Author Topic: Let's hear it!  (Read 1762125 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's hear it!
« Reply #690 on: August 20, 2006, 02:22:54 pm »
Yep. Basically first year of college too, since I have 6 AP classes, and since AP is supposed to be a freshmen college level course...
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #691 on: August 20, 2006, 03:39:23 pm »
Actually, my IB Counselor said that although AP Courses are supposed to have the same level of complexity as entry level college courses, they are taught at a slower pace and are easier to get through than a real college course. It varies from teacher to teacher though.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 20, 2006, 04:14:57 pm »
Why do you have to keep sharp on English and not any of the other subjects? If students were able to customize their own summer reading then they would take their motivation and fly with it. By customize, I mean be able to read computer books and stuff like that if you wanted to. A lot more learning would be done.

Computer books generally aren't very good learning tools for english.  I'm not saying they're worthless compared to books intended to improve english dialect, but I am saying they're nearly always inferior...

My point was why do you have to keep sharp on English and not any of the other subjects? Not "can we keep sharp on English by reading computer books."

School starts on Sept. 6th for me. (Finally mustered the courage to go look.)

Mmm... and I still haven't started my summer reading... someone please motivate me...

If anyone else hasn't finished their summer reading yet, maybe we can have a contest to see who finishes first =p

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 20, 2006, 04:19:51 pm »
Actually, my IB Counselor said that although AP Courses are supposed to have the same level of complexity as entry level college courses, they are taught at a slower pace and are easier to get through than a real college course. It varies from teacher to teacher though.

..and from college to college.  Though in my experience, I'd agree.  Not necessarily because the material is so much harder in university, but because of the way it is presented; in university you're made to do a lot more work "on your own," while in high-school (even in AP classes) things are more "spoonfed" to you.

In high school, I never really needed to do much more than attend class and pay attention in class.  In university, it became necessary to do a lot of independent reading.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:33:38 pm by Rule »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #694 on: August 20, 2006, 05:18:35 pm »
My point was why do you have to keep sharp on English and not any of the other subjects? Not "can we keep sharp on English by reading computer books."

Because, unfortunately, it's the most universally useful subject, regardless of its uselessness in comparison to things like mathematics and physics. ;\

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #695 on: August 21, 2006, 12:06:37 am »
Yep. Basically first year of college too, since I have 6 AP classes, and since AP is supposed to be a freshmen college level course...

GJ on taking 6 AP classes. Its nice to see people work hard for absolutely nothing, since I suspect you'll either do poorly on the tests or get credit for a class that doesn't really matter because it wasn't needed for a real degree* anyhow.

*real degree being something in one of the sciences, if you go for the degree in underwater basket weaving then they all might be all that path.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 21, 2006, 12:14:31 am »
GJ on taking 6 AP classes. Its nice to see people work hard for absolutely nothing, since I suspect you'll either do poorly on the tests or get credit for a class that doesn't really matter because it wasn't needed for a real degree* anyhow.

Good job on being a complete asshole. Seriously.

I'd rather get a 3 and a B in an AP class than have an A in your average run of the norm class. I don't care if it'll screw me out of going to college because I'll have a ~3.5 GPA, I'd rather actually learn something than be stuck in your run-of-the-mill class full of your average retards that don't give a shit about their lives. I don't want to get to know the kid who's gonna bag my groceries or flip my burgers.

And by the way, I got a C in my AP World History class (I didn't pay attention or 'nothin, and my state testing reports show it, lol I think I scored ~45% on post-world war 1 information, and 60% on the industrial revolution category (still got proficient according to state standards, and it was my lowest score)), and I managed to get a 3 on the test. And since 4 of my AP tests this year aren't history related (which I hate) I assume I'll do good/better than I did. :)

And I am sure Calculus and Literature will count for something, as will a foreign language (since I'm required to have one to get out?) and I require an art elective to get out of high school, and making it AP is even better. That leaves two: biology (a science) (and I have AP Chemistry / AP Physics next year) and US History.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:19:51 am by Newby »
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #697 on: August 21, 2006, 12:33:23 am »

*real degree being something in one of the sciences, if you go for the degree in underwater basket weaving then they all might be all that path.

