Author Topic: OSPAP2 -- Beta test  (Read 16412 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
OSPAP2 -- Beta test
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:57:59 pm »
http://www.javaop.com/~ron/ospap2/

I've been working on this for months, in my spare time. I've finally finished up to a point where I can release it. However, I'd like to have some others look at it first, to get some opinions on it. I'd appreciate it if you could take a few minutes and try it out.

- Create an account (or use mine -- Ron / password)
- Create an album
- Upload some pictures (try multiple at once, that's a request that Trust made years ago when I did ospap1, but that I never implemented)
- Poke around different pages -- members, groups, etc.
- Play with album permissions
- Try to find a way to do SQL injection or XSS or something
- Add stuff, delete stuff, and screw around in any way you can

I'm going to reset the database, so don't worry about effing up data. Everything in there now is stuff I imported from ospap1 for testing.

If you do play with this, can you tell me:
- Where the interface can be improved
- Any errors you get (mostly from clicking links -- it's easy to generate an error by changing parameters, but normally it's just an access_denied error)
- Any way you think this can be improved, because once I release a project I hate going back to it

If you want to poke around at the sourcecode, have a look here: http://www.javaop.com/~ron/tmp/ospap2.tgz. There's no easy way to install it from that, or instructions, but it can give you a little insight into how it works (or fails to work. :) )

Looking forward to feedback!

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: OSPAP2 -- Beta test
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 07:08:37 pm »
I'm trying it out right now. Okay I tried to create and album (which on the next page says edit an album?!) but got this message upon completion:
Code: [Select]
exception 'Exception' with message 'MySQL Error: Unknown column 'album_simple_permissions' in 'field list': INSERT INTO `tbl_album` (`album_id`,`album_album_id`,`album_name`,`album_group_id`,`album_caption`,`album_hide_from_main_page`,`album_export_tag`,`album_max_width`,`album_max_height`,`album_mime`,`album_simple_permissions`,`album_user_id`,`album_albumpolicy_guest_id`,`album_albumpolicy_member_id`,`album_albumpolicy_group_id`) VALUES ('','','random image','0','Testing Ron's OSPAP thing!','0','','640','480','image/jpeg','1','2','40','41','42');' in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php:601
Stack trace:
#0 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php(585): clsDB::query('INSERT INTO `<<...')
#1 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php(666): clsDB::insertQuery('INSERT INTO `<<...')
#2 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/albums.php(402): clsDB->save()
#3 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsTemplate.php(71): require('/home/ron/publi...')
#4 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/index.php(118): clsTemplate->get()
#5 {main}
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:13:21 pm by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:19:48 pm »
I'm trying it out right now. Okay I tried to create and album (which on the next page says edit an album?!) but got this message upon completion:
Code: [Select]
exception 'Exception' with message 'MySQL Error: Unknown column 'album_simple_permissions' in 'field list': INSERT INTO `tbl_album` (`album_id`,`album_album_id`,`album_name`,`album_group_id`,`album_caption`,`album_hide_from_main_page`,`album_export_tag`,`album_max_width`,`album_max_height`,`album_mime`,`album_simple_permissions`,`album_user_id`,`album_albumpolicy_guest_id`,`album_albumpolicy_member_id`,`album_albumpolicy_group_id`) VALUES ('','','random image','0','Testing Ron's OSPAP thing!','0','','640','480','image/jpeg','1','2','40','41','42');' in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php:601
Stack trace:
#0 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php(585): clsDB::query('INSERT INTO `<<...')
#1 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsDB.php(666): clsDB::insertQuery('INSERT INTO `<<...')
#2 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/albums.php(402): clsDB->save()
#3 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsTemplate.php(71): require('/home/ron/publi...')
#4 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/index.php(118): clsTemplate->get()
#5 {main}

Thanks for the report! I think it's fixed, can you give 'er another go?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:35:39 pm »
I didn't poke around much and maybe this is nit-picky, but some of the fonts seem really small.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:49:18 pm »
Somebody else said the same thing, and you might be right. They look fine to me, but I still use 1024x768 resolution.

I'll work on the fonts. :)

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 08:51:34 pm »
I didn't poke around much and maybe this is nit-picky, but some of the fonts seem really small.
I agree, my display at 1280x960 it looks horrible.

