Author Topic: My career/your career  (Read 8415 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
My career/your career
« on: February 05, 2006, 07:27:43 pm »
I was wondering what everbody was thinking about doing after they graduate from HS/college? I was thinking of either AI or chemistry, what do you guys think? Anyone know anything bout the field of chemistry?
What are you going to do for a living?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: My career/your career
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 07:33:33 pm »
I think (Almost positive) that I am going into Computer Science.   Going to Rolla (I think) next year for CS. soo... yeah. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 08:06:43 pm »
I'm going to do something with computers (or if I somehow become orgasmically good at lacrosse, lacrosse) and I'm going to major in business with a minor in computer science. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:38:34 pm »
My two main intrests are cars/bikes and computers. Maybe I'll incorporate both and do that? Not sure.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:49:52 pm »
I'm going for a job interview tomorrow.  So we'll see.

I was wondering what everbody was thinking about doing after they graduate from HS/college? I was thinking of either AI or chemistry, what do you guys think? Anyone know anything bout the field of chemistry?
I strongly recommend against AI for you, since you don't seem (at least to me) like a math-oriented person, and that's what AI really is.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:22:43 pm »
I want to get into game design, BC here I come!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 09:25:38 pm »
I'm going to do something with computers (or if I somehow become orgasmically good at lacrosse, lacrosse) and I'm going to major in business with a minor in computer science. :)
Exact opposite as me!!  Computer Science major, Business Minor!! :)
And all winds that liven

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 09:26:18 pm »

I strongly recommend against AI for you, since you don't seem (at least to me) like a math-oriented person, and that's what AI really is.

I'm more interested in chemistry, and I know it involves alot of math but I can handle math.

trust

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 09:30:32 pm »

Professional Lacrosse players only make between $6,800 and $23,000 a year. That's why all of the good teams are also top notch educational institutions, lacrosse players need brains not just brawn. :P

I want to go into either law or business, but right now I'm pretty sure it will be law. Then I definitely want to get into politics (Congress, Govenor maybe? And I'd LOVE to be President.)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 09:43:14 pm »

Professional Lacrosse players only make between $6,800 and $23,000 a year. That's why all of the good teams are also top notch educational institutions, lacrosse players need brains not just brawn. :P

I want to go into either law or business, but right now I'm pretty sure it will be law. Then I definitely want to get into politics (Congress, Govenor maybe? And I'd LOVE to be President.)
/Dies
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 09:49:27 pm »
Hopefully a double major in Physics/Engineering w/ a minor in Math.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 10:02:30 pm »
Major in Physics, minoring in Computer Science, getting a job at whatever university I go to, eventually becoming a professor!
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 10:53:14 pm »
I intend to major in political science and (meta)physics, and minor in software engineering.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 11:40:13 pm »
I intend to graduate with a major in owning 7-11's and perhaps a minor of providing shoddy technical support
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 12:45:27 am »
Game design ftw.
On weekends I will plot to take over the world.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 01:22:06 am »
I think (Almost positive) that I am going into Computer Science.   Going to Rolla (I think) next year for CS. soo... yeah. :)
* unTactical insists that he is invited to the famous St. Pattys day celebration at Rolla

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 01:45:39 am »
I'll major in software engineering for sure.  I'm already enrolled for that.  I'm probably going to Colorado State University, but I'm not 100% sure as of now.  I plan to minor in mathematics or physics.  I'm not entirely sure yet.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 02:13:02 am »
Double major in Meteorology/Computer Science and then have whatever MOS I get assigned but hopefully Electronic Warfare.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 02:24:41 am »
I suppose I should actually answer the question :).

I am majoring in Computer Engineering, minoring in Computer Science (I decided that working on a MS in Computer Engineering would be a better use of money/time than a double major).

@Sidoh, have you looked at/tried to get a scholarship to Colorado School of Mines?  If you can afford it/get into it, its an incredibly good school to go to for Engineering degrees. I hope to go there for my MS.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 02:42:35 am »

I am majoring in Computer Engineering, minoring in Computer Science (I decided that working on a MS in Computer Engineering would be a better use of money/time than a double major).

@Sidoh, have you looked at/tried to get a scholarship to Colorado School of Mines?  If you can afford it/get into it, its an incredibly good school to go to for Engineering degrees. I hope to go there for my MS.

Yes, I'm aware CSM is a very good engineering school.  My friend (who's actually sleeping next to me on my couch, haha) is going there.  I'm not sure how good their software programs are, though.  CSU's are pretty good.  I went there and talked to the department leader.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 01:37:40 pm »
* unTactical insists that he is invited to the famous St. Pattys day celebration at Rolla
For sure! :)
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 05:13:50 pm »

Yes, I'm aware CSM is a very good engineering school.  My friend (who's actually sleeping next to me on my couch, haha) is going there.  I'm not sure how good their software programs are, though.  CSU's are pretty good.  I went there and talked to the department leader.

awesome dude, looks like you've done your research :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 07:17:14 pm »
I was very inclined to majoring in Mechanical Engineering for a long while, but cryptography and number theory have really sparked my interest over this past year (and I mean heavily).  Right now I don't know, but I will almost definately double-minor business/computer science.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 07:42:26 pm »
awesome dude, looks like you've done your research :)

Hehe.  I met a girl at a club (FBLA -- high school Phi Beta Lamda) that is going to go to CSM with a major in CS/Math.  I was pretty surprised, seeing as she didn't have a penis and all.  My friend said "You'll be like one of four hot girls there."  Haha, I thought that was a pretty good pickup line.  I gave him a pat on the back for that.

I was very inclined to majoring in Mechanical Engineering for a long while, but cryptography and number theory have really sparked my interest over this past year (and I mean heavily).  Right now I don't know, but I will almost definately double-minor business/computer science.

You'd probably work for the NSA with that background, right?  I'm sure there are other jobs, but that seems like the most likely canidate.  I've also found a strong interest for math this year; I didn't like it much until Calculus this year.  Reading the history on it is really interesting too.  It's funny how Newton and Leibniz didn't understand why their newfound tools worked.

What are you going to major in?  Still Mechanical Engineering?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 07:44:26 pm »

Well, I'm going back again either later this week or early next week for a technical quiz/exam/whatever.  After that, I'm having another interview with 2 people, then I'll find out more.  The first interview went very well, in my opinion. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 07:45:49 pm »

Well, I'm going back again either later this week or early next week for a technical quiz/exam/whatever.  After that, I'm having another interview with 2 people, then I'll find out more.  The first interview went very well, in my opinion. 

Awesome!  Is this the same job described in the PDF you were showing us?  Security analyst or something like that?

Good luck!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 08:03:31 pm »

You'd probably work for the NSA with that background, right?  I'm sure there are other jobs, but that seems like the most likely canidate.  I've also found a strong interest for math this year; I didn't like it much until Calculus this year.  Reading the history on it is really interesting too.  It's funny how Newton and Leibniz didn't understand why their newfound tools worked.

What are you going to major in?  Still Mechanical Engineering?
The government probably doesn't like me because I'm a) a Friend ("Quaker") and b) registered as a  CO.

I am deciding between Mechanical Engineering and Mathematics (number theory, specifically).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 08:05:51 pm »
The government probably doesn't like me because I'm a) a Friend ("Quaker") and b) registered as a  CO.

I am deciding between Mechanical Engineering and Mathematics (number theory, specifically).

Haha, that's pretty funny.

Very cool.  What would your intended profession be in if you majored in mathematics?  Pure mathematicians work on the Pythagorean view of the world ("everything is numbers"), right?  That's what I've heard from a few people anyway.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 08:18:41 pm »
Everything is numbers.  Except for cake.  Cake is just cake, and hopefully good cake.

I don't want to see everything as numbers.  I'd much rather turn on my light and see than activate a 2 pound, ornately crafted ("modled by specific angles and calculations") energy emitting device which produces energy at such a high wavelength that it bounces off things which in turn allows me to "see" said things (more objects in geometric space), where "see" is a term used to describe a sequence of energy fluxations which in turn allow me to percieve something.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 08:37:53 pm »
Everything is numbers.  Except for cake.  Cake is just cake, and hopefully good cake.

I don't want to see everything as numbers.  I'd much rather turn on my light and see than activate a 2 pound, ornately crafted ("modled by specific angles and calculations") energy emitting device which produces energy at such a high wavelength that it bounces off things which in turn allows me to "see" said things (more objects in geometric space), where "see" is a term used to describe a sequence of energy fluxations which in turn allow me to percieve something.

You want to turn on a light bulb and look around the room?  Sounds fascinating.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 08:54:46 pm »
Awesome!  Is this the same job described in the PDF you were showing us?  Security analyst or something like that?

Good luck!

Yep, That's the job!

It's an awesome place, though, like right out of a movie.  You take the elevator downstairs (the upstairs has businesses and stuff).   The door opens into a dark black room with a neon sign saying "Seccuris".  In the corner is a TV where you can see yourself stepping off the elevator.  In the background is like suspense music, giving it a really cool atmosphere.  And there's nothing there but a locked door with a swipe-card entrance. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 11:38:50 pm »

Good luck!

Yep, That's the job!

It's an awesome place, though, like right out of a movie.  You take the elevator downstairs (the upstairs has businesses and stuff).   The door opens into a dark black room with a neon sign saying "Seccuris".  In the corner is a TV where you can see yourself stepping off the elevator.  In the background is like suspense music, giving it a really cool atmosphere.  And there's nothing there but a locked door with a swipe-card entrance. 

Sounds like a lot of fun!! :D

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And all winds that liven

- The Rasmus

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 05:35:36 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Fucking brilliant, Sidoh! <3

---------------
Really though:
I want to major as an Electrical Engineer and minor in something like Mathematics or perhaps something Computer-Related..  It'd be my dream to go to MIT just because that would be the coolest fucking thing in the world to have on your resume.  "College: Massachusetts Institute of Technology."  Not to mention that MIT is one of the most well-renowned colleges for engineering across the world.  Though, since that is 99.99999% not going to work out no matter how hard I try, I'm going to look for other colleges next year.  I'm only a freshman but if I need to pick up slack and get more than a 12.5 (between A and A+) gpa for a certain college, or take a certain test (SAT2 for MIT), I'd love to know that ahead of schedule so I don't rush it in.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 12:00:34 am »
I'm sixteen so I'm sure my view will be subject to change before I grad from HS. I'm decently atheletic, but not specified into any sport that it'd help me out anywhere. Science has always been my favored class in school, and for about the last year all my of " What I want to do in college ( I am 100% positive that I'm going to college, probably UCSD ) " have all been different branches of Medical. Physician, Physician's Assistant, etc.

Pays well and seems fun, after getting past the law cases and such. ;[

Can't fool a FoOoL