Author Topic: Elizabeth City State University "gunman"  (Read 4000 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Elizabeth City State University "gunman"
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333069,00.html

1) That school is going to be sued for millions in "emotional distress" law suits.
2) What FARKING IDIOT thought that drill up?!
3) 10 minutes for the police to respond to a gunman that they knew about?!  If THAT doesn't make a good case for concealed carry on campus I don't know what does.

It would be interesting to see what would've played out if a student was carrying, I bet the gunman would be down and that the student would be exonerated.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth City State University "gunman"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:05:47 pm »
I absolutely hate responding to your news stories. Here's why:

• The title is misleading, and after finding out about the real story, I do not want to bother responding.
  • Your commentary comes off as a rant. Proof?

1) That school is going to be sued for millions in "emotional distress" law suits.

That's great if you believe that. This is probably the least-frustrating response.

2) What FARKING IDIOT thought that drill up?!

You could have gotten the point across just as well -- if not better -- if you avoided USING OVERLY ACTIVE SENTENCES (THE ! WITH THE ? WAS NOT NECESSARY) THAT DIDN'T INVOLVE CAPS LOCK OR PROFANE WORDS (POORLY CENSORED) AND DEROGATORY INSULTS TO SOMEONE WHO GETS PAID TO DO THEIR JOB. Some people here might actually think that it was a good exercise.

I personally do. The gun was a red plastic toy gun, and the assailant was a campus police officer. Maybe it's different for larger schools/universities, but I know and recognize all the campus security at my school. Next, he said he was going to kill the student with the lowest GPA because he needed a lung transplant. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound very menacing. How is he to check or confirm? On top of all of this, they sent out BOTH e-mails and text messages to notify people of the drill. It's a perfect check if the system works, and apparently it doesn't work as well as it should.

3) 10 minutes for the police to respond to a gunman that they knew about?!  If THAT doesn't make a good case for concealed carry on campus I don't know what does.

[4) ]It would be interesting to see what would've played out if a student was carrying [a handgun], I bet the gunman would be down and that the student would be exonerated.

Nothing makes for a good case for "concealed carry on campus." Ten minutes is a fine amount of time for the police to get there. The risks in having students "packing heat" FAR outweighs the benefits that there are. How often is a school shot up? Is it worth carrying a gun for the ~3 days every year this occurs, when the other 362 pose risks?

And if a student was indeed carrying a gun, and unloaded a clip into the shooter before confirming he was a threat (you know, you could point the gun at the attacker and talk him down, and I'm sure once he "surrendered" and saw he was carrying a red plastic toy gun and wasn't an actual threat) he'd be going to jail or at the very least, losing his CWP (concealed weapons permit? dunno).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:08:34 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:22:46 pm »
ECSU "gunman" ... there was a "gunman" on the ECSU campus.  It wasn't a real one, but the students didn't know that, that's why I said "gunman."

Of course what I write about the story is a rant/opinion.  If I were to JUST post the article everyone would get mad.  Also, there is not much reason in summarizing a short article, it's short already.

Oh, it's someone's job to scare people on university campuses?  Cool!  I want that job, I'd be super awesome at it.

Pink and real as all get out.  If you're carrying something that looks like a gun it's smartest to not doing anything that's going to put your life in danger (i.e. storming a classroom with it).

Even though the notice was sent out on the same day, it obviously didn't work ... I don't think putting someone in a position as they did is the best means to test a communications system.

In 10 minutes a gunman with enough ammunition could kill a room of 100 people and still have time to take cover, shoot at cops, and then kill himself.  10 minutes is ENTIRELY too long.

If the student was truly in fear of his life, liike the professor mentioned, he'd get off scott free.  The university created the situation and the student believe (as did everyone in the room) that they were dealing with a real intruder ... red gun or not, someone pointing a gun or "gun" at you is nothing to be neglectful of.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
i think this drill was pretty good to do. we have drills at our school that are presented and people know about it and dont act seriously. in a situation such as this they get the real threat.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:10 pm »

I win.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:40:57 pm »
i think this drill was pretty good to do. we have drills at our school that are presented and people know about it and dont act seriously. in a situation such as this they get the real threat.
And you wouldnt be hella scared/freaked out/pissed off if you were held hostage then found out it was fake?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:00:29 pm »
Nothing makes for a good case for "concealed carry on campus." Ten minutes is a fine amount of time for the police to get there. The risks in having students "packing heat" FAR outweighs the benefits that there are. How often is a school shot up? Is it worth carrying a gun for the ~3 days every year this occurs, when the other 362 pose risks?

As much as I hate to agree with Craz3d, try telling that to the families of the victims.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:31:27 pm »
As much as I hate to agree with Craz3d, try telling that to the families of the victims.

Parents are clearly overwhelmingly likely to become involved with the gun control battle, but I completely disagree that the side they'll join is clear.  In fact, I'd expect them to be for gun control.

By the way, I didn't read the article or Crazed's posts, so sorry if I'm missing something important.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:31:10 am »

Parents are clearly overwhelmingly likely to become involved with the gun control battle, but I completely disagree that the side they'll join is clear.  In fact, I'd expect them to be for gun control.

By the way, I didn't read the article or Crazed's posts, so sorry if I'm missing something important.

73% of americans believe that the 2nd amendment guarantees individual gun ownership, FYI.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-02-26-guns-cover_N.htm

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 12:38:27 am »
73% of americans believe that the 2nd amendment guarantees individual gun ownership, FYI.

That means nothing to me and it means even less in the context of the argument I made in my previous post.  A very small percentage of people have had a direct relative killed in a shooting and wouldn't sway that statistic in any noticeable way.  That's not even the point I was trying to make.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 12:59:01 am »

That means nothing to me and it means even less in the context of the argument I made in my previous post.  A very small percentage of people have had a direct relative killed in a shooting and wouldn't sway that statistic in any noticeable way.  That's not even the point I was trying to make.

Sorry, I didn't read your post and just wrote a response to it anyway  :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:01:57 am »

I wasn't responding to your post initially.  I was responding to a comment Joe made, which could have easily been independently discussed.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 01:05:36 am »

I wasn't responding to your post initially.  I was responding to a comment Joe made, which could have easily been independently discussed.

But I wouldn't know that since I didn't read your post ::).  You're a silly goose.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 01:15:54 am »
But I wouldn't know that since I didn't read your post ::).  You're a silly goose.

The comment I made wasn't meant to be a disclaimer to convince you to excuse gaps in my reasoning.  It was me saying "I don't want to participate in the main discussion here, because I've already tried and I've come to realize it's an exercise in futility."

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:21:06 am »

The comment I made wasn't meant to be a disclaimer to convince you to excuse gaps in my reasoning.  It was me saying "I don't want to participate in the main discussion here, because I've already tried and I've come to realize it's an exercise in futility."

I'm sorry, I didn't read this post either ... but I'm going to reply anyway, whether or not I'm on topic or not is irrelevant.