Author Topic: PS3 will come with... Linux?  (Read 8635 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: PS3 will come with... Linux?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 02:25:39 pm »
The point is Linux is going mainstream and finally out classing Microsoft.. finally.

No... its... not.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 02:58:35 pm »
The point is Linux is going mainstream and finally out classing Microsoft.. finally.

No... its... not.
NO, I forgot, Sidoh will disagree with ANYthing GameSnake says, and he's ALWAYS right! It's simple, PS3 being shipped with Linux = Linux going mainstream, how can it not? Sony isn't a major mainstream company? I guess if Sony isn't maintstream then niether is Microsoft.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 03:13:25 pm »
NO, I forgot, Sidoh will disagree with ANYthing GameSnake says, and he's ALWAYS right!

I disagree with almost everything you say because I seriously believe almost everything you say is a horribly generalized statement or assumption.

It's simple, PS3 being shipped with Linux = Linux going mainstream, how can it not? Sony isn't a major mainstream company?

It may be on shipped devices, but it's not going to "out class" Microsoft.  It will only be used in the same way that people use the internet (which relies extremely heavily on *NIX servers).  They'll use it, but they won't know / won't care unless they've used Linux before (or care about it).

I guess if Sony isn't maintstream then niether is Microsoft.

*sigh*.  Why can't you read your own posts?

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 03:22:30 pm »
NO, I forgot, Sidoh will disagree with ANYthing GameSnake says, and he's ALWAYS right!

I disagree with almost everything you say because I seriously believe almost everything you say is a horribly generalized statement or assumption.

It's simple, PS3 being shipped with Linux = Linux going mainstream, how can it not? Sony isn't a major mainstream company?

It may be on shipped devices, but it's not going to "out class" Microsoft.  It will only be used in the same way that people use the internet (which relies extremely heavily on *NIX servers).  They'll use it, but they won't know / won't care unless they've used Linux before (or care about it).

*sigh*.  Why can't you read your own posts?
If the PS3 has a Linux OS on it, don't you think that is a major leap in exposure for Linux? I mean let's say atleast 30 million people buy the PS3 (45 million bought the PS1, 40 million the PS2), then this is indeed "main stream"? I'm just curious, what do you classify as main stream? How many people have to be exposed to something before the thing is "generally known" in the general public, to you?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 03:24:58 pm by GameSnake »

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 03:34:31 pm »
It will be very hard for Linux to become mainstream for desktop usage. It is however a mainstream OS. It's more well known than the other hobby (or former hobby) OSes.

Consider the facts atleast, while most people will disagree with Microsoft's actions, their marketing techniques alone bring them plenty of usage. The only time I can see Linux possibly making a move is if Vista somehow fails. Then however they'd more or less be  competing with Tiger 10.5
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 03:37:22 pm »
If the PS3 has a Linux OS on it, don't you think that is a major leap in exposure for Linux?

Sure.  It doesn't mean it's going to "out class" Microsoft, though.  Like I said, I highly doubt most of the users are going to even realize that they're using Linux.

I mean let's say atleast 30 million people buy the PS3 (45 million bought the PS1, 40 million the PS2), then this is indeed "main stream"?

For the third time, GameSnake, I'm telling you you're incorrect by saying "Linux is going to out class Microsoft simply because the PS3 is going to ship with Linux."  No.

I'm just curious, what do you classify as main stream? How many people have to be exposed to something before the thing is "generally known" in the general public, to you?

Once again, you failed to read your own post and realize which one of your "points" I was attacking.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 03:41:59 pm »
I think Sidoh disagrees with you because you make dumbass posts.

What's Linux's desktop marketshare, 5, maybe 10% tops?  Assuming the populations who buy computers and who buy PS3s are similar, then the people who care that Linux is the OS on the PS3 will be about 5, maybe 10% tops.

You're a moron.

If the PS3 has a Linux OS on it, don't you think that is a major leap in exposure for Linux? I mean let's say atleast 30 million people buy the PS3 (45 million bought the PS1, 40 million the PS2), then this is indeed "main stream"? I'm just curious, what do you classify as main stream? How many people have to be exposed to something before the thing is "generally known" in the general public, to you?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Amainstream
Quote from: Wikipedia
Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes: * something that is not out of the ordinary or unusual;* something that is familiar to the masses;* something that belongs to an identifiable genre, such as detective fiction, horror, fantasy, or science fiction.
(emphasis added).

The Linux-y features of the OS won't be utilized by the mainstream public because it's 1.) not familiar to the masses, 2.) perhaps not applicable to a PS3 owner in the mainstream because they already own a computer, and 3.) just want to use their console for console-y stuff.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 06:44:18 pm »
The point of Linux was to bring UNIX to open-source. Linus himself uses a PowerPC, and IIRC, UNIX is x86 only.

