Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762113 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #8715 on: January 30, 2010, 01:46:04 am »
Nothing like running early in the morning to wake you up... haha. Man, I'm going to crash sometime today.
I prefer coffee.
Yeah, I needed some of that after to make it through class in the morning lol.

Are you allowed to have caffeine at USNA? I don't think you can in OCS.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: January 30, 2010, 07:23:24 am »
Eh, just pre-registered for Katsucon 16, which is February 12th.  Eh, not cosplaying.

So far 16 people from the Anime Club I founded at my alma mater are going, it'll be great to see all my friends in the club still in college and see all the new members (many of which are female cosplayers ^^).  If there's one legacy I left at my alma mater, it's a thriving, well run Anime Club with a solid, capable leadership that knows the importance of/ how to establish a reliable line of succession.
Katsucon.....meh.  Go to Otakon again, and don't pick up your sister this time.  And charge your phone.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: January 30, 2010, 09:10:38 am »
Nothing like running early in the morning to wake you up... haha. Man, I'm going to crash sometime today.
I prefer coffee.
Yeah, I needed some of that after to make it through class in the morning lol.

Are you allowed to have caffeine at USNA? I don't think you can in OCS.
Yeah, its not THAT strict here. Even freshmen can :P

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
The problem isn't being "snowed in", necessarily -- at least around here, it comes down to when the province (or state :P) decides that the highways are too unsafe (due to visibility, snowdrifts, etc) to drive on, and shuts them down until it gets safer.
I've never encountered a situation, regardless of how bad a blizzard it's been, where the roads have been shut down completely. I don't know if they do that in Minnesota unless it was wtfridiculous. That being said,I have postponed driving several hours and let a foot+ (that's 30cm to you Canucks) snow accumulate on my car because the blizzard was too bad to drive through.

But trust is in VA. I don't think they get bad weather like this much, if ever. Heh.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8719 on: January 31, 2010, 03:58:07 am »
I-90/I-94 was closed last year. I can't remember if it was snow-related.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: January 31, 2010, 10:12:56 am »
The problem isn't being "snowed in", necessarily -- at least around here, it comes down to when the province (or state :P) decides that the highways are too unsafe (due to visibility, snowdrifts, etc) to drive on, and shuts them down until it gets safer.
I've never encountered a situation, regardless of how bad a blizzard it's been, where the roads have been shut down completely. I don't know if they do that in Minnesota unless it was wtfridiculous. That being said,I have postponed driving several hours and let a foot+ (that's 30cm to you Canucks) snow accumulate on my car because the blizzard was too bad to drive through.

But trust is in VA. I don't think they get bad weather like this much, if ever. Heh.

The roads weren't shut down, but she has a sports car that isn't fit for driving in snow.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: January 31, 2010, 02:15:41 pm »
The roads weren't shut down, but she has a sports car that isn't fit for driving in snow.
No such thing. No car is better than any other car for driving in snow, really. Every car is susceptible to sliding on the same patch of ice, to fishtailing because of too sharp+quick a turn, etc. Now you could say she's inexperienced in driving in snow, and that would be perfectly valid.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8722 on: January 31, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »
No such thing. No car is better than any other car for driving in snow, really.

that's so much bs.  of course you can lose control in just about any car.  that doesn't mean some cars aren't better suited for snow-driving than others.  you try driving up a steep snow-packed hill in a rice rocket and get back to me.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: January 31, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
No such thing. No car is better than any other car for driving in snow, really.

that's so much bs.  of course you can lose control in just about any car.  that doesn't mean some cars aren't better suited for snow-driving than others.  you try driving up a steep snow-packed hill in a rice rocket and get back to me.
+1. My father's off-road jeep with 35-inch tires and huge treads certainly has more traction in snow than my mother's little Nissan.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: January 31, 2010, 03:34:40 pm »
The technology in the car matters more than what kind of car it is (sport car, SUV, sedan, etc.). Certain technologies, such as AWD or ABS, are what make more of a difference in most conditions than if your car is gigantic or not. On top of the technology, knowing how to react if something happens is invariably more useful than parking yourself in an SUV and going "WOO I DRIVE SUV NOTHING GON HAPPEN TO ME" like countless people I've seen end up in ditches. Obviously there are certain situations where having a larger car helps, but I doubt Trust's date was off-roading in the mountains. :P

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8725 on: January 31, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »
No such thing. No car is better than any other car for driving in snow, really. Every car is susceptible to sliding on the same patch of ice, to fishtailing because of too sharp+quick a turn, etc. Now you could say she's inexperienced in driving in snow, and that would be perfectly valid.

False statement is false.  I used to have to be extremely careful in the rain ( not quite snow, but the same idea ) when I had my Mustang GT - on the flip side, I don't have to be in my Malibu ( do in my Ram though :> ).  The same thing applies for the snow.  2WD trucks without anything in the bed have no weight on the rear axle, sports cars can be extremely touchy.  Not to mention, sports cars generally sit lower than a regular compact / luxury car and it's no fun trying to plow through 2ft of snow in a car that sits 6" off the ground.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8726 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
The technology in the car matters more than what kind of car it is (sport car, SUV, sedan, etc.). Certain technologies, such as AWD or ABS, are what make more of a difference in most conditions than if your car is gigantic or not. On top of the technology, knowing how to react if something happens is invariably more useful than parking yourself in an SUV and going "WOO I DRIVE SUV NOTHING GON HAPPEN TO ME" like countless people I've seen end up in ditches. Obviously there are certain situations where having a larger car helps, but I doubt Trust's date was off-roading in the mountains. :P

look, i know that.  it doesn't matter how good a driver you are.  if you try to drive up a snow-packed 30 degree slope with a lowered car that doesn't have awd, you're fucked.  you're not going to get up that hill.

you said "no car is better than any other car for driving in snow", which is what i was responding to.  it's completely false.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #8727 on: January 31, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »
Yup, when I had a Mustang GT, similar to Furious, the rear end was so light combined with it being rear wheel drive that whenever I was on a slick surface at all I had to be slow on the gas otherwise my tires would just spin. It was a manual car which also didn't make that process any more forgiving.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8728 on: January 31, 2010, 06:21:32 pm »
Yup, when I had a Mustang GT, similar to Furious, the rear end was so light combined with it being rear wheel drive that whenever I was on a slick surface at all I had to be slow on the gas otherwise my tires would just spin. It was a manual car which also didn't make that process any more forgiving.

Yerp.  Had a manual foxbody, 3.73s with some bolt-ons, shit was fun :(
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8729 on: January 31, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
look, i know that.  it doesn't matter how good a driver you are.  if you try to drive up a snow-packed 30 degree slope with a lowered car that doesn't have awd, you're fucked.  you're not going to get up that hill.

you said "no car is better than any other car for driving in snow", which is what i was responding to.  it's completely false.
I was talking about a general driving scenario, but I didn't word it as such. I think you'd agree with me that most people won't find themselves driving in that kind of incline, but may find themselves driving in average terrain (some incline changes, but nothing drastic).

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed