to all kinds of diseases (from brain stuff to heart disease to a bunch of types of cancer). In small amounts, it's required and beneficial, but in the amount eaten by the average American/Canadian, it's dangerously unhealthy.

Well, I consume more whey protein than animal protein, so I'm good to go?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8652 on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:33 pm »

Whey = milk = animal. Sorry. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8653 on: January 20, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »

Whey = milk = animal = DELICIOUS YUUUUUUUUMMMMM

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8654 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »

Whey = milk = animal = DELICIOUS YUUUUUUUUMMMMM
That wasn't the point, though! :P