You're partly right.  Mostly wrong, though :P

First of all, UNIX was first written in the 1960's, and the x86 architecture is from the 1980's.  So you're wrong there. 

But point of Linux was NOT to bring UNIX to meanstream.  That's GNU.  The point of Linux is that Linus wanted to write his own OS for the fun of it, or something, and in the early 1990's he did.  I don't think there were any overbearing reasons.  GNU and the Free Software Foundation were inventented in the 1980's to write POSIX (Portable OS Interface for Unix, I think) software that was free, and to encourage free software.  They had written or ported everything from compilers to editors, but they didn't have an OS.  Then they found out about Linus's project, and they paired up with him. 

I agree that PS3's running Linux will bring Linux more into mainstream.  Or maybe more into center-stage instead of off in the wings, metaphorically.  I'd bet a lot more home users will use their PS3 than those who use Linux on their personal computers.  I'm not saying it's going to be any kind of revolution, it's not.  But this is the kind of thing that Linux was designed for, and what it excels at. 

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 07:05:31 pm »
It'll be a hard drive with Linux on it, but I doubt you'll be able to utilize many of what's so interesting about Linux (does it come with a keyboard? will you be able to download free software? will you be able to run a window manager?), and just because you're exposing a few interfaces of Linux on the PS3 won't make it mainstream - people will just think, hey, my PS3 runs on Linux! and that'll be the end of it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 07:10:08 pm »
It'll be a hard drive with Linux on it, but I doubt you'll be able to utilize many of what's so interesting about Linux (does it come with a keyboard? will you be able to download free software? will you be able to run a window manager?), and just because you're exposing a few interfaces of Linux on the PS3 won't make it mainstream - people will just think, hey, my PS3 runs on Linux! and that'll be the end of it.

Linux is frequently found in onboard devices that don't have any sort of GUI whatsoever.  The only thing that's Linux is the core operating system, everything else is custom.  Many kinds of routers and switches (NOT Cisco) are like that.  I'm guessing that's the same as this. 

Of course, I could be wrong.  Maybe it WILL be a full Linux install :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 07:11:47 pm »
Linux is frequently found in onboard devices that don't have any sort of GUI whatsoever.  The only thing that's Linux is the core operating system, everything else is custom.  Many kinds of routers and switches (NOT Cisco) are like that.  I'm guessing that's the same as this. 

Of course, I could be wrong.  Maybe it WILL be a full Linux install :)

I really doubt it will be.  It's much to specific a device to not have an extremely customized OS.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 07:50:32 pm »
I agree that PS3's running Linux will bring Linux more into mainstream.  Or maybe more into center-stage instead of off in the wings, metaphorically.  I'd bet a lot more home users will use their PS3 than those who use Linux on their personal computers.  I'm not saying it's going to be any kind of revolution, it's not.  But this is the kind of thing that Linux was designed for, and what it excels at. 
According to the Wikipedia definition of "mainstream," I still don't think it will bring Linux more into "mainstream."  People won't even be cognizant of what it means to be "running Linux."

It'll be a hard drive with Linux on it, but I doubt you'll be able to utilize many of what's so interesting about Linux (does it come with a keyboard? will you be able to download free software? will you be able to run a window manager?)
No, but it'll have something obscure like 7 USB ports.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 08:01:10 pm »
According to the Wikipedia definition of "mainstream," I still don't think it will bring Linux more into "mainstream."  People won't even be cognizant of what it means to be "running Linux."
Yeah, it's hard to properly say what it'll do.  What I'm trying ot say is that it will being Linux into more mainstream usage.  Even though people may not be aware that they're using it, they will be. 

I'm not even sure if that counts, but whatever :P

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 08:38:50 pm »
Look, this is just my arguement, I'm sticking to it and I dont need to call anyone an idiot to feel better about myself..

Are you guys forgetting how powerfull next gen-consoles are becoming? You basically have a computer for the XBOX 360. It's all around media machine: you can play with others, play music and watch videos on the thing: all the things I like to do on my computer, it's there on the console.

These machines are basically computers. I'm willing to bet they're always going to improve on graphics, but to keep up they're going to add more and more features.
Who knows if people will recongize the OS on the PS3 or not, but the fact that they're using Linux alone is a big deal. It's going to be companys like Dell and Sony that are going to bring Linux the big attention, NOT GNU: GNU is nothing compared to these big companys.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 08:41:22 pm »
GNU isn't a company, it's a concept or a policy or even an agreement. 

What you're thinking of is the Free Software Foundation.