Author Topic: Northern Illinois University shooting  (Read 7607 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Illinois University shooting
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:02:30 am »
Statistics show that people with concealed carry permits are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than a person without.
Statistics also show that people without guns are far less likely to shoot others.

Warrior, the only laws that would change this is allowing students to carry on campus.  Even if ALL manufacturing of guns was prohibited, someone would do it anyway.  Allowing guns everywhere is the only other law that might change this situation.
...unless...you know...EVERYBODY decided to go on a rampage.  I want you to give me PROOF that the only way to prevent shootings is to let everybody have a gun.

BigAznDaddy, how many school shootings have happened this YEAR though?  Like 5 I think?  A couple of school bus ones, a couple of high school ones, and now this university.  Cops OBVIOUSLY cannot protect us so we should be allowed to protect ourselves.
*also* I did already say my prayers and thoughts for those involved in this tragedy :(
Yeah, cops can't help us.  Neither can the army, the national guard, the navy, the air force, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, Area 51, the military police, bologna sandwiches, vigilantes, stones, guns, swords, the Power Rangers, Hitler, Castro, Stalin, God, Xenu, banana hammocks, or pizza.  Obviously the only way to save humanity is to liquidate every living person.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 09:21:04 am »
Yeah, cops can't help us.  Neither can the army, the national guard, the navy, the air force, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, Area 51, the military police, bologna sandwiches, vigilantes, stones, guns, swords, the Power Rangers, Hitler, Castro, Stalin, God, Xenu, banana hammocks, or pizza.  Obviously the only way to save humanity is to liquidate every living person.
I love how you rated "Xenu" just below the Power Rangers but above pizza. :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:47 am »
Well, the Power Rangers have a transforming space ship, and Xenu just has a regular one.  Unfortunately, pizza doesn't have a spaceship.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 09:30:33 am »

BigAznDaddy, how many school shootings have happened this YEAR though?  Like 5 I think?  A couple of school bus ones, a couple of high school ones, and now this university.  Cops OBVIOUSLY cannot protect us so we should be allowed to protect ourselves.
*also* I did already say my prayers and thoughts for those involved in this tragedy :(

yeah i know i was talking about university shootings, but there also was that mall shooting and that one shooting that almost happened at a church until a security guard shot him. and yes i like right to carry a weapon but seriously i dont trust every day people to be carrying them.  i mean the other day this guy in my class was drunk and it was like damn we are here to learn something *hypothetically* not to dick around. anyways i think teachers, professors, some staff should carry weapons if anyone on campus carries them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 09:37:05 am »
Well, the Power Rangers have a transforming space ship, and Xenu just has a regular one.  Unfortunately, pizza doesn't have a spaceship.
Correction: they have FIVE transforming ships! More if you count the later seasons (I don't)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 09:38:36 am »
I'm talking about the spaceship though, not the zords.  And if you count the zords, they have the 5 normal ones, then the Godzilla thing (green zord) and the giant white one, which gives them 7.  But the issue of their spaceworthyness is never directly addressed.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:10 am »
Statistics show that people with concealed carry permits are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than a person without.citation needed
http://www.ncpa.org/press/nrsb052600.html

Statistics show that people with concealed carry permits are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than a person without.
Statistics also show that people without guns are far less likely to shoot others.
True but irrelevant as criminals will always have guns until the day that no guns exist on this planet which is so improbable it's practically impossible.

Warrior, the only laws that would change this is allowing students to carry on campus.  Even if ALL manufacturing of guns was prohibited, someone would do it anyway.  Allowing guns everywhere is the only other law that might change this situation.
...unless...you know...EVERYBODY decided to go on a rampage.  I want you to give me PROOF that the only way to prevent shootings is to let everybody have a gun.
No one can PROVE anything, you can only take the statistics and see that "an armed society is a polite society."  Look at the link I posted about the Texas law.

yeah i know i was talking about university shootings, but there also was that mall shooting and that one shooting that almost happened at a church until a security guard shot him. and yes i like right to carry a weapon but seriously i dont trust every day people to be carrying them.  i mean the other day this guy in my class was drunk and it was like damn we are here to learn something *hypothetically* not to dick around. anyways i think teachers, professors, some staff should carry weapons if anyone on campus carries them.
What makes their lives more important than mine that they can protect themselves and I cannot?  Personally, I'm much more reasonable than many professors on campus.  They live in the world of academia, that is FAR from the real world.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:58:14 am by CrAz3D »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 10:42:10 am »
They live in the world of academia, that is FAR from the real world.

BS.  They're closer to the "real world" than politicians ever are. :P

Seriously, just because they tend to focus on things that are hypothetical or theoretical (which is clearly not always true) does not mean they're necessarily detached from the "real world."  That's a stupid term anyway.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:47:08 am by Sidoh »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 10:46:39 am »
True but irrelevant as criminals will always have guns until the day that no guns exist on this planet which is so improbable it's practically impossible.
s/criminals/you/; s/guns/bad ideas/;

No one can PROVE anything, you can only take the statistics and see that "an armed society is a polite society."  Look at the link I posted about the Texas law.
If you can't PROVE it's the only way, then stop blabbing about how it is.  And Texans are definitely NOT the most polite people.  Look at Sweden or Switzerland or the Netherlands.  They all have heavy restrictions on weapons, and they also happen to be some of the nicest people on the planet.

What makes their lives more important than mine that they can protect themselves and I cannot?  Personally, I'm much more reasonable than many professors on campus.  They live in the world of academia, that is FAR from the real world.
They have degrees which say they are allowed to teach people things.  You are just some guy who keeps spewing nonsense and annoying people.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 10:56:53 am »
rabbit, in response to your post, part by part:

1) ???

2) It's the only efficient way to do it aside from completely unreasonable and expensive measures that could never be justified (it'd be complete and INTENSE martial law)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:34 am »

Don't forget /g! :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 10:59:25 am »
I agree that the gun debate should not be in this thread.
agreed now moment of silence for those that passed away *silence*

k now this is the second fatal school shooting in a year wtf. something needs to be done. and guns although i like trained people to have them do not seem to be the answer on campuses. now instead students should carry tazers now that may have an impact....

Take the school aspect out of it. Schools are just another place it happens. I heard on the news only a few days ago that a guy got shot on the street in Madison, and they said they didn't think the guy had a motive. Even if he did, he shouldn't have been able to have a gun. How many fatal shootings have there been in the US over the past year?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

What kind of transportation do Hitler, Castro and Stalin use then?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:17 am »

Don't forget /g! :)

No wonder I got confused!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 11:15:05 am »

What kind of transportation do Hitler, Castro and Stalin use then?
Hitler had the Wermacht, which pretty much forced the rest of the world to develop technology double-time.  Castro make cigars, and Stalin was a fucking badass.