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
I hate when that happens. :(
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 08:58:45 pm »
After creating an album, I tried to post an image, the problem being nothing happend after I clicked the browse button.

Edit.

After creating a Group and testing the functions, when I tried to "disband" the group I got this error:

exception 'Exception' with message 'exception_accessdenied' in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/groups.php:254
Stack trace:
#0 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/cls/clsTemplate.php(71): require()
#1 /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/index.php(118): clsTemplate->get()
#2 {main}"

Edit.

Is there some way I am missing of uploading pictures without having to create a new album?
I also find the website minimalistic and hard on the eyes. I'd suggest an update to the website layout in general.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:07:58 pm by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 10:09:29 pm »
To other Web developers, what range of font sizes should I use?

To GS: I actually forgot to write the "disband" code, so that's expected. I'll put it on my list and do it later.

You can't upload a picture without an album, otherwise the picture has nowhere to go. Well, you can upload it, but you can't put it anywhere. I think that makes sense with the metaphor, in real life you can't share your pictures with people unless they're in an album (kinda).

In terms of design, I'm not a Web designer, and the way it looks is the best I'm going to get it. I don't think it's hard on the eyes, unless you mean the small fonts, but I'm going to change those. That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with minimalistic for this type of site, I don't like flashy stuff and sharing pictures shouldn't be flashy anyways. If you have any specific suggestions, or if anybody wants to work with me to get a nice design, let me know.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 10:32:16 pm »
On page: http://www.javaop.com/~ron/ospap2/index.php?action=groups&subaction=view&group_id=1
Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/groups.php on line 69
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:46:25 pm »
I'd agree a flashy web site is impractical, but the font could be bigger, and white back round hurts my eyes personally.. I just think it could look a little snazzier without doing too much to the layout.. I'm not putting your web site down I'm just trying to help by giving you suggestions and combing for a few bugs. I might help in some other way too, would it hurt if I submitted a better menu layout? It's late now but in the future I'd like to help some more.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:49:49 pm by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 10:53:04 pm »
On page: http://www.javaop.com/~ron/ospap2/index.php?action=groups&subaction=view&group_id=1
Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/ron/public_html/ospap2/pages/groups.php on line 69
Good find, fixed.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 10:55:05 pm »
I'd agree a flashy web site is impractical, but the font could be bigger, and white back round hurts my eyes personally.. I just think it could look a little snazzier without doing too much to the layout.. I'm not putting your web site down I'm just trying to help by giving you suggestions and combing for a few bugs. I might help in some other way too, would it hurt if I submitted a better menu layout? It's late now but in the future I'd like to help some more.
Apparently, studies have shown that a white background is better:
http://hubel.sfasu.edu/research/AHNCUR.html

That's why I chose that.

Like I said, I'm not a designer, if you think you can make it look better feel free to send me something. I won't promise that I'll use it, though, so don't put a whole lot of work into it. I know you aren't putting it down, but I prefer getting complaints with suggestions attached. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 11:16:08 pm »

To GS: I actually forgot to write the "disband" code, so that's expected. I'll put it on my list and do it later.

You can't upload a picture without an album, otherwise the picture has nowhere to go. Well, you can upload it, but you can't put it anywhere. I think that makes sense with the metaphor, in real life you can't share your pictures with people unless they're in an album (kinda).

In terms of design, I'm not a Web designer, and the way it looks is the best I'm going to get it. I don't think it's hard on the eyes, unless you mean the small fonts, but I'm going to change those. That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with minimalistic for this type of site, I don't like flashy stuff and sharing pictures shouldn't be flashy anyways. If you have any specific suggestions, or if anybody wants to work with me to get a nice design, let me know.

I'm no better at the layout stuff than you are, but I've read that it's good practice to use x-small, small, medium, large, etc (I had to avoid making a regular expression for that, haha) in place of explicit measurements like <x>pt or <x>px.  Depending on the font, small or medium usually works the best.  Maybe take a look at the sizes that some of the websites you like uses (SMF)?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 11:28:15 pm »
I generally go with a size 14~ or so Sans Serif.. What size+face is the one you're using now?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 11:35:20 pm »
White is too hardcore.  Go with a soft blue or gray or something like that.  Also, it'd be great if you could add in Upload Directory or something so that I can upload a whole folder without having to select all 60 files individually.