Author Topic: OSPAP2 -- Beta test  (Read 16424 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: OSPAP2 -- Beta test
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 11:38:58 pm »
White is too hardcore.  Go with a soft blue or gray or something like that.  Also, it'd be great if you could add in Upload Directory or something so that I can upload a whole folder without having to select all 60 files individually.

There's no way to do that without the use of something like flash (I'm not even sure if it's possible then).

It's pretty easy to implement support for uploading and then extracting from archive files, though.  I did that with the CMS I worked on this summer, but unfortunately, I don't think the zip module is standard with PHP and if you do it in some other way, you sort of lose out on how portable your code is.  Even still, I think that'd be a great feature for something like a photo album to have.

iago, are you planning on using AJAX anywhere?  I can already see a few places where it would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:40:47 pm by Sidoh »

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 11:44:37 pm »
I can't "browse" a picture to upload it. And I think it's worth noting that when completing a comment, the website adds another "post comment" button on the page.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:47:43 pm by GameSnake »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 11:54:31 pm »
White is too hardcore.  Go with a soft blue or gray or something like that.  Also, it'd be great if you could add in Upload Directory or something so that I can upload a whole folder without having to select all 60 files individually.

There's no way to do that without the use of something like flash (I'm not even sure if it's possible then).

It's pretty easy to implement support for uploading and then extracting from archive files, though.  I did that with the CMS I worked on this summer, but unfortunately, I don't think the zip module is standard with PHP and if you do it in some other way, you sort of lose out on how portable your code is.  Even still, I think that'd be a great feature for something like a photo album to have.

iago, are you planning on using AJAX anywhere?  I can already see a few places where it would be nice.
Facebook does it just fine using what appears to be AJAX+Javascript.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 12:03:44 am »
I don't plan to use AJAX, it's more trouble and I don't think it would add enough benefit.

In terms of uploading a directory, I have no idea how that could be done. I didn't even know it was possible...

I can't "browse" a picture to upload it. And I think it's worth noting that when completing a comment, the website adds another "post comment" button on the page.
That's intentional, so when there are a lot of comments you can click on the top or the bottom.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 12:07:40 am »
Facebook does it just fine using what appears to be AJAX+Javascript.

It uses Java.  I don't know what your personal stance is on applets in pages, but I don't like them where they're not necessary. :)

I don't plan to use AJAX, it's more trouble and I don't think it would add enough benefit.

In terms of uploading a directory, I have no idea how that could be done. I didn't even know it was possible...

I do suppose it's a subjective thing, but I think it'd be nice to not have to wait for the page to reload if you submit a rating.  I'm sure there are other places where it'd make things run a bit more smoothly, but since it's your project, I'm not going to try to preach on what you should be doing with it.

Maybe you could look into adding archive support, then?  That'd be just about as convenient.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 12:12:00 am »
I see what you mean with the rating thing, but I don't think it's such a big deal. Personally, I don't like pages that work like that, I always find it a little confusing when things don't work the way I expect them to. But yeah, totally a personal thing. :P

Archive support for uploading multiple files, you mean? (archive has a lot of different meanings, just making sure :P) That does sound fairly simple to do, and the way pictures are uploaded it would be pretty easy to add that. I'll add it to my list.

Incidentally, I found a bug where you can click on "post comment" even if you aren't allowed to comment (getting an error message). I'll fix that later. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 12:22:54 am »
I see what you mean with the rating thing, but I don't think it's such a big deal. Personally, I don't like pages that work like that, I always find it a little confusing when things don't work the way I expect them to. But yeah, totally a personal thing. :P

It's not a big deal, but most of web design (at least it seems to me) is a collection of a bunch of silly details like that.  Also, I think it's always confusing when anything doesn't work the way you expect it to, given that you do expect it to work in some way. :)

Archive support for uploading multiple files, you mean? (archive has a lot of different meanings, just making sure :P) That does sound fairly simple to do, and the way pictures are uploaded it would be pretty easy to add that. I'll add it to my list.

Yeah, sorry for the ambiguity.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 12:39:34 am »
It's not a big deal, but most of web design (at least it seems to me) is a collection of a bunch of silly details like that.  Also, I think it's always confusing when anything doesn't work the way you expect it to, given that you do expect it to work in some way. :)
Haha, it's a bit of a tautology. Sorry 'bout that. What I mean is, obviously, that AJAXy stuff often doesn't feel right, it always takes me time to adjust. Plus, I tend to use the Internet with noscript enabled, so I try to make everything work without JavaScript, and things I can't should work fine without.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 12:31:03 pm »
Haha, it's a bit of a tautology. Sorry 'bout that. What I mean is, obviously, that AJAXy stuff often doesn't feel right, it always takes me time to adjust. Plus, I tend to use the Internet with noscript enabled, so I try to make everything work without JavaScript, and things I can't should work fine without.

Hehe, I think I knew what you meant.  I was just giving you a hard time.

I understand and can sympathize with your reasons for not using AJAX, but, personally, I'm starting to expect that it's used for some of the simpler tasks like rating systems, etc.  That is, of course, just me, though. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:21 pm »
I fixed pretty much every problem posted here. I haven't done group disbanding or zipfile uploading, since those will take longer. I also fixed some bugs reported by Blaze, and added some features for him.

Can somebody who didn't like the fontsize before tell me if it's better now? I was using scaled fonts, apparently, so I set the base font to be a little bigger.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 11:01:57 pm »
Yep, they're all good sizes in my opinion.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 11:24:14 pm »
I found another bug.  I think you forgot to update your database table for the new registration values.

exception 'Exception' with message 'MySQL Error: Unknown column 'user_show_empty' in 'field list': INSERT INTO `tbl_user` (`user_id`,`user_username`,`user_email`,`user_is_advanced`,`user_show_empty`,`user_remember_filter`,`user_realname`,`user_location`,`user_password`) VALUES ('','Blaze','ian@maide.ca','1','1','1','Ian','Ontario, Canada','Censored Password');' in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php:601
Stack trace:
#0 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php(585): clsDB::query('INSERT INTO `<<...')
#1 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php(666): clsDB::insertQuery('INSERT INTO `<<...')
#2 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsUser.php(69): clsDB->save()
#3 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/members.php(98): clsUser->attemptCreate()
#4 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsTemplate.php(71): require('/home/ron/publi...')
#5 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/index.php(121): clsTemplate->get()
#6 {main}
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 11:45:47 pm »
http://www.javaop.com/~ron/ospap2/index.php?action=albums
Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/albums.php on line 42

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 12:00:21 am »
Add a "I forgot my password" link.  I forgot my password  >:(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 08:55:47 am »
Oh damnit, I updated my local DB but not the remote one. Oops!

I'll fix that when I get to work. :)