Was the point of that?  To belittle him after he posted his schedule containing all AP classes?  I don't interpret his post as smug, condescending or rude, so what's the point of responding in the unnecessary asshole tone you did?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:26:57 am by Sidoh »

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #698 on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:05 pm »

Because, unfortunately, it's the most universally useful subject, regardless of its uselessness in comparison to things like mathematics and physics. ;\

Many people and I would tend to disagree. I don't feel like arguing this, but I doubt you can say that language is definitively the most useful subject.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 21, 2006, 05:18:43 pm »
Many people and I would tend to disagree. I don't feel like arguing this, but I doubt you can say that language is definitively the most useful subject.

I am sure an error in a report you submit to your boss with a blatant error like that would probably get you in trouble. It is nice to be skilled in the English language, so you can word your thoughts in a way that can make certain situations appear favorable to you.
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #700 on: August 21, 2006, 06:05:15 pm »

I said universally useful for a reason.  Most people don't pursue careers where requiring four years of calculus and physics is a necessity.  I am not saying that English most likely to lead in a breakthrough in the fundamental understanding in the universe, but I am saying it or some other form of language is required to communicate the steps that led to the breakthrough.

English is required for every field that you can enter, so requiring a high level of competence in the subject is a good idea.  Like I said, in the reference frame of the entire education community.  Every student needs a solid background in a form of communication... English is obviously the best choice in America.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 06:17:52 pm by Sidoh »

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #701 on: August 22, 2006, 11:50:49 am »
Good job on being a complete asshole. Seriously.

I'd rather get a 3 and a B in an AP class than have an A in your average run of the norm class. I don't care if it'll screw me out of going to college because I'll have a ~3.5 GPA, I'd rather actually learn something than be stuck in your run-of-the-mill class full of your average retards that don't give a shit about their lives. I don't want to get to know the kid who's gonna bag my groceries or flip my burgers.

And by the way, I got a C in my AP World History class (I didn't pay attention or 'nothin, and my state testing reports show it, lol I think I scored ~45% on post-world war 1 information, and 60% on the industrial revolution category (still got proficient according to state standards, and it was my lowest score)), and I managed to get a 3 on the test. And since 4 of my AP tests this year aren't history related (which I hate) I assume I'll do good/better than I did. :)

And I am sure Calculus and Literature will count for something, as will a foreign language (since I'm required to have one to get out?) and I require an art elective to get out of high school, and making it AP is even better. That leaves two: biology (a science) (and I have AP Chemistry / AP Physics next year) and US History.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off being super rude but theres a lot of people here who try to sound like they're hot shit because they took AP classes in high school. Like my English class almost half of them took the AP exam, and theres lots of talk about people taking AP chemistry. Yet these people are all in my classes and some of them claim they didn't take the AP exam for the class. Its sorta like good job dumbass(not directed at newby) but I can assure you if they had taken the class and actually learned something they wouldn't pass up the exam or the chance to skip over these classes. So basically its a lot of people taking AP classes because they think it makes them sound smart and then they get a 2 or less on the exam and look like a complete dumbass. I understand that there are exceptions to this like my AP Computer Science class where the teacher didn't actually teach or make us doing any coursework or anything of the sort, but I doubt that is happening in all of these cases.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

trust

« Reply #702 on: August 22, 2006, 01:10:05 pm »

I am sure an error in a report you submit to your boss with a blatant error like that would probably get you in trouble. It is nice to be skilled in the English language, so you can word your thoughts in a way that can make certain situations appear favorable to you.

What's the error?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #703 on: August 22, 2006, 04:09:52 pm »
What's the error?

I actually just wondering the same thing after reading that again, lol.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 22, 2006, 05:22:11 pm »

What's the error?

I mis-read what he had written. I thought he tried to spell "definitely" but fucked up. Heh. My mistake. :(

zorm: I am taking the classes because honors classes and college prep classes, quite frankly, are boring as fuck. I also plan to try to get credit out of the classes at the very least. :)
- Newby