Author Topic: What are some good anti-abortion/abortion points?  (Read 8717 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: What are some good anti-abortion/abortion points?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 05:22:11 pm »
I say we kill ever retarded person then.  They don't have a clue as to what is going on, they're just a massive burden on society.

This is a good point.  We don't hold qualms about intelligent life, it's human life that we believe has innate value.
Word.
Now, since we value human life why wouldn't we value almost certain human life?
That little blob of cells is going to develope unless some unforseen circumstance comes into play, it WILL become human.  Just because there is a CHANCE we might get in a car accident doesn't mean we don't drive cars. (that seems like a weird analogy, someone make a better one up if you can)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 06:29:25 pm »
I say we kill ever retarded person then.  They don't have a clue as to what is going on, they're just a massive burden on society.

This is a good point.  We don't hold qualms about intelligent life, it's human life that we believe has innate value.
Word.
Now, since we value human life why wouldn't we value almost certain human life?
That little blob of cells is going to develope unless some unforseen circumstance comes into play, it WILL become human.  Just because there is a CHANCE we might get in a car accident doesn't mean we don't drive cars. (that seems like a weird analogy, someone make a better one up if you can)

Wow.  Are we just going to assume that human life has innate value then as an axiom, and argue from that point?  That seems pretty primitive to me.  If you're going to have a logical argument about this, better somehow demonstrate why human life is so much more important than other life.  This is absolutely not a given nor is it a logical conclusion.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 12:30:06 am »
Human life is more important to us because that is how we view it. 
We are the smartest, most capable creatures on earth, we dominate every other creature.
I believe it has been scientifically proven that we have the most complex brain, we obviously have the most complex thought processes

I think that seems like a good reason why to value human life so much

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 12:56:44 am »
Human life is more important to us because that is how we view it. 

Yes, and I could say human life isn't important because that is how I view it.  An unsupported
personal viewpoint is not logical support for a claim.

We are the smartest, most capable creatures on earth

I thought Myndfyre established that this debate should not seriously consider intelligence, (probably because arguing that humans are different because they are intelligent does not bode well for the anti-abortion stance when comparing fertilized eggs, and even many humans, to certain animals).  I'm also pretty sure that you conspicuously agreed with him.

Besides, what are we most capable of? 

we dominate every other creature.

That seems more despicable to me than valuable.  Why should this mean that human life is more valuable than other life?  You would then agree that all predators are more valuable than their prey, because they can "dominate them."  For example, a mite is more valuable than a bee, because mites can dominate populations of bees; yet, the survival of many species (including ourselves) is closely linked to bees practicing pollination.

I believe it has been scientifically proven that we have the most complex brain, we obviously have the most complex thought processes
Are you again arguing intelligence?  I guarantee that it hasn't be scientifically proven that we have the most complex brain.  Likewise, it is not obvious that we have the most complex thought processes.

I think that seems like a good reason why to value human life so much

I don't think any of the reasons you have listed are very good.  It mostly seems like you're saying
"we're better because we say we are."  That just doesn't cut it in logical debate.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:58:36 am by Rule »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 01:15:37 am »
I see alot of (scientific & non) articles on Google that say we have the most complex brain.

We hold our selves in higer priority because we are generally selfish beings.  We generally take advantage of what we can to better ourselves. 
In our domination we know what is best for us, that is why we do not utterly destroy all of living creatures so we have more space, we realize we need them.

Why shouldn't we consider ourselves to be the best and most important?