Author Topic: SATs  (Read 10667 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: SATs
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 02:25:19 am »
You have excellent SATs, and just because you didn't get into Caltech doesn't mean you won't get into another Ivy League-level school. The more you applied to the better chances you have.

(deleted rant and other things that were kind of pointless)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:59:11 pm by Ender »

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:55 pm »
I think I need to clear things up a bit. I'm aware that these are generally good scores, but I come from a school where this is the norm. I should've explained (I thought I had explained it before) that although I'm a fairly good test take, I suck grade-wise, and my GPA is much too low. As some people might have been, I'm a college confidential whore, and I always check to see where I stand comparatively. There are these crazy asians who follow this and from what I've basically surmised, is that to secure acceptance into any elite schools, you need to start off with a perfect in math (which I didn't get) and very high CR/W scores, which even after studying, I failed to do in writing. There are kids this year who applied to my choice colleges that not only got better SATs that I did, but had a higher overall GPA and some did much more interesting extracurriculars. They were rejected from their first pick, and some even from their second. My first college choice is the California Institute of Technology, a very, very small but very, very, good college in California. My friend and I (who had worse SATs than I did btw) both applied to a program there that is really amazing (Newby should know what I'm talking about I think). He was waitlisted (eventually rejected) but I was straight up rejected. I've really started to worry I will not able to go to any of my 1st/2nd pick colleges and that I would be forced to go to an in-state college. The in-state colleges in my state are actually very good, but once you'ved lived in Florida for so long, it all seems the same and I really need a change of environment. So basically my question was, are my SAT scores good enough to get me into the best colleges even though I'm suffering in other aspects? Are these scores good enough for admissions officers to be like "well, look at this young nigga, even though he got some Bs and shit, I can see from the SAT scores he's good peoples"?

Falcon: my unweighted GPA is probably 3.5 or less. I'm scared to find out.

Trust: I am not looking below Ivy League. (Although I don't particularly want to go them, just a college at their level (eg, Duke/Vanderbilt/etc).

Perhaps I've been disillusioned by the 4000 studious asians at my school.

Seriously, you're upset that you scored less than 100 points away from a perfect score on your SAT. Do you prefer to be thrown in a trashcan or stuffed into a locker?

haha
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 02:31:58 am »
I learned today that this girl with almost the same resume as me is going to community college, she got rejected/waitlisted from all her choices.  ??? :-\
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 02:34:10 am »
I learned today that this girl with almost the same resume as me is going to community college, she got rejected/waitlisted from all her choices.  ??? :-\

Two words: safety schools.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 03:46:07 am »
She applied to two state schools...that's as close as you can get to a safety school here..

trust

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 07:33:17 am »
Go to an historically black college. There's one near me and you could get like half of your tuition paid for if you had at least a 2.0. hahhaah

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 08:02:10 am »
Two words: recommendation letters

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 08:02:37 am »
Two words: no penis

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 09:40:54 am »
She applied to two state schools...that's as close as you can get to a safety school here..

The UCs had 45-50K applicants on average, and I got in with a 3.0 unweighted to UC Santa Barbara/UC Davis... I refuse to believe that. :P
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 04:17:16 pm »
Hey, I *think* I can manage a 3.0! Newby, see you at Davis next year?~
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

trust

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 04:24:39 pm »

Newby has the in-state advantage.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:26 pm »

Not to mention he had good test scores.  I don't mean to say Joe won't, but I think his scores were all in the top 1% or so?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 07:37:46 pm »
My intelligence is perpetuated by my common sense; it is this common sense that renders me  superior to those whom are disgruntled.

This is horribly written.  I'm not just trying to be a jerk either.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 08:14:06 pm »

~99% in-state at UC Davis. Good luck joe!
- Newby

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:54 pm »
My intelligence is perpetuated by my common sense; it is this common sense that renders me  superior to those whom are disgruntled.

This is horribly written.  I'm not just trying to be a jerk either.

lol, It's a quote from one of the funniest Jamaican comedians ever; I think it's hilarious.