Author Topic: No Aero for pirates  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: No Aero for pirates
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 12:59:14 pm »
Speech Recognition: It's never been done before? I beg to differ. That was the first result after googling "Speech Recognition Programs". Not innovative. Next.

Built into the OS? Allowing you to control your OS via speech commands? What else does this? Nothing. Innovative.

Defender: Nothing? I had to build pf into my kernel. You lose. Building something into the kernel is not innovative, especially when it's a security mechanism. It's been done before, Warrior. That is, building security tools into the kernel. Next.

Having them interact into the kernel and work together with the program execution. Regardless of how many times the feature itself has been done, it's never been implemented at this level. Until you provide some sort of link or something it's innovation. Next.

PlayForSure: I *quote* your description now, "Portable music devices that display the PlaysForSure logo will seamlessly connect to your Windows Vista-based PC as soon as you plug them in. There's no need to load any third-party software or drivers." I seamlessly plugged my iPod into my computer and had to install NO drivers. I had to move music onto an MP3 player my mom purchased, and it took no drivers OR software to do it. It seems M$ is just trying to start a new standard, which I guess is a good thing, since I've only found a few things that required no software/drivers.

That's exactly the point, the standard for communication is the innovation. For example, a mouse was innovative when it was released. However the standard unifying all mouses were innovative as well.

XPS: If you say so, I guess I will view the video.

Really you should, it's really nice.

Restart Manager: Haha, I love the personal attack, stating nothing I said is valid anymore. All I said is I don't have to reboot for majority of my updates. This software allows you to not reboot for the majority of your updates.. Thus, it has been done before, and is not innovative. Next.

I said that because you're mixing what you think or need from something with it's innovation. However on this if what you say is true then I'll give this to you.

Power Management: I want to see how it's new. Show me exactly what it does that's new (links, please).

The way it manages the power according the specifications there are on your computer. Everything here was taking
directly off the Vista website. Go to I didn't want to quote their entire article. Every header I quoted there is a more detailed explination.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 01:00:21 pm »
It wasn't a personal attack, it was a conclusion I came to given your response. If you took offense to it that's not my problem as long as the intention was not as such.

Regardless of your "intentions," it was an insult.  You directed a derogatory remark towards me; that's an insult.  I'm not going to just take it.  I choose to defend myself.

Then I apologize for it. I may have gotten carried away.

That's a good point but I don't think it's to stop pirates. They know they can get over it, they figure why not throw another barrel at them and do us some good along the way?

Because "throwing barrels" costs time and money.

What if the good done outweighs the cost?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 01:02:27 pm »
[00:10] MyndFyre[x86]: [quote from warrior]Don't have to restart the OS for updates? Cmon, how much easier can you get.
[00:10] MyndFyre[x86]: He forgets whom he's talking to.  All you nutty people like to watch your kernel recompile.
[00:10] GenoSidoh06: rofl
[00:11] MyndFyre[x86]: it's like "z0mg kernel update I got a boner"
[00:11] MyndFyre[x86]: "compile time OMG I'm coming!"
[/quote]

While that's a good point, it isn't their aim at a specific group of people. It is made to make it easier for the average user to upgrade his system.
I realize the restarting after an update was a bar set by Windows, it's great that they passed it. Like I said, if Linux already does this then I'll give this to them but let's not mix what a specific group thinks about something with weather or not it's innovative or not.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 01:03:28 pm »
Incidentally, none of those features sounds groundbreakingly awesome.  I don't think any of them (or all of them together) justifies an upgrade to my computer/os. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 01:07:46 pm »
Well those arn't all of the features. I'm going to be reviewing Vista myself in a few days and posting it here. I'd like to hear comments from you guys.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 02:15:14 pm »
Built into the OS? Allowing you to control your OS via speech commands? What else does this? Nothing. Innovative.

Having them interact into the kernel and work together with the program execution. Regardless of how many times the feature itself has been done, it's never been implemented at this level. Until you provide some sort of link or something it's innovation. Next.

That's exactly the point, the standard for communication is the innovation. For example, a mouse was innovative when it was released. However the standard unifying all mouses were innovative as well.

The way it manages the power according the specifications there are on your computer. Everything here was taking directly off the Vista website. Go to I didn't want to quote their entire article. Every header I quoted there is a more detailed explination.

You should state it's built into the OS. On a side note, what if I don't want this feature? Can I remove it from my kernel so it isn't bloated with useless clutter?

Link or something for implementation of a program interacting with the kernel? I used pf, so here's the FreeBSD handbook page describing how to work pf (compiling into the kernel, etc.). It's not innovative unless you want to tell me exactly what the "LEVEL" is that's never been done before.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 03:03:42 pm »
I don't think I know anybody like that.  I only upgrade my kernel if I realize that I need a new feature.  Instead of recompiling my current kernel, I upgrade it. 

It was clearly a joke. ;)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 03:38:48 pm »
I don't think I know anybody like that.  I only upgrade my kernel if I realize that I need a new feature.  Instead of recompiling my current kernel, I upgrade it. 

It was clearly a joke. ;)

It's a stupid and uneducated joke, and I felt the need to point that out. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 03:53:42 pm »

It was a joke because of it's obvious exaggeration.  Both of us know that's not the case... lighten up? ;D

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 04:04:06 pm »

It was a joke because of it's obvious exaggeration.  Both of us know that's not the case... lighten up? ;D

Others who read this thread may not understand, though.  And whether or not it's a joke, it casts non-Windows users in a negative light for something that nobody actually does.  That bothers me.