Author Topic: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews  (Read 24101 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2006, 01:37:43 pm »
Okay all those sites are nice and dandy, do they add up to IE's usage and do they account for most users on the planet? No, sorry.

Yes, they do.  They account for a ton more than IE's usage.  Especially considering it probably won't do anything (or nearly as much as the sources listed above), it's no argument.  IE isn't bringing RSS to the mainstream.  It's implementing something that's already mainstream.  Microsoft is hopping on the bandwagon. :P

Do you really think that is more than the millions and millions of Windows users? Most windows users (sadly) use IE6 and will move to IE7 in Vista. Vista is expected to make Microsoft's userbase grow as well so let's take that into account. I highly doubt that is more.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2006, 01:39:49 pm »
Not if you're talking on a global scale like Sidoh and others want me to. Else if we talked on a more local scale, then Microsoft's comment would be fine.

Now since we're talking on a global scale, until most of the users on the internet use it then it won't be mainstream and it's pretty obvious most users on the internet are using Windows..

And it's been said here at least a dozen times: just because most Internet web users aren't using it, doesn't mean it's not mainstream.  Most sites use it, and the most popular sites use it.  That makes it mainstream.  Being in the browser will just mean that it's used more.  That's it.  What don't you understand about that?

Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes: * something that is not out of the ordinary or unusual;* something that is familiar to the masses;* something that belongs to an identifiable genre, such as detective fiction, horror, fantasy, or science fiction.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream

Common meaning majority, and again you are forgetting what microsoft is talking about when they mean mainstream. If they meant most popular websites, then yes you'd be correct. They will bring RSS to the majority of users and by definition it would become mainstream.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2006, 03:19:31 pm »
Do you really think that is more than the millions and millions of Windows users? Most windows users (sadly) use IE6 and will move to IE7 in Vista. Vista is expected to make Microsoft's userbase grow as well so let's take that into account. I highly doubt that is more.

Do you think there are more people that use Microsoft than use Google, cell phones and news feeds?  I certainly don't.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2006, 03:25:52 pm »

Do you think there are more people that use Microsoft than use Google, cell phones and news feeds?  I certainly don't.

Yes.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2006, 03:46:56 pm »
Yes.

By the suggestion you were offensively giving us: give reasoning, proof or at least some logical statistic.  Saying "Yes" does absolutely nothing for your argument.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2006, 05:06:27 pm »
My reason: It's true. I can't believe you even think that they come close to Microsoft in their numbers.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2006, 05:12:55 pm »
Here's what Warrior is saying:  Most people in America use Microsoft Windows.  Microsoft Windows by default uses IE.  If IE uses something it has to become mainstream and COULDN'T ever happen before so.

Is there any truth to that?
No.

Windows is becoming extinct in Europe, because they are too smart to pay for crap.  An upgrade to crap, doesn't make crap better.  They're all buying into Linux and paying companys to make software and give tech support.
( This is what I've heard, I don't know this for sure, but I trust this source )
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2006, 05:48:46 pm »
My reason: It's true. I can't believe you even think that they come close to Microsoft in their numbers.

That's because you can't see past the end of your nose.

I have a question for you, Mr. Winblows Zealot Warrior: How does Microsoft expect to gain back the 10% loss in market share they lost from Firefox? What incentive will users have to switch back?

Don't give me your usual load of crap "the new ie7 will blow firefox away!!!!" I want an actual answer of features that Firefox lacks and IE7 will have and users will want to use.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2006, 06:20:02 pm »
Okay all those sites are nice and dandy, do they add up to IE's usage and do they account for most users on the planet? No, sorry.
So yahoo (the #1 site on the internet according to alexa), google(#3), cnn(#24), abc news(#25), bbc(#20), doesn't constitute a "large enough" portion of the internet to be considered mainstream? I think that those alone account for at least the vast majority of the average stupid people who use IE and are only online to check the news and their email.

That made me chuckle a bit. Yahoo being the #1 site on the internet, according to people who don't remove spyware (Alexa).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2006, 06:22:35 pm »

I can't you believe that the number of people who are going to use RSS in Internet Explorer are going to outnumber or even come close to the use it already has.  We've given statistics.  You haven't.  You've given rough, invented statements that have no true relevance to the argument.

I have a question for you, Mr. Winblows Zealot Warrior: How does Microsoft expect to gain back the 10% loss in market share they lost from Firefox? What incentive will users have to switch back?

Don't give me your usual load of crap "the new ie7 will blow firefox away!!!!" I want an actual answer of features that Firefox lacks and IE7 will have and users will want to use.

Holy shit, MS lost 10% market share to Firefox?  That's increadibly bad news for Microsoft! :O

That made me chuckle a bit. Yahoo being the #1 site on the internet, according to people who don't remove spyware (Alexa).

Alexa is probably the most accurate source we have for tracking how the internet is used; most of the people that use the internet are idiots. :)

The people who do remove spyware probably know what RSS is (or at least use sites that provide syndication feeds), so it's asside from the point.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2006, 06:34:21 pm »

Holy shit, MS lost 10% market share to Firefox?  That's increadibly bad news for Microsoft! :O

Firefox has slowly creeped up to 10% marketshare.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2006, 06:46:58 pm »
Firefox has slowly creeped up to 10% marketshare.

Haha, that's increadible that browser created by such a small company is able to do that!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2006, 07:17:48 pm »
Mozilla's a public company? Or do you not mean "share" as in "stock," as it is often used?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2006, 07:21:56 pm »
I mean 1 in every 10 browsers is Firefox.
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2006, 08:42:29 pm »
I mean 1 in every 10 browsers is Firefox.

Haha, I was pretty confused when you said "share."  I didn't think Mozilla was public!